What do u tell urself during a workout??

Options
Hello all ! Today was my second day working out after stpping for years due to knee injury and lack of motivation...I felt horrible so out of breath and it was just a 20 min routine! To be honest I don't like to work out at all...but i got to a point where my body really needs it , how do you keep urself motivated to finish ur daily workouts ? What do u tell urself during a workout? I need a push really bad -tips welcome-

Stats
5'1
Sw185lbs
Cw144lbs
Gw135lbs
30y/o
Female

Stuck at 140's forever now :(
Take metformin 850mg 2xday for pcos and insulin resistance

Replies

• Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    At the gym I listen to music while I run, and watching Greys Anatomy while on the stair climber.
  • gymprincess1234
    gymprincess1234 Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My personal pep talks:
    You will thank yourself later
    5 more minutes ( I split my cardio in 5min intervals of different resistances and inclines )

But otherwise I have a very motivating playlist and I enjoy my workouts, especially spinning and body weight exercises.

• Nathanmmx
    Nathanmmx Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy and it will almost be like fun. Then set yourself little challenges along the way.

I use the elliptical trainer most and give myself little challenges each time I use it, eg calorie goal, time goal or even to beat my best workout.

Sure, it can be boring at times, especially when you do a long session but I promise you will always be glad you did it when you finish :)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't have to tell myself anything because I've learned to choose things that I actually enjoy. I hike. I compete in powerlifting. I like ice skating. I enjoy swimming and Pole Fitness. I love yoga. Basically just do things like get you moving that don't make you dread doing them. If you do something that you find fun, it will never seem like a chore.

I enjoy the things I do too. You never have an internal monologue though?
  • Untilproud11
    Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ur very inspiring:)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I usually think about what I've got to next ... what I've got to do on my university homework project, or a work project, or a personal home project.

In other words, I go for a walk or run or get on the bicycle, and one of the first things is a mental freeflow where I think about whatever happens to pop in my mind. And once that is complete, I settle into thinking through and planning whatever project I happen to be working on.

That's one of the reasons I love walking and cycling ... and don't mind running.

About the only exercise I can think of where I'm more "in the moment" is spinning class. It's hard to think about other things in a good spinning class.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    On days that I lift .. its against the clock so to speak, my kid gets up at 6:30am ... I have to be finished by that time, its motivation enough to bust out the reps and the sets, it stops me from picking up the phone, it pushes me onwards as I know I have to work to get the lifts in on time !

Cardio days ... they are a lot easier .. thanks to gamification of online cycling, its all the motivation you need, you are either in a race and pushing to not get dropped, OR you are in a group workout and stopping would let the other 40 people know you quit. .... or even individual workouts thanks to the ERG producing automatic resistance and countdowns to the next section the only thing I say to myself is the constant narration of how much time I have left, my heartrate, cadence .. etc

• Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Conditioning your body takes time. Be careful you are not comparing to before your injury. As others indicated, find something you enjoy. Look around at others, the majority f the population don’t enjoy being active. The time will move on regardless, be big and out of shape, or be fit. Only you can decide that you want this.