Question - Personal Trainer

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    nm. will read entire thread the next time.

• JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Your training specific to a sport and the training should have some accommodation for what the sport requires. Find a new trainer, preferably one that has a NASM - PES or NSCA - CSCS; basically somebody that's familiar with training athletes.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    thebuz wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

I want some insight into whether my suspicions are correct or not. I recently started seeing a personal trainer once a month to tailor a workout for me to strengthen me for my upcoming dragonboat season. We have had 3 sessions in total. I would work out with her for one session and then she would give me a workout based on my current level of fitness and targeting core and other muscles used in paddling. The next session we worked out together and she then amended the workout to harder and more challenging exercises. We met again for our third session last Friday and we did not have a follow up session booked yet. We did a harder session and while I was challenged I was ready for the new progression. I hadn't heard from her with my new workout so I emailed her yesterday asking for my new workout routine and she said she'd think on it and to continue with the previous workout and to confirm our next appointment.

My frustration is that I was ready for the next workout and I feel like she has opted to hold back my progression to ensure a future booking. I had fully intended to book another session however after that response I feel like I should not move forward with her. Am I overreacting?

Why do you need a "personal trainer" to tell you what to do?

• thebuz
    thebuz Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

I want some insight into whether my suspicions are correct or not. I recently started seeing a personal trainer once a month to tailor a workout for me to strengthen me for my upcoming dragonboat season. We have had 3 sessions in total. I would work out with her for one session and then she would give me a workout based on my current level of fitness and targeting core and other muscles used in paddling. The next session we worked out together and she then amended the workout to harder and more challenging exercises. We met again for our third session last Friday and we did not have a follow up session booked yet. We did a harder session and while I was challenged I was ready for the new progression. I hadn't heard from her with my new workout so I emailed her yesterday asking for my new workout routine and she said she'd think on it and to continue with the previous workout and to confirm our next appointment.

My frustration is that I was ready for the next workout and I feel like she has opted to hold back my progression to ensure a future booking. I had fully intended to book another session however after that response I feel like I should not move forward with her. Am I overreacting?

Same reason I have a coach for my dragon boat team. To teach us form/technique etc.
  • lilac_bunny
    lilac_bunny Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I really like my personal trainer but I have had some before that just didn't work for me. I wouldn't expect to be given a new program mid month when I was only paying for one off sessions though. The only time I have had that is when I had bought a block sessions. My trainer now does me them whenever I want but I have been paying him on direct debit for over a year for my sessions so he knows I am a regular income. He didn't for the first 4/5 months.
    If she doesn't sit right with you then find someone who is a better fit. I specifically use a PT with sports rehab qualifications due to my previous history of injuries. No injury in over a year and yet my friend recommended a PT with me before that and after 2 sessions I couldn't even stand up straight when I got out of bed in the morning.
  • JAYxMSxPES
    JAYxMSxPES Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Good morning everyone.

Same reason I have a coach for my dragon boat team. To teach us form/technique etc.

Nothing wrong with that. It's exactly why D1 / D2 colleges and professional sports teams have Strength & Conditioning coaches and not even the head coach dictates the training protocols, not usually at least. Focus on your sport and let a professional with an education in training athletes manage your training.