Egg avocado toast?

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
I know it's pretty popular right now, and I had some this week end at a local place that was pretty delicious (egg was on the side though), but I was wondering how you make it so it's not too bland.

I mixed the avocado with lemon juice, salt, and pepper, sliced an hard boiled egg on top and sprinkled that with salt and paprika.

It wasn't bad, but there seems to be something missing.

Ideas?

Replies

• caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Garlic? Hot sauce? Mustard? Soy sauce? Combined?
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A tomato slice and/or a slice of cheese.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I add tomatoes and/or salsa.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I like to hardboil the eggs and mix them with the avocado, relish, and mustard over toast or an english mufin topped with flax seed and cayenne for breakfast. It's pretty much just egg salad with avacado instead of mayo, but it's delicious and versatile. This week I also added a layer of smoked salmon (lox) and topped it with sprouts. Sometimes I like to add some black beans and red pepper.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    I like making guacamole by adding mango salsa, red bell pepper, salt and pepper, and a little lemon juice. Put that on toast with a fried or sunny side up egg on top is amazing.
  • EHollander89
    EHollander89 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'll have toast with guacamole topped with a fried egg. I also tend to add hotsauce to my eggs no matter how they are prepared. Another option I like is to make a sandwich with guac, fried egg, cheese slice, and bacon.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I saw a chef on the chew make it with a 7 grain bread spread lightly with harissa, then avocado and garnished with drizzle of honey and red pepper flakes. I don't have harissa so I use just a little tiny spread of garlic chili paste. Really good!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah I guess that hot sauce would help, I just don't like spicy foods, lol!

Lots of good ideas here - got to try mixing eggs with avocado and salsa for sure.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,760 Member
    Options
    Cumin's another seasoning to try. One of my favorite restaurants (Le Pain Quotidien) adds cumin salt, olive oil and chia seeds to its avocado toast.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yeah I guess that hot sauce would help, I just don't like spicy foods, lol!

Lots of good ideas here - got to try mixing eggs with avocado and salsa for sure.

No need to be so complicated.

When I have boiled egg with toast, I only sprinkle salt on it. And when I use avocado, I only sprinkle salt on it.

Never had avocado on toast though. I have toast at breakfast, and am much more likely to have avocado at lunch or dinner.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine what would be missing..
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    If it were me I would throw the egg in the trash, get some fresh sourdough bread, spread with cream cheese, add smoked salmon/lox and then avocado.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce and freshly ground pepper.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    A) use poached eggs (or soft boiled at least!)
    B.) add Vegemite to the toast. Alternatively, a bit of feta cheese
  • dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I had a fried egg and avocado on an English muffin for breakfast today for my meatless Friday - delicious, wasn't missing a thing!
  • dangernene
    dangernene Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Get a decent, seeded wholemeal bread. A little more calorific but better for you and will keep you full for longer so worth it. Pop a slice in the toaster. Mash your avocado with salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Poach your egg - make sure your egg is super fresh, crack into a shallow dish, slide into boiling water then turn the heat off and leave covered for two minutes. Drain, leave on kitchen paper to get rid of some of the moisture while you spread the avo on the toast. Put the egg on top, cut into it, the yolk should be nice and runny. Absolutely one of my favourite breakfasts ever.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    The restaurant probably buttered the bread before toasting it, giving it a richer taste.

I made this for my boyfriend -
    seeded bread, toasted with minced garlic, 0 cal butter spray and mozzarella cheese
    add 1/4 sliced avocado, 2 basil leaves, 2 slices beef steak tomato, a couple strings of red onion and a poached egg.
    drizzle with balsamic glaze and sprinkle salt and pepper

About 350- 400 cals total