Question - Personal Trainer

Options
Good morning everyone.

I want some insight into whether my suspicions are correct or not. I recently started seeing a personal trainer once a month to tailor a workout for me to strengthen me for my upcoming dragonboat season. We have had 3 sessions in total. I would work out with her for one session and then she would give me a workout based on my current level of fitness and targeting core and other muscles used in paddling. The next session we worked out together and she then amended the workout to harder and more challenging exercises. We met again for our third session last Friday and we did not have a follow up session booked yet. We did a harder session and while I was challenged I was ready for the new progression. I hadn't heard from her with my new workout so I emailed her yesterday asking for my new workout routine and she said she'd think on it and to continue with the previous workout and to confirm our next appointment.

My frustration is that I was ready for the next workout and I feel like she has opted to hold back my progression to ensure a future booking. I had fully intended to book another session however after that response I feel like I should not move forward with her. Am I overreacting?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Next time be sure to get your progression before you leave. You really can't know what her motive is. Maybe she had reasons to think you're not ready for it yet. Maybe she's busy. Maybe she doesn't have another "paddling" workout ready. I guess I wouldn't use that one thing as a reason to quit going. You said you intended to book again, so why not do it? You can't fault her for wanting another session. Everyone wants to work another day.
    PS I wouldn't focus just on muscles for one activity, because all activities and all of life require all muscle groups. If you're competitive or advanced athlete then yes you need a segment of specialized training, but that's not what it sounds like.
  • thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Next time be sure to get your progression before you leave. You really can't know what her motive is. Maybe she had reasons to think you're not ready for it yet. Maybe she's busy. Maybe she doesn't have another "paddling" workout ready. I guess I wouldn't use that one thing as a reason to quit going. You said you intended to book again, so why not do it? You can't fault her for wanting another session. Everyone wants to work another day.
    PS I wouldn't focus just on muscles for one activity, because all activities and all of life require all muscle groups. If you're competitive or advanced athlete then yes you need a segment of specialized training, but that's not what it sounds like.

I'm not faulting her for wanting another session at all. I get that part of it but I feel like she changed the script after the fact and left me stagnating in a routine that I was growing beyond to ensure I booked again. The workout is not muscle specific per se. It's really working on overall core as a supplement to the 3 hours of paddling I am doing now for the season. I might book another session but will lay out my expectation to have an amended workout to work with my progression going forward before the next one. It's not cheap at $70 per session and she's been pushing for me to see her several times a month.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I do fault her for not communicating the change, and sometimes that's a red flag with trainers. But like @erickirb said, most exercises can, and should, be progressed simply by increasing the weight used, or by increasing the reps or sets.. not by changing the exercise.

What @lorrpb is saying is to do a full-body strength program, including legs, not just your paddling muscles. I agree with this. :+1:
  • thebuz
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I do fault her for not communicating the change, and sometimes that's a red flag with trainers. But like @erickirb said, most exercises can, and should, be progressed simply by increasing the weight used, or by increasing the reps or sets.. not by changing the exercise.

What @lorrpb is saying is to do a full-body strength program, including legs, not just your paddling muscles. I agree with this. :+1:

Cherimoose - Thanks for your response. I also felt the change without communication was suspect. That's what put me on guard. The routine is full body strength and does include legs.

Warmup
    3 min cardio
    Worlds greatest stretch
    Inchworm to push up

Circuit 1:
    Deadlift 10 reps-20 lbs DB - have progressed to 55Lb barbell
    Incline push up-10 reps
    Squat 10 reps -20 lb DB - have progressed to 35lb but could do more but awkward so looking at barbell behind neck
    Plank 45 sec - doing this for 1:15 but can hold for longer

Circuit 2:
    Cable squat and row 15 reps- 15 lbs on each side - progressed to 30lb each side and ready to move up
    Plank with Cable row 10 each side - 15 lbs per side but ready to progress to 30lb
    Burpee- add push up 8reps
    Dead bug 20 reps

My last workout was different exercises but building on the progress made with this workout. Maybe you guys could share your thoughts on whether I can make real progress on this routine without amendments?

Appreciate all your feedback.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »

Cherimoose - Thanks for your response. I also felt the change without communication was suspect. That's what put me on guard. The routine is full body strength and does include legs.

Warmup
    3 min cardio
    Worlds greatest stretch
    Inchworm to push up

Circuit 1:
    Incline push up-10 reps
    Squat 10 reps -20 lb DB - have progressed to 35lb but could do more but awkward so looking at barbell behind neck

Circuit 2:
    Cable squat and row 15 reps- 15 lbs on each side - progressed to 30lb each side and ready to move up
    Plank with Cable row 10 each side - 15 lbs per side but ready to progress to 30lb
    Dead bug 20 reps

My last workout was different exercises but building on the progress made with this workout. Maybe you guys could share your thoughts on whether I can make real progress on this routine without amendments?

I don't have an issue with circuits in general, but circuits with big compound lifts in the same circuit. I would not be doing squats after doing deadlifts without adequate rest. She may have reasons for suggesting that, but I wouldn't be doing that myself.
  • thebuz
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Warmup
    3 min cardio
    Worlds greatest stretch
    Inchworm to push up

Circuit 1:
    Incline push up-10 reps

Circuit 2:
    Dead bug 20 reps

I don't have an issue with circuits in general, but circuits with big compound lifts in the same circuit. I would not be doing squats after doing deadlifts without adequate rest. She may have reasons for suggesting that, but I wouldn't be doing that myself.

Would you suggest swapping it with an exercise from circuit 2 to give some rest between the two?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can increase weights and/or reps on all of these until your next session.
    You also could follow your own program to stronglifts 5x5 or similar. There is a thread with all the links in the Gaining/BB forum and someone will probably post the link here. FYI, Stronglifts has you doing DL same day as squats and I do both all the time with no problems.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Where is the core part of the core workout?
    erickirb wrote: »

Warmup
    3 min cardio
    Worlds greatest stretch
    Inchworm to push up

Circuit 1:
    Incline push up-10 reps

Circuit 2:
    Dead bug 20 reps

Agree in general, but in this case, I don’t think the load or volume is heavy enough to be a concern.
    (Whoops—just reread the workout saw they were being done sequentially—that changes things)
  • thebuz
    Options
    Azdaq - Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. Here are some answers/comments/questions if you don't mind. :-)

Pushups - how do I continue progression? More pushups?

Squat weight being low - My last workout with the trainer had me doing a barbell squat with a 45lb barbell and we had both agreed I could go higher as I was able to complete with good form and I was not challenged enough.

Squat/row - My guess is she thought this would help with conditioning for my paddling however dragon boat paddling is very different in form from rowing so I agree with you that while an overall compound movement it may not be necessary component to my program. In dragon boat we hinge as far forward as possible and rotate and sit up with our core for the strength in our stroke. It is also one sided which also differs from rowing.

I can easily omit the plank portion of the workout and replace with a back exercise. My core gets a lot of work in our practices which have started.

I took a look at the single arm cable rows and I really want to give those a try! :-) I had the single arm dumbbell row in my original workout I started with but that was taken out for the routine you are commenting on.

Do you think I should replace plank w/cable row with pallof presses and cable chops or do them all and progress with weight as I go? Pallof presses were also in my original workout but she replaced them with the plank w/cable row.

I agree about the cardio as I run 3 miles every day on my lunch hour and now paddle for 3 hours a week so no need for additional cardio and who likes burpees anyways? LOL I had to do a modified version as I have bad knees. :-(

Deadbugs - I was doing them with the stability ball but will try doing them now with the weights to progress that further. Thanks for that suggestion.

In my last workout she had me doing farmers walk with 2 25lb barbells which I had good form throughout. Good addition? She also had me doing an exercise that had me use a bench much like a single arm dumbbell row however I was on tiptoes and was lifting my opposite leg to the arm pulling weight. Thoughts on this? This was a stability exercise I believe.

I do appreciate you taking the time to assist me. :-)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Pushup progressions are funny.

once you get to 20-30 for 3-4 sets, progression options include
    Cadence(slow/fast)
    Disadvantage(elevated feet or removing a ground point of contact foot or hand) etc

Varying height of hands or position of hands can also add disadvantage(when you're ready) Stability balls or balance devices(like round kettlebells or pushup grips can also be used)

You'll reach a point however where you're just maintaining your core strength---As a plank variant, pushups are pretty much the best core exercise outside of whole body push/pulls.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Regarding the dead bugs, great movement, but they are something you could move to your warmup rather than in the circuit. You can also use bands to progress the movement if you choose.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Regarding the dead bugs, great movement, but they are something you could move to your warmup rather than in the circuit. You can also use bands to progress the movement if you choose.

yeah- I would not include a dead bug as a regular work out exercise- it's a mobility/awareness training- but it's a therapy tool- and something to help-and while it's very important- it's not something I'd include as a workout.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Nothing against most trainers, but unless your trainer is really familiar with your chosen sport, they may struggle to really put together a program that will work best for you and your goals.

For me, as an example, I could try to explain to a trainer what is required for motorcycle racing, but unless they've done it themselves, it's going to be really hard for them to truly "get it." You may have a bit of the same issue. This is why I will go out of my way to find a trainer at the track who I KNOW knows what I need and what I'm talking about when I say that I "run out of power trying to turn the bike at 120mph..." The body movements and even the type of endurance and cardio is - well, unique. I get the impression the dragonboat is similar.

If you haven't had a good program in the past, it's going to be harder as you won't have much feedback for your trainer. However, if you feel things are too easy or you want to increase things, tell her that at the time. Speak up and be your own advocate! Nothing wrong with asking her to change it up if you feel it's missing something.

And if you're really not getting what you need, ask around your other boating friends and see if they have a trainer they recommend. You're still paying for a service, and your trainer may just not be familiar enough to set up an ideal program for you.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Nothing against most trainers, but unless your trainer is really familiar with your chosen sport, they may struggle to really put together a program that will work best for you and your goals.

For me, as an example, I could try to explain to a trainer what is required for motorcycle racing, but unless they've done it themselves, it's going to be really hard for them to truly "get it." You may have a bit of the same issue. This is why I will go out of my way to find a trainer at the track who I KNOW knows what I need and what I'm talking about when I say that I "run out of power trying to turn the bike at 120mph..." The body movements and even the type of endurance and cardio is - well, unique. I get the impression the dragonboat is similar.

If you haven't had a good program in the past, it's going to be harder as you won't have much feedback for your trainer. However, if you feel things are too easy or you want to increase things, tell her that at the time. Speak up and be your own advocate! Nothing wrong with asking her to change it up if you feel it's missing something.

And if you're really not getting what you need, ask around your other boating friends and see if they have a trainer they recommend. You're still paying for a service, and your trainer may just not be familiar enough to set up an ideal program for you.

Hi HoneyBadger,

Yes paddling dragon boat is often assumed to be similar to rowing and it is actually very different. I'm not so worried about the program mirroring the paddling stroke but I am looking to compliment my current workload with strength training that helps with overall strength. My concern with the trainer was that I paid for a session and now has not given me anything new to work with. I'm only seeing her once a month due to our schedules and my other commitments so I wasn't sure if I should be concerned with her holding back on a progression considering my last workout with her went really well and was definitely something I could handle for the next month. I hope that makes sense.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Thanks guys on the comments on dead bugs. I will definitely rotate that into the warm up and out of the actual circuit. :-)
  • Azdak
    Options

While to some extent I agree with you, part of the job of a quality trainer is to be able to analyze the physical demands of a sport and design a strength and conditioning program to meet those demands. Not every trainer is going to have personal experience in every sport.

I looked at a number of strength programs designed by “dragon boat coaches”, in coming up with my answer and they were pretty mediocre. The people may have understood rowing, but knew little about strength training. I have found this to be true for many sports programs-golf, tennis, swimming, etc.

Of course there is a wide range of quality among personal trainers, so I am not choosing one side over another. Just re-emphasizing the point that someone with an in-depth knowledge of biomechanics and strength and conditioning can develop a quality program even for a sport they do not personally have experience in. (Note: I am speaking in the context of a beginner to intermediate athlete. An elite athlete would obviously need someone with both in depth knowledge and advanced experience in the sport).
  • Azdak
    Options
    Azdaq - Thanks so much for your comprehensive reply. Here are some answers/comments/questions if you don't mind. :-)

Squat weight being low - My last workout with the trainer had me doing a barbell squat with a 45lb barbell and we had both agreed I could go higher as I was able to complete with good form and I was not challenged enough.

Squat/row - My guess is she thought this would help with conditioning for my paddling however dragon boat paddling is very different in form from rowing so I agree with you that while an overall compound movement it may not be necessary component to my program. In dragon boat we hinge as far forward as possible and rotate and sit up with our core for the strength in our stroke. It is also one sided which also differs from rowing.

I can easily omit the plank portion of the workout and replace with a back exercise. My core gets a lot of work in our practices which have started.

I took a look at the single arm cable rows and I really want to give those a try! :-) I had the single arm dumbbell row in my original workout I started with but that was taken out for the routine you are commenting on.

Do you think I should replace plank w/cable row with pallof presses and cable chops or do them all and progress with weight as I go? Pallof presses were also in my original workout but she replaced them with the plank w/cable row.

I agree about the cardio as I run 3 miles every day on my lunch hour and now paddle for 3 hours a week so no need for additional cardio and who likes burpees anyways? LOL I had to do a modified version as I have bad knees. :-(

Deadbugs - I was doing them with the stability ball but will try doing them now with the weights to progress that further. Thanks for that suggestion.

In my last workout she had me doing farmers walk with 2 25lb barbells which I had good form throughout. Good addition? She also had me doing an exercise that had me use a bench much like a single arm dumbbell row however I was on tiptoes and was lifting my opposite leg to the arm pulling weight. Thoughts on this? This was a stability exercise I believe.

Pushups: You want to increase resistance just like any other exercise. Leverage says that elevating your feet will be harder than staying flat. You can also use things like a strength vest, plates on your back, or a band across your back (anchored by your hands—but watch your form or it can slip and smack you in the back of your head!). Eventually, it get get complicated to the point where its easier to just stick with weights. You want to be a little careful about doing too much with unstable surfaces because that can reduce strength gains—-and there is some question as to whether the “functional” benefits are that worthwhile.

Plank/cable row; chop, pallof press, etc. I wouldn’t overthink this. do whatever combo you want and focus on quality reps. I do think these exercises are an area of focus to work hard.

I actually like the farmers walks.

The other exercise sounds like a tripod row. I have mixed feelings about “stability” exercises. They have a place, but I think they are overused. There research suggests that they don’t make you stronger, and that the “functional” benefits are overrrated. To me they are the dessert rather than the meal. I use them (including the tripod row), but more as just a way to break up a routine rather than use it as a foundational movement. I just think that, for your current goals, your program should focus mostly on strength and less on foo-foo stuff. Every exercise should be sharply focused. Now some of this is just my own personal philosophy, not necessarily a universal truth. Despite your issues with the trainer in your OP, it does sound like she is being thoughtful about the routine. I disagree with some of her choices, but I think she is trying to give you an overall plan and not just a random selection of exercises.
  • thebuz
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Pushups: You want to increase resistance just like any other exercise. Leverage says that elevating your feet will be harder than staying flat. You can also use things like a strength vest, plates on your back, or a band across your back (anchored by your hands—but watch your form or it can slip and smack you in the back of your head!). Eventually, it get get complicated to the point where its easier to just stick with weights. You want to be a little careful about doing too much with unstable surfaces because that can reduce strength gains—-and there is some question as to whether the “functional” benefits are that worthwhile.

Plank/cable row; chop, pallof press, etc. I wouldn’t overthink this. do whatever combo you want and focus on quality reps. I do think these exercises are an area of focus to work hard.

I actually like the farmers walks.

The other exercise sounds like a tripod row. I have mixed feelings about “stability” exercises. They have a place, but I think they are overused. There research suggests that they don’t make you stronger, and that the “functional” benefits are overrrated. To me they are the dessert rather than the meal. I use them (including the tripod row), but more as just a way to break up a routine rather than use it as a foundational movement. I just think that, for your current goals, your program should focus mostly on strength and less on foo-foo stuff. Every exercise should be sharply focused. Now some of this is just my own personal philosophy, not necessarily a universal truth. Despite your issues with the trainer in your OP, it does sound like she is being thoughtful about the routine. I disagree with some of her choices, but I think she is trying to give you an overall plan and not just a random selection of exercises.

Hi Azdak,

Thanks again for you so much time taken to assist me. I'm going to try some of your suggestions tonight when I work out after work. I haven't had a strength training session for a week while I acclimate to my new paddling regime. Body was sore! LOL Looking forward to it though.