What do u tell urself during a workout??

Options

Replies

• Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,330 Member
    Options
    I love listening to my christian music while working out & look forward to it-no distractions. besides that I also do things I enjoy like riding my bike & I really like the rowing machine & group classes & weights
  • MonaRaeHill
    MonaRaeHill Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It takes me awhile to warm up (1/2 hour), but when I do, I go to my happy place, most of my creative problems find a solution there. :smile:
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I tell myself a couple things...

"You're not small. You're fat and strong. You put this weight on your back and stand back up with it, because it's nothing"

"Your body is a machine. Keep breathing. Keep going"

"You WILL not fail. You ate waffle fries yesterday. Use the waffle fries.".

I'm a *kitten*, but that made me laugh.

I lift weights like poster I quoted and usually go to the gym after work.

When I'm in a bad mood I focus on the results, because I have found that lifting helps me get where I want to be. I actually like lifting, but sometimes working out at 9pm sucks *kitten*. When I lift on weekends, it's more focusing on the reps and breathing. Sometimes when I run I have to push through the first couple miles, and I ask myself why I stopped running consistently when it was so much easier.
  • rockyhi512
    rockyhi512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    My biggest challenge is trying to not negotiate my way out of a work out. Today I failed in that I was planning to do 26 minutes on the elliptical instead I quit at 19 minutes. I told myself that I was on my feet for almost 8 hrs and I had done 45 minutes of weight training. Poor excuse for me. Tomorrow I will do the elliptical first thing and do my training afterwards. Nothing to negotiate with... I always have to kick myself when I do cardio whether it is elliptical walking, or biking. In the end it only 1/2 hr and I would rather to my exercises instead of sitting in front of the computer getting fat.
  • NextRightThing714
    NextRightThing714 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    What an interesting thread! I people watch but I think that's been mentioned. Another thing I do is a lot of mental math. Counting backwards. Calculating what percentage of my workout will be complete after X number of additional minutes.

Thinking of my body as a machine helps me a lot too. "This is what your body was made to do. Do it now before you lose the ability to do it."
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I prefer running and where I run is either on the trails or a long stretch of road that dead ends so there is no traffic. I use the time to reflect internally or to work through work/personal issues. If I'm feeling sluggish and not really putting in much effort, I give myself a stern talking to. When I was really fighting exercise, I used to pull up a visual in my mind of how I wanted my body to look and the internal verbal abuse was real. I'm in a much better place overall these days so when I have to do the visual it's in a more positive light and the verbal abuse is gone.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I’m also in the no internal workout monologue camp. I exercise first thing in the AM, and although there is sometimes some mental grumbling for the first 10-20 minutes after my alarm while I’m dressing and taking care of the pets, by the time I’m starting a workout I’m usually ready to go. During my workouts I’m either focusing on form, or if I’m running, just blissing out and concentrating on the road. Sometimes my anxious brain pops up stressing about work or money or whatever, and I have to focus extra hard on the workout to get it to shut up. But I genuinely do enjoy working out, and the fact that it quiets my brain is a big plus. To be extra honest, fitness is probably the best thing I have going for me right now.

Wow, came in here to share my POV but this is pretty much exactly what I would have written.

I feel happy and fortunate to be able to run. There are times when I'm giving myself a mini-pep talk in the middle of a specific workout (speed work is always a challenge for me and there are some resistance exercises I'm not a huge fan of), but overall exercise is my sanctuary.
  • woodrowdarnellcooper112
    Options
    Tell yourself, the discussions you make today, effect the outcome of your tomorrow. If you want to be better, do better! Excuses are obstacles that you put in front of yourself to rob you of your goals.
  • iWishMyNameWasRebel
    Options
    I often have to remind myself that my workouts are part of self care, like brushing my teeth, going to the doctor, taking a nap, preparing healthy foods. And that I often don't enjoy self care tasks, but they always make me feel better. I also LOVE the rush of power I get when I lift heavy, so I try to end my workout with one heavy lift I really love so I walk away with that "badass" feeling. Part of my internal monologue often includes things like "c'mon, you can push out one more, you know you love the rush." and "seriously, it's only a XX minutes out of 24 hours...think of how much BETTER you feel when you make yourself exercise."
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    mita271 wrote: »
    HStats
    5'1
    Sw185lbs
    Cw144lbs
    Gw135lbs30y/o
    Female

Starting Weight 185? YOU LOST 41 pounds to date!!!! you are a Rock Star!!!!

is exerise hard- welll- yes and no! it is freakin hard when you try to make up ground all at once - success is built on small wins over time- you have to push yourself but yuo don't have to kill yourself. Progress requires consistency - for me that comes from working out with other people. If I try to do it at home I will slack off - guaranteed. So i joined a gym - now I get motivated when I see other people's success.
  • AlbiesWifey2017
    AlbiesWifey2017 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Every morning I pull my insomniac *kitten* out of bed at 5:30am, I simply remind myself of how good I will feel for the rest of the day, after I put in this hour of work at the gym. I despise mornings more than almost anything but I think of it as a job. I have to take care of myself, it is a must and my body rewards me by feeling good!! Good luck to you!!
  • telisew94
    telisew94 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Nothing at all! Do something you enjoy and get lost in music for your "push" it helps. Also, no negative self talk like I have seen suggested. It doesn't help anything and it's not okay or good for you! You are doing this because you love your body and what it is capable of doing!! You got this!!
  • liftorgohome
    liftorgohome Posts: 25,455 Member
    Options
    I blast my heavy metal music and after the first 10 minutes of cardio I break a sweat then I get ready to lift.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I supposed I talk to myself mentally when I run 5ks and attempting to set a personal record.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Blast obnoxiously loud techno or EDM and keep going until the next "oh shizzle that's my jam" song comes on. And if it's really good repeat it.

For weights I do the countdown in halves- 16 reps, ok 8 left, ok gimme 4, ok gimme 2, another 2, done!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This morning I told myself, "The treadmill simply MUST be better than running outside when it's zero degrees." Not sure that was true, but it got me through it.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Once I'm at the gym, 99% of the time, it's not too hard. Since a big motivator for my current workouts is my racing, I watch race videos while I'm on the elliptical or bicycle, and multi-task a bit with some "mental racing."

During a regular routine, I generally get motivated just to see what I can do or the "it's only one more set!"

Today was a tough day. I just didn't want to work out - at all. Even once I was going and got into it, I did not want to be there. I tried to just focus on what I was doing and not allow my mind to wander, and I managed to push through 3/4 of my planned workout that way, but that last bit I finally gave in and said enough is enough.

When I was first trying to get fit after years and years off, I just told myself I had to "embrace the suck." It was going to suck, I was going to be miserable, and that was just going to be too bad. That got me through to the point where it finally started to suck less and I could start to enjoy it again (or enjoy the results of it at the very least, and where I wanted to go, or missed it if I missed a day...
  • vampirequeen1959
    vampirequeen1959 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When I sweat I tell myself it's the fat crying because it's not going to be there much longer. I also watch TV on my tablet.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    About the only time I have an inner monologue is at about 40 miles into a 1/2 century event...and it's, "only about 35 minutes left to go and then you get beer..."