So.Much.Food!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    When I was on a meal plan for anorexia recovery, I was eating between 3500 and 4000 cals per day, gaining maybe .5 lb per week. It was hard, and I didn't start at that many calories. I had to build it up over time. I set out my meal plan with my dietician and stopped giving myself the option to not eat. Even if I wasn't hungry, I had to sit down and eat. I ate at the same times everyday and that helped regulate my body to get used to eating again.

Also, choose the higher calorie options of foods- bread that is 120 cals/slice instead of 90. Whole milk, whole yogurt, granola instead of cereal, alfredo instead of marinara. Cook with oil, butter your bread, use mayo on sandwiches, put nuts in your cereal, drink juice. Little things add up!
  • kfischer1018
    kfischer1018 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Ciaraphd! I didn't think about adding oils to smoothies!
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Even if I wasn't hungry, I had to sit down and eat. I ate at the same times everyday and that helped regulate my body to get used to eating again.

I think this is a huge part of it for me! I cannot eat if I'm not hungry (it actually makes me feel sick if I do) so forcing myself to is hard for me! It's a mind over matter for sure. I hope you've had luck in your recovery! Thanks for the advice!

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Choose foods higher in calories. Full fat dairy, peanut butter, avocado.

Choose higher calorie protein sources. Instead of chicken breast, go for a fattier cut of steak.

Avoid high volume, low cal foods like leafy greens, celery, etc.

Drink your calories. Get a whole milk latte or chai tea.

And ice cream. Always ice cream. Pints of Ben and Jerry's should hook you up.

I think I'm going to have get over my aversion to ice cream in the winter! Lol Thank you for the advice!

Eat your ice cream by the fire place. :smiley:
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Drink your calories. Add oil to things. Peanut Butter/Nut Butter is your friend. I manage to eat/drink about 2000 calories everyday. I lost on 1200 - 1300. I had to give myself permission to add things that I once "couldn't" have because of the calorie restriction. Add in nibbles of chocolate. Do you like beer/wine/booze? There ya go! But this took like 3 months to get into my little pea size brain. It takes times, you don't just eat all the food, right, the first day...
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    like many have already mentioned.....calorie dense foods are your friends! Nut butters / Oils / etc... Very easy to get calories that way and not feel bloated either.
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    Choose foods higher in calories. Full fat dairy, peanut butter, avocado.

Choose higher calorie protein sources. Instead of chicken breast, go for a fattier cut of steak.

Avoid high volume, low cal foods like leafy greens, celery, etc.

Drink your calories. Get a whole milk latte or chai tea.

And ice cream. Always ice cream. Pints of Ben and Jerry's should hook you up.

I think I'm going to have get over my aversion to ice cream in the winter! Lol Thank you for the advice!

Eat your ice cream by the fire place. :smiley:

Hahaha...I wish I had one! It currently feels like -4 degrees right now! But I'm drinking a large mango pineapple smoothie so that's at least something I guess!
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    @kristen8000 I do like wine, a few locally brewed beers and I'm big on bourbon (KY girl!!) and vodka. I try not to drink more than once or twice a week though. But it's nice to know that counts!
    And chocolate, yes please!! Lol
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    @kristen8000 I do like wine, a few locally brewed beers and I'm big on bourbon (KY girl!!) and vodka. I try not to drink more than once or twice a week though. But it's nice to know that counts!
    And chocolate, yes please!! Lol

Oh yeah, booze calories count...and yes, it's healthier to restrict to 1 to 2 days a week, but if you need some extra calories, it's there. I had a hard time fitting it in when I was losing, but now, it's on! LOL

I'd also consider protein shakes if Ice Cream sounds like a bad idea. To me, ice cream is an all year treat - especially Talieti Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup! LOL I always say there is always room for ice cream because it melts and fits in the cracks...
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    Barfly57 wrote: »
    1 cup whole milk @150 cal
    2 scoops chocolate whey powder @260 cal
    3 tbsp peanut butter @280 cal

Blend and add coffee to make 20 oz total
    = venti reese's cup frap @690+/- cal

That sounds delicious! Thank you!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Full fat dairy, oil on or on pretty much everything, nut butters, as has been said above. Take it slowly (I had the same issues as you to start with and still can't eat large volumes of food) Drink your calories if you don't feel like eating. Eat smaller more frequent meals.
  • CowboySar
    CowboySar Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, as I just upped my cals, fats, carbs, proteins. All I did is add 1 extra meal and a some coconut oil to get them up. It doesn't seem so bad right now.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    :'(
  • judsoncooper
    judsoncooper Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter on apples, add dry milk to whole milk and do a protein shake. I use muscl blast, with the milk mixture its right at 1000 calories for 2 cups.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Nuts and dried food are your best friends for low volume high calories.
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    Thank you guys for all of the advice and encouragement! I have found that as I stuck to it it has definitely gotten easier. I found the more I eat (even when I don't want to) the more my appetite has reved up! The last few days I haven't had very many problems eating my 1980 calories (in fact, 2 days in a row I went over!!) and I didn't feel nearly as full when it was time for the next meal. I really do appreciate all of the advice you guys are willing to give!
  • BJSwail
    BJSwail Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Go for lots of natural oils, nut butters, heavy milk/cream. Look at what you can add to your existing diet to increase caloric density without much added volume. Throw some chocolate chips into your pancakes, try em with peanut butter on top and fry in butter. Ice cream not quite doing it? Mix in a few spoons of peanut butter. Have cheese on that burger. Make fresh guac and cheesy nachos. Don't be afraid to drink your calories. A late night milkshake w peanut butter can easily sneak in a bunch of Cal's. Best of luck
  • kfischer1018
    Options
    Thanks @BJSwail. Peanut butter on my pancakes is one of my favorite things ever since I was a kid! I've really been trying to bulk up the foods I'm already eating instead of snacking so much in between meals. Adding shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream to my chili, adding nuts and cheese to my salad, adding sour cream and guac to my tacos and come on, what is a burger without cheese? lol I found just adding shredded cheese and sour cream to a bowl of chili adds almost 200 calories!! I'm slowly but surely learning the tricks and I appreciate how willing everyone on this board is to help.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Barfly57 wrote: »
    1 cup whole milk @150 cal
    2 scoops chocolate whey powder @260 cal
    3 tbsp peanut butter @280 cal

Blend and add coffee to make 20 oz total
    = venti reese's cup frap @690+/- cal

I do the same with less peanut butter. Maintaining instead of bulking right now. Still really fricken good. The nice part its 60+grams of protein. Makes it easier to hit my high protein goal.

For more of a dessert take out the coffee and throw in a banana or 2. Yum!