So.Much.Food!!!

Options
Does it get any easier?!? My MFP suggests that I eat 1980 calories a day. I actually need more on days like yesterday when I had rehearsal and was dancing for an hour. I was all excited thinking I'd actually hit my goal, only to enter my exercise and see I was short 230 calories!!

What I am wondering is does it get easier to eat all this food?! Right now I still have over 1200 calories left for today, it's 1:30 and the idea of needing to eat lunch makes me want to cry! I'm so full!

Maybe 3 meals and 3 snacks isn't going to work and I need to focus on getting more calories into each meal so I can snack less?? I just don't know but I don't like feeling so discouraged already! Any advice?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    ETA: saw that it was in gaining weight. Don't get to see the forum title in "recent" on the mobile app.

Unfortunately, I don't have experience with this but there are a lot of lovely, helpful folks on here. Best of luck!!!
  • kfischer1018
    kfischer1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    @aeloine I need to gain. I'm currently 94 lbs and my goal is 115 lbs.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I'd love to have your issue. My goal is 2400 a day and I always feel like I'm starving! (I'm averaging 2-3 lbs a month gain, so I know my number is right). Try including more calorie-dense foods (PB, butter, fattier cuts of meat, full fat dairy) into your diet.
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    Choose foods higher in calories. Full fat dairy, peanut butter, avocado.

Choose higher calorie protein sources. Instead of chicken breast, go for a fattier cut of steak.

Avoid high volume, low cal foods like leafy greens, celery, etc.

Drink your calories. Get a whole milk latte or chai tea.

And ice cream. Always ice cream. Pints of Ben and Jerry's should hook you up.

I think I'm going to have get over my aversion to ice cream in the winter! Lol Thank you for the advice!
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    I'd love to have your issue. My goal is 2400 a day and I always feel like I'm starving! (I'm averaging 2-3 lbs a month gain, so I know my number is right). Try including more calorie-dense foods (PB, butter, fattier cuts of meat, full fat dairy) into your diet.

Wow! I definitely would be crying at 2400 calories! Lol I honestly felt like all I've done the past 2 days is eat!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Choose foods higher in calories. Full fat dairy, peanut butter, avocado.

Choose higher calorie protein sources. Instead of chicken breast, go for a fattier cut of steak.

Avoid high volume, low cal foods like leafy greens, celery, etc.

Drink your calories. Get a whole milk latte or chai tea.

And ice cream. Always ice cream. Pints of Ben and Jerry's should hook you up.

I think I'm going to have get over my aversion to ice cream in the winter! Lol Thank you for the advice!

This does not compute in my world! :laugh:
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    @quiksylver296 nor in my husband's! :D
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Nut butters are my go to.

Very little volume for a big amount of calories.
  • kfischer1018
    Options

I decided to suck it up, stop whining and went to the kitchen and made a half a peanut butter sandwich and poured a glass of milk. That got me up another 400 something calories! I'll take it! Peanut butter every day! Lol
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I decided to suck it up, stop whining and went to the kitchen and made a half a peanut butter sandwich and poured a glass of milk. That got me up another 400 something calories! I'll take it! Peanut butter every day! Lol

I don't even bother with the bread, just a spoon.

Milks good, so is fruit juice.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It takes time but you get used to it. The amount of calories I have to eat to gain is really dumb plus on top of that add breastfeeding. Oysh.

Eventually you will get used to eating more. Try not to get too discouraged in the beginning if you can't hit your goal somedays, you can try to add more the next day or by the end of the week (although I try not to make that a habit because it can snowball over time for many people).

Adding calorie dense foods helps, eating every few hours starting as soon as you wake up, adding oils and sauces to things, etc.

This thread is really helpful for more food and tips:
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    cookie dough.
    chocolate bar(s).
    cookies.
    croissants.
    fudge.
    wine.
    sticky rice in custard or sweetened milk/cream.
    anything drowned in cream.
    tres leches cake (speaking of drowning in cream).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    baklava.
    avocado with mayonnaise.
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    @sardelsa thank you for the link and the advice!
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

PB on chocolate squares.

Yum!! Bonus points if it's dark chocolate?!?
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    @ritzvin I think I need to give myself permission for dessert every day! Your suggestions are delicious!
  • Ciaraphd
    Ciaraphd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oils really boost your calories. A tablespoon of flax oil in a smoothie is more than 100 calories. Same for coconut, olive oil, butter, etc. Also dry fruit and trail mix, granola, waffles, maple syrup, pancakes have a ton of calories. If you need to catch up on calories one full fast food meal or nachos with toppings will give you around 1000 calories at once.