Initial Training/Lifting Plan Advice

Options
This is my previous post for a bit of back story and pictures - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10629350/advice-please#latest

So today I met my trainer and had all my measurements taken etc and came out as this:
Height: 6 foot 2
Weight: 87kg
Body Fat %: 19.7
Fat Free mass: 70.3kg
Muscle Mass: 66.8kg
Basic Metabolic Rate: 2079kcal

My plan is to start a cutting phase to get rid of one body fat whilst maintaining muscle before I even consider bulking, much further down the line.

I've set MFP to lose 1lb per week, which gave me a suggested kcal intake of 2168kcal, and macros I set as:
Carbs: 207g
Fat: 60g
Protein: 200g

I met my trainer today, but due to the size of the gym and the amount of equipment, I have to have 2 one-hour inductions (half of the equipment each time) and then finally a session (mine is on the 20th Jan) to discuss my targets and set a training plan.

Obviously that's 10 days away and I want to get started with a basic strength training routine, aiming to train 4 or 5 days a week, and not leaving it a week between muscle groups.

Does anyone have a really simple plan and reps etc that they would recommend for me? I'm a complete novice to all this! Or any pointers for where to look?

Thanks!

Replies

• jbean1990
    jbean1990 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which is best for me? Any tips?
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    It looks from the post linked and this post you are a novice lifter or will be. I recommend the link @RoxieDawn provided. Read up on the beginner ones and go from there.

Personally, I ran Starting Strength for my novice program and found it great. I cannot comment on other programs but I started with it. After 6 months I had dropped 54 lbs by doing it, minor cardio 2-3 times a week, and watching my calories. I stopped cutting as I lift for strength and have been 245 since. I still follow programs recommended by Starting Strength coaches and in 8 months hit a 1130lbs powerlifting total.

I am not you or an expert. I am a 45-year-old male that did not exercise for 15 years. That program and ones from the same school of thought on lifting changed my life. I am strong by many definitions and now look like I lift instead of fat or skinny fat. I don't look like a bodybuilder just a big thick guy who has a bit of a v-taper. If your goal if more classic physique you may want to look at a different style of programming AFTER you finish a novice linear progression.

TL:DR - Pick a novice from the link above and run it for 3 months minimum.
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I note that your MFP cals for loosing are higher than your BMR your trainer gave you? All of these things are an estimate of course but did you include purposeful activity in your MFP set-up? Only the activity levels are set for non purposeful activities with purposeful exercise (strength training/cardio etc) added in on top. The most important thing to cut is a calorie deficit and that isn't made by exercise.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    why so much protein and little fat?
  • brendanwhite84
    brendanwhite84 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    SDpanda619 wrote: »
    As a beginner it’s important to understand the importance of nutrition. Give your body the calories to build the muscle. Train to failure. It’s truer in bodybuilding then just about anywhere else.... it’s a marathon not a sprint

How in the hell did this post get 4 'woo's? I'm not 100% sure about 'train to failure' per se but is somebody going to try to tell us that strength training is a 'sprint'??
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    As a beginner it’s important to understand the importance of nutrition. Give your body the calories to build the muscle. Train to failure. It’s truer in bodybuilding then just about anywhere else.... it’s a marathon not a sprint

How in the hell did this post get 4 'woo's? I'm not 100% sure about 'train to failure' per se but is somebody going to try to tell us that strength training is a 'sprint'??

You identified the issue correctly.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options

You identified the issue correctly.

Going to agree. I think training to failure is a great way to get injured and is not necessary. Training hard is IMHO but that’s different. The rest is not bad at all.