gaining muscle size while losing fat help

Options
Been working out for about a year now and I am not a small guy in general. I'm 36 years old, 6'2" and 220lbs at the moment. I dont care too much about the actual number I weigh but how I look and feel in my clothes.

I try to work out about 3-4 times per week. I switch it up and do heavy days lower reps and light days higher reps but I dont have a strict workout regiment. I have seen muscle development over the past year and am happy with some initial results in my muscle gains but I am still not losing fat and I would like to see more muscle gains.

If anyone else is also in this situation, can anyone please help me to figure out if I need to use the Myfitnesspal app to lose weight or gain weight as these look like the only option but I need to technically do both. Any help to get me on the right path is much appreciated. Thanks!!!

Replies

• joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I spent the better part of a year chasing the dream of "gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time", and wasted more money than I'd care to admit to on junk fat-burning supplements while jumping from workout to workout from "experts" on Bodybuilding.com and other such sites, before giving it up as a fool's errand.

Outside of "newbie gains", the strength and muscle gains you'll experience will be minimal at best while eating at a deficit to lose fat.

As the above commenter said, lifting will likely be geared toward retaining the muscle mass you have now while trying to lose fat.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    I gained LBM (which includes but is not limited to muscle) while losing fat over the past 12 months.

It was technically a recomp and, while my LBM increased by 6# and my BF decreased by 10#. I only lost 4# overall from 162 to 158 and dropped my BF (as measured by hydro) from 16 to 10%.

So, while my musculature became more defined, I did not gain any noticeable bulk or size, which is fine w/me because that was not my objective.

You can read the details of my experience in my "Ready to Recomp" thread posted in the Maintaining Weight subforum.
  • TaninaFit
    TaninaFit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Following this
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    the_prez3 wrote: »
    Beyond some minor muscle gains when you first begin training, there are only three people who can do both at the same time.

1 People who are new to training and/or have lots of fat to lose can do both for a short period of time.
    2 People who are genetic freaks.
    3 People who are using drugs.

This simply not true.

I'm none of the above and was able to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. Not a lot but I was able to do it.

There was a link to an article posted by psuLemon in another thread awhile ago outlining how it can be done by other than newbies, freaks and drug users.

I'll see if I can find it.

• Jonnydebrasco
    Jonnydebrasco Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this for a very long time now and personally i have seen all kinds of crap! Do yourself a huge favour and get a proper program first.

After that you have to decide what you really want, do you want to get big or do you want to loose weight totally up to you. We are all different so no matter what anyone says it might or probably not work for you.

Personally what i do is bulk up in the winter and closer to summer i start my cut but very controlled as you dont want to loose all the hard work you did.

Good luck with the adventure
  • LongevityRob
    LongevityRob Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    What does a typical week of training look like for you?

What does a typical week of eating look like for you?
  • the_prez3
    the_prez3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I too tried to do both with almost no success. Beyond some minor muscle gains when you first begin training, there are only three people who can do both at the same time.
    1 People who are new to training and/or have lots of fat to lose can do both for a short period of time.
    2 People who are genetic freaks.
    3 People who are using drugs.

You just have to pick one goal at a time, train and eat to accomplish that goal.

I forgot to add that people who’ve built muscle in the past will exhibit the muscle memory phenomenon and can do it as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can gain muscle while losing body fat. You just need to eat the right amount of protein and carbs, yet stay at a slight calorie deficit. If you know what your TDEE is that would really help, just eat slightly under that and follow the recommendations for carbs/protein.
    Yes recomp is possible. Just be sure you have a lot of patience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

img
  • natester15
    natester15 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. You just need to try and keep your body in an anabolic state as much as possible throughout the day. This means consuming a protein source every 2-3 hours. By doing this your body will be primarily using fat as a fuel source while building muscle.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    natester15 wrote: »
    You can gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. You just need to try and keep your body in an anabolic state as much as possible throughout the day. This means consuming a protein source every 2-3 hours. By doing this your body will be primarily using fat as a fuel source while building muscle.

Substrate utilization is irrelevant to muscle gain. And it doesn't work that way anyway.
  • the_prez3
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You’re more than welcome to try it and follow some of these suggestions but you will end up frustrated by your lack of progress. To lose body fat, requires a caloric deficit. To gain muscle mass, requires a caloric surplus. Can’t do both at the same time unless you’re one of the people I mentioned on my previous post. Save yourself the trouble and work on one goal at a time if you want to move the needle one way or another with any significant results. There’s a reason why periodization is so useful.

I know that’s not a popular answer and there’s people out there that want to believe or sell something to folks claiming you can but it’s simply not true. I wish it was but the sooner you accept it and choose the goal first that’s most important to you, the sooner you can start making progress.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,393 MFP Moderator
    Options
  • the_prez3
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

As I said before, an untrained person with significant fat to lose will be able to achieve this for a brief period of time, a previously trained person who has built muscle before and has since detrained, a genetically gifted person, or someone who is on drugs. All of these people can do both, for the rest of us, we can only do one at a time.
  • psuLemon
    Options

As I said before, an untrained person with significant fat to lose will be able to achieve this for a brief period of time, a previously trained person who has built muscle before and has since detrained, a genetically gifted person, or someone who is on drugs. All of these people can do both, for the rest of us, we can only do one at a time.

And considering the OP is over weight and hasnt consistently trained for 2 years, he is still a beginner.
  • the_prez3
    Options

And considering the OP is over weight and hasnt consistently trained for 2 years, he is still a beginner.

I agree but that will be a brief time and not a long term thing. I believe I mentioned it twice.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I agree but that will be a brief time and not a long term thing. I believe I mentioned it twice.

I am not even sure your argument. I am noy necessarily disagreeing with you. I was just posting the actual science.

And as an aside, most people assume a few months for newbie gains, which its actually longer.

But if you look at my advice, we are on the same page.

And even more, it wont matter unless he is going to get regular DEXA scans.