KETO

Options
So, does the KETO diet work for some of you? If so how long did it take your body to switch over ? I love read a lot of reviews but I guess you can never have to much info.
Thanks,

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Are you seeking a debate? I believe there's already a recent keto thread in the debate section if you are (here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10629284/keto-diet#latest).

(Just in case you did not know, and because I'm seeing the all caps a lot lately, keto is short for ketogenic, not an acronym. Not a correction, you can use caps as you prefer, obviously, but in case that is helpful information.)
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    It works for some, not for all. I was miserable doing keto. But I have a friend that really thrives doing it. If you want to try it, then try it. If it works for you, great. If not, no big deal. There are so many threads about keto recently, and tons of other information online as well. It's clearly very trendy right now. Read up about keto flu and how to mitigate or avoid it the best you can, perhaps try prepping your first week of meals at once so it is easy to stay on track.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Try the low carber daily and keto MFP groups. You'll get a lot of information there.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Try the low carber daily and keto MFP groups. You'll get a lot of information there.

I think that's a much better place to ask then the debates board since it's a question for information rather than a debate starter. Maybe a mod can move this to a more appropriate forum?
  • TyTravis007
    TyTravis007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    In my case, Keto lifestyle has been very beneficial.

Some background: I'm an endurance athlete and suffer from hypoglycemia. Before I started Keto I was under the traditional american diet (lots of carbs, avoidance of fat). Because I was following the American dietary guidelines, I've suffered from at least one glycemic event a week. I was very moody and had issues with being antsy.

Then I started keto when I was 16 (2015). After suffering through the week long "conversion" period (when your body starts getting used to using fat as a fuel source) I started to notice an incredible difference. My hypoglycemia has been non-existent, my endurance sports have improved drastically (I went from a 2:30:00 half marathon to a 1:58:00), I no longer became antsy, and my mood has improved greatly. Hell, my GPA has gotten significantly better since I went to keto!

Lots of people think fat makes you fat - that isn't true. Before I went keto I was 5'9 and 150 lbs (8% body fat). Now I'm 19 and I'm still 5'9 and... I'm still 150lbs (8% body fat).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Traditional American diet does not involve "avoidance of fats" but is considered on the high fat side, worldwide (problem is fats from not very nutrient dense but high cal foods too often). That goes along with the (on average) crazy high cals (for the amount of activity) in the average American diet. It's not as high fat as keto, and it also includes too many refined carbs on average and -- especially -- inadequate veg and fruit, but it's not a "high carb, low fat diet."

If one eats according to the actual guidelines, you'd probably have a pretty good diet. The SAD is nothing like the actual recommendations.

If one has a medical condition like hypoglycemia, one might wish to follow a specific diet. That does not mean everyone should. (I think keto works fine for many, but it's not the best diet for all, or even most, and certainly not healthier in general than the dietary guidelines would be, although if you do it right it can be very healthy, IMO.)

People don't think fat makes you fat any more (except for some outliers, it's not mainstream at all and has not been since before you were born).
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

I think that's a much better place to ask then the debates board since it's a question for information rather than a debate starter. Maybe a mod can move this to a more appropriate forum?

Yeah, good call.