Options
2»

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    jayemes wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    it doesn't have to have the label HIIT hung on it to make it a valid and useful training style.
    This 1000%. I feel like so many people call their workouts HIIT because they're hard. A workout can be hard without being HIIT. A workout can be effective and badass without being HIIT. A workout can give you awesome results without being HIIT. HIIT is just one type of workout. It's not the only kind.
    This! A thousand times this!
    When I'm healthy I try to do three hard sessions on the bike a week, at least one of which ends up being an interval. They can be very difficult but I wouldn't call any of them HIIT. They are incredibly useful performance and they burn a lot of calories (at the watts I'm doing them at), but they're still not HIIT.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Hard to choose. Some good ones:

1) 8x1' all out, 1' easy pedal recovery (power/speed naturally drop, but the suckage remains constant)

2) 5x5' @ 130% of threshold w/5' easy in between (or roughly 5x5' at around the pace you could race all out for 8')

3) 8x1' @ 95% of maximum one minute ability, 10' rest in between

4) 30" ON/30" OFF with the ON portion being at 150% of FTP (i.e. little bit faster than mile pace) and OFF portion around 50% of FTP (like an easy jog, but not a slow shuffle or work either)

5) 10" ON / 20" OFF, ON portion is full gas max sprint effort, off portion is coasting/walking

Number one is a killer lactace clearance workout. Number two is a classic VO2 workout that will primarily improve aerobic capacity with a little bit of anaerobic endurance and lactate clearance. Number 3 is purely about improving anaerobic work capacity and endurance. Number 4 is a lactate clearance/VO2 workout. Number 5 is sprint endurance + lactate clearance.

• L_Master
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »

The high intensity endurance activities that you describe also do not strictly fit the HIIT model because, while exhausting, they can not induce an anaerobic cardiovascular response (which is one of the objectives of HIIT) because no activity can be sustained for long in the absence of oxygen.

So, the high intensity endurance activities that you describe (that are also common in crossfit) aren't really HIIT either.

I agree in that we all tend to think of HIIT at anaerobic training.

1) That said, that's not a particularly accurate picture. I think the most classic concept of HIIT is tabata, or 20s sprint, 10s recovery. If you do these truly all out, you're going to deplete FRC (anaerobic capacity) after perhaps 3-6 of these sprints depending on the interval and just how "all out" your sprints are. At that point, you're still demanding a huge response from your body and have reached maximal oxygen uptake, or VO2 max. Most tabata intervals I see range between 5'-20'. So basically you start off very hard, and the first several repeats are an anaerobic blast which does drain FRC and places a little load on anaerobic demand, but after that point you've depleted FRC and really can only produce power equal to sustainable aerobic output.

Try doing tabata sometime, and commit to going ALL OUT on every single 20s repeat. By the time you get 5 or 6 repeats in, you'll be hitting your on portions at somewhere between 5k and 10k pace, or 15'-60' cycling power, because that's about all you can do with FRC largely depleted.

Something like Tabata is primarily a VO2 max workout, with a modest carryover to lactate clearance and a small carryover to anaerobic capacity.

2) Moreover, it's important to realize that all kinds of things elicit an anaerobic response. If you have a threshold on the bike of 300w, and you ride ever so slightly over that at 310w...you're getting an anaerobic response. Why? Because 300w is your threshold, i.e. the maximum power you can supply aerobically. Anytime you want to produce more power that has to come from your anaerobic "battery" or FRC. If you have a 24kJ FRC and a 300w threshold you can gas yourself anaerobically doing a variety of things:

- 30" at about 900w
    - 1' at about 700w
    - 5' at 380w
    - 40' at 310w

All of these will equally deplete anaerobic capacity.
  • L_Master
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    So here’s part of my practice plan for my youth soccer teams (U15 and U17), it is just the HIIT part. I have them do each exercise for 20 seconds with a 10 second rest and then a 1 minute break between each round. You can do each exercise for 30, 40 or even 50 seconds with a 10 second rest but if you haven’t done this before you may want to go with the 20/10 and if you finish that with plenty of gas left in the tank just run through it again.
    If you are not sure of what an exercise is you can google it or ask me, or you could switch it out for an exercise that you like.
    FYI, When I do these for myself or with the group that I W/O with we will do 3-4 sets of these. You can also switch out the ball for a weighted medicine ball.
    I hope this helps and that you enjoy it.

Tabata 3 rounds with one optional.
    Round 1: 2minutes
    1. Mountain Climbers
    2. Running in place w/high knees
    3. Push ups
    4. Squats

1 minute break.

Round 2: 2 minutes T/T 5 minutes
    1. Jumping lunges
    2. Burpee’s
    3. Starfish crunches
    4. Plank

1 minute break.

Round 3: 2 minutes T/T 8 minutes
    1. Russian twist w/ball.
    2. Speed skaters.
    3. Side crunches.
    4. Alternating ball pushups. (Do P/U with ball under left hand, switch ball to right and do a P/U, continue switching the ball back and forth between P/U’s)

1 minute break.

Bonus Round 4: 2 minutes T/T 11 minutes
    1. V-sits W/ball, alternating ball from hands to feet.
    2. Mountain Climbers W/ball
    3. Diamond P/U’s (modification W/ball)
    4. Partner trunk twist ball passes

See, this is exactly what we're talking about.

Great circuit. NOT HIIT. Not even sort of HIIT.

And NO, using a Tabata timer doesn't make it HIIT.

Ok expert explain in your professional opinion what is.

I partially agree with stanman here. Some of these flat out are unlikely to be intense enough unless the athlete in question is very large, very out of shape, or both. The plank example is a good one. That's not even cardio. My HR is like 100bpm holding a plank. Muscularly challenging, but not cardiovascular challenging.

Some of the others, even done as fast as possible just aren't intense enough to be challenging for someone with reasonable fitness, especially not in a short duration.

The first circuit would work as HIIT in the strict sense for a good number of people. Probably not for highly conditioned, lean athletes. The others I'm less bullish on, as the moves simply aren't that aerobically challenging. Planks and crunches both. Planks have almost no aerobic component, and crunches have very little. I could do 30' of crunches without stopping (which by definition means aerobic intensity is not sky high) or more, if my abs didn't give out due to muscular fatigue. Same for Russian twist.

Bottom line is that to be HIIT the circuit needs to be hit hard enough to deplete the anaerobic capacity and then work at maximal oxygen levels (VO2). Not happening for most athletes with those circuits.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So here’s part of my practice plan for my youth soccer teams (U15 and U17), it is just the HIIT part. I have them do each exercise for 20 seconds with a 10 second rest and then a 1 minute break between each round. You can do each exercise for 30, 40 or even 50 seconds with a 10 second rest but if you haven’t done this before you may want to go with the 20/10 and if you finish that with plenty of gas left in the tank just run through it again.
    If you are not sure of what an exercise is you can google it or ask me, or you could switch it out for an exercise that you like.
    FYI, When I do these for myself or with the group that I W/O with we will do 3-4 sets of these. You can also switch out the ball for a weighted medicine ball.

1. Mountain Climbers
    3. Push ups
    4. Squats

1 minute break.

1. Jumping lunges
    2. Burpee’s
    3. Starfish crunches
    4. Plank

1 minute break.

1. Russian twist w/ball.
    2. Speed skaters.
    3. Side crunches.
    4. Alternating ball pushups. (Do P/U with ball under left hand, switch ball to right and do a P/U, continue switching the ball back and forth between P/U’s)

1 minute break.

If only there was already an explanation in the thread of what is and isn’t HIIT

If 1-2 minutes of constant work with rest then repeat isn't HIIT then what is?

Because the High Intensity element means getting your HR into the 95-98% MHR range. it's not just about working harder during the work periods, it's about maximising the effort. The activities that you identified are unlikely to generate sufficient aerobic load to really do that.

That said, I suspect the originator wasn't asking for HIIT workouts, but for recommendations for circuit training.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    L_Master wrote: »

1. Mountain Climbers
    3. Push ups
    4. Squats

1 minute break.

1. Jumping lunges
    2. Burpee’s
    3. Starfish crunches
    4. Plank

1 minute break.

1. Russian twist w/ball.
    2. Speed skaters.
    3. Side crunches.

1 minute break.

I partially agree with stanman here. Some of these flat out are unlikely to be intense enough unless the athlete in question is very large, very out of shape, or both. The plank example is a good one. That's not even cardio. My HR is like 100bpm holding a plank. Muscularly challenging, but not cardiovascular challenging.

Some of the others, even done as fast as possible just aren't intense enough to be challenging for someone with reasonable fitness, especially not in a short duration.

The first circuit would work as HIIT in the strict sense for a good number of people. Probably not for highly conditioned, lean athletes. The others I'm less bullish on, as the moves simply aren't that aerobically challenging. Planks and crunches both. Planks have almost no aerobic component, and crunches have very little. I could do 30' of crunches without stopping (which by definition means aerobic intensity is not sky high) or more, if my abs didn't give out due to muscular fatigue. Same for Russian twist.

Bottom line is that to be HIIT the circuit needs to be hit hard enough to deplete the anaerobic capacity and then work at maximal oxygen levels (VO2). Not happening for most athletes with those circuits.

Agree completely. That first round is close enough for me to not quibble. But the rest. Meh at best

The second round has a bit as well. But every round has at least 1 activity that would qualify as “rest” in an HIIT context
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    Options

1. Mountain Climbers
    3. Push ups
    4. Squats

1 minute break.

1. Jumping lunges
    2. Burpee’s
    3. Starfish crunches
    4. Plank

1 minute break.

1. Russian twist w/ball.
    2. Speed skaters.
    3. Side crunches.

1 minute break.

Keeping in mind this routine was originally designed for a youth soccer team ranging in ages 12-16, many have never done anything remotely close to this. I have also used this routine with a few of the folks at work as well as the Wellness Center that I workout at. However, those folks are on the opposite end of the spectrum a few in their 40's but mostly 50's to late 60's and not in good shape to put it kindly.

With that being said I can agree that you are both correct, that to a trained athlete (which you both appear to be)this would be easy I'm sure and perhaps would barely cause them to break a sweat at all.

However, from my understanding and from what I have been told by certified trainers is that HITT has less to do with the exercises. It has more to do with the fashion and pace in which you do them and work to rest ratio.

So with that being said any exercise can be just that an exercise or a HITT. It's about the pace at which you are executing it and how much it is pushing you. If your HR gets in your 90% range then it is effective. Which is why I started them at 20 seconds on and 10 off. As that got easy to them I went 30/10, still with a one minute break in between sets.

Again I will agree that several of these exercises are routine warm ups or even cool downs for most well trained and in shape people but for my target group (ages 12-16 year olds) this kills them, it wears them the hell out. I can't say that they are or are not getting into their HR's into their 90 percentile or not, as very few of them have HR monitors.

So maybe this wont fit the bill for most 20, 30, or even 40 something's but again this routine was designed originally for 12-16 year olds. I just want to share it with the OP as it sounded like they just wanted inputs and possible needed an easy starting place.

Also, here are a few links that may help the OP as well as all of us.

https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/lose-weight/burn-fat/killer-hiit-exercises/
    https://www.mensfitness.com/training/cardio/8-amazing-fat-burning-intervals
    https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/10-hiit-workouts-to-get-you-shredded-for-summer/
    https://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/5-fun-hiit-workouts-get-you-through-week?page=2
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't HIIT, but I swear by 9Rounds (kickboxing workout). It's 30-35 minutes of working your gut off (in my case). Nine stations, 3 minutes @ each (you up the intensity for the last 30 seconds), then 30 seconds of active rest, which is just another exercise thrown in like burpees, ski jumps, jumping jacks etc. Round 1 is always the jump rope & round 9 is always ab exercises, but it's never the same so your body can't adapt to it like it can when lifting. It's fun & it works for me, but to each their own.
  • L_Master
    edited March 2018
    Options

However, from my understanding and from what I have been told by certified trainers is that HITT has less to do with the exercises. It has more to do with the fashion and pace in which you do them and work to rest ratio.

So with that being said any exercise can be just that an exercise or a HITT. It's about the pace at which you are executing it and how much it is pushing you. If your HR gets in your 90% range then it is effective.
    Which is why I started them at 20 seconds on and 10 off. As that got easy to them I went 30/10, still with a one minute break in between sets.

Again I will agree that several of these exercises are routine warm ups or even cool downs for most well trained and in shape people but for my target group (ages 12-16 year olds) this kills them, it wears them the hell out. I can't say that they are or are not getting into their HR's into their 90 percentile or not, as very few of them have HR monitors.

So maybe this wont fit the bill for most 20, 30, or even 40 something's but again this routine was designed originally for 12-16 year olds. I just want to share it with the OP as it sounded like they just wanted inputs and possible needed an easy starting place.

The bolded part is spot on in my opinion. The only caveat is that some exercises will either cause muscular fatigue before HR is driven high enough, or flat out won't be challenging enough. In my case I'm pretty sure I could never do russian twists or sit ups for abs and have them drive heart rate up towards maximum. Just not enough muscle fiber recruitment.

One other point it make is that you can get worn the hell out by something that's not necessarily HITT. As an example:
    yhfdqk80ftq1.png
    That ride absolutely wore me out, but was not HITT. Just a longish ride done at a relatively high aerobic intensity.

The rides below is more towards what we would consider HITT, but the intervals might be long for some peoples taste:
    8itowyrbkgyf.png
    7ddufzep7ga8.png

This last one is absolutely HITT:
    7prg2imiwa58.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    20/40s on my indoor bike trainer...it's tough, and it's intervals, but I don't know that it's HIIT, even though that sounds really cool...HR usually up around 155 for the 20s. The 40s are at a typical ride pace so still working Total time is 20 minutes...there's a two minute actual recovery about half way through.
  • L_Master
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    20/40s on my indoor bike trainer...it's tough, and it's intervals, but I don't know that it's HIIT, even though that sounds really cool...HR usually up around 155 for the 20s. The 40s are at a typical ride pace so still working Total time is 20 minutes...there's a two minute actual recovery about half way through.

Definitely HIIT assuming you're hitting it with some gusto. If the 20s don't get REALLY painful by the end, maybe not hard enough to be HIIT.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Definitely HIIT assuming you're hitting it with some gusto. If the 20s don't get REALLY painful by the end, maybe not hard enough to be HIIT.

They're painful... the whole thing is pretty painful. I can do them once or twice per week and that's about it... and I have to time them carefully around lifting.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If you're utilizing glycolysis or Kerb Cycle as the metabolic pathway to generate the primary source of energy during your work period, it not HIIT. Why 20-30 seconds, because energy directly available via the phosphagen system is limited to less than 10 seconds of maximal effort while re-phosphorylation of ADP provides enough for about 25 seconds total.

Studies by Gibala and others trying to find equivalency by replacing lower intensity work periods are looking at overall fitness adaptation. HIIT is designed to sharpen the upper band and the fact it also improve lower bounds does not mean the protocols and goals are the same.
  • L_Master
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    If you're utilizing glycolysis or Kerb Cycle as the metabolic pathway to generate the primary source of energy during your work period, it not HIIT. Why 20-30 seconds, because energy directly available via the phosphagen system is limited to less than 10 seconds of maximal effort while re-phosphorylation of ADP provides enough for about 25 seconds total.

Studies by Gibala and others trying to find equivalency by replacing lower intensity work periods are looking at overall fitness adaptation. HIIT is designed to sharpen the upper band and the fact it also improve lower bounds does not mean the protocols and goals are the same.

Not sure how much I agree with you here.

Most HIIT isn't just 20 to 30 seconds. It's 20-30s with a very short rest, repeated many times. After even a
    few repeats, you are predominately using aerobic pathways; and have even gone past the point of relying primarily on anaerobic glycolysis.

CrP system, once depleted, takes at a minimum 2-3 minutes to regenerate. If you blast our of the gate with all out 20s of activity, CrP is already depleted. If you take a 10s rest...it's still depleted. Where do you go for energy? Anerobic glycolysis. You'll burn through that over the next 2-6 repeats, and at that point you'll be getting ATP almost exclusively from aerobic pathways.

f you wanted the primary source of energy generation to be from CrP, then you need short, maximal efforts with moderate recoveries. Think 10-15s sprints with 2-5 minutes of recovery between each one.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    Most HIIT isn't just 20 to 30 seconds. It's 20-30s with a very short rest, repeated many times. After even a few repeats, you are predominately using aerobic pathways; and have even gone past the point of relying primarily on anaerobic glycolysis.

30 seconds per interval. Work intensity for Tabata's 1E1 protocol is 20 seconds of work at 170% of VO2 Max and 90 rpm with 10 seconds of rest. Gibala's comparison is at 150% VO2 Max (with continued downed grade to 120% as effort to find false equivalency). Both called for an intensity above anaerobic capacity (non-aerobic glycolysis). NOTE: workout is terminated if intensity cannot be maintained. Peter Coe regimen throws a curve as the intensity is not defined (power measurement wasn't available and even now it's in beta) repeated fast 200 meter runs with only 30 seconds recovery between each fast run. As the grandfather of all, Peter Coe regimen is only that falls short in the specification but he was training Olympic champions.
    CrP system, once depleted, takes at a minimum 2-3 minutes to regenerate. If you blast our of the gate with all out 20s of activity, CrP is already depleted. If you take a 10s rest...it's still depleted. Where do you go for energy? Anerobic glycolysis. You'll burn through that over the next 2-6 repeats, and at that point you'll be getting ATP almost exclusively from aerobic pathways.
    Re-phosphorylation, ADP -> ATP? Tabata's and Gibala's test subjects did just fine. Are you referring to tau? W'bal recovery relates to non-aerobic glycolysis. Completely different energy system.
    f you wanted the primary source of energy generation to be from CrP, then you need short, maximal efforts with moderate recoveries. Think 10-15s sprints with 2-5 minutes of recovery between each one.
    Classic AC intervals (from standing or from slow roll?). Not HIIT.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    These are some great suggestions!!!!!!
  • L_Master
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Most HIIT isn't just 20 to 30 seconds. It's 20-30s with a very short rest, repeated many times. After even a few repeats, you are predominately using aerobic pathways; and have even gone past the point of relying primarily on anaerobic glycolysis.

30 seconds per interval. Work intensity for Tabata's 1E1 protocol is 20 seconds of work at 170% of VO2 Max and 90 rpm with 10 seconds of rest. Gibala's comparison is at 150% VO2 Max (with continued downed grade to 120% as effort to find false equivalency). Both called for an intensity above anaerobic capacity (non-aerobic glycolysis). NOTE: workout is terminated if intensity cannot be maintained.

An intensity above anaerobic capacity? Perhaps you're using anaerobic capacity the same way in a similar or identical matter to anaerobic threshold. I.e. maximum aerobic steady point. At easy exercise, aerobic glycolysis/kreb's can fuel all neccessary energy. It can do so up until a point that is commonly called by many names (threshold, FTP, anaerobic threshold, etc.). At intensities below this point, anaerobic glycolysis (anaerobic pathways) make almost no meaningful contribution to the generation of power.

As you begin to move to power higher than FTP, increasing more demand is placed on anaerobic systems (anaerobic glycolysis) to supply additional energy. If you have a threshold of 300w, and ride at 400w, then 100w will have to be generated anaerobically (i.e. using W'/FRC), the remaining 300w will of course be generated aerobically via krebs/aerobic glycolysis.

Going back to your comment with some clarification on terminology, of course both those protocols call for efforts above anaerobic threshold. 20s at threshold with 10s rest would be a very easy workout. Certainly not high intensity. Moreover, by definition VO2 max is already above anaerobic threshold, so 170% of VO2 max is dramatically about threshold by default.

My understanding of tabata is, as you said, 20s on, 10s off. However, I hadn't heard to stop when power drops. I've always heard do 5', 10' or even 20' continuous of tabata. If you use 170% of VO2 as a target, power is going to drop, dramatically, after just four or five intervals. Nobody out there is doing more than 6 repeats of tabata at 170% max, even if they stand or coast between reps.
    Peter Coe regimen throws a curve as the intensity is not defined (power measurement wasn't available and even now it's in beta) repeated fast 200 meter runs with only 30 seconds recovery between each fast run. As the grandfather of all, Peter Coe regimen is only that falls short in the specification but he was training Olympic champions.

Not sure why you discuss this. I don't know Coe's regimen, and I'm not sure how it related into discussion of HITT training.

Re-phosphorylation, ADP -> ATP? Tabata's and Gibala's test subjects did just fine. Are you referring to tau? W'bal recovery relates to non-aerobic glycolysis. Completely different energy system.

W' refers to non-aerobic glycolysis, absolutely.

I wasn't talking about W' however. I said CrP. CrP is creatine phosphate system. It's what is used for short initial bursts of power. It's what you use to power a 5RM squat set, a 100m sprint, or any very short duration activity. It is NOT an aerobic pathway, and it is NOT W'/Anaerobic glycolsis/FRC.

I don't think you understood my post at all. My point is breaking down the energy system usage if you do 20s @ 170% VO2 followed by 10s of rest. The first repeat is power by CrP system. W' is unchanged. Basically CrP system is just creatine with an extra phosphate that can quickly recharge local ATP. As you mention, in order to reconstitute the phosphate on creatine to use again you need to synthesize ADP->ATP which can only happen with excess oxygen.

So, you use CrP up in first 20s repeat of tabata. The rest is not long enough to recover from oxygen debt, let alone recharge CrP, so CrP is done. You have another repeat to go, and you need to get energy for that. Where do you go? Well, you're aerobic system is kicking in now and your getting some from that, but most of it still has to come from anaerobic glycolysis, so you begin depleting W'. You get 10s rest and recovery a little W' but not much and go into the third repeat. Still 170%VO2, so you need alot of that to come from W', which depletes it further. After rep 4 or 5 W' becomes fully depleted. What can you do for power now? Well you can do aerobic power + whatever W' you can reconstitute in each 10" of recovery. Experience suggests this might run down to approximately 90-100% of VO2, but either way, it's going to be primarily aerobic at that point with only a small percentage (maximum of 10-20% of power) coming from W'/anaerobic glycolysis and the rest coming from aerobic system.
    Classic AC intervals (from standing or from slow roll?). [/quote]

No. What is described above is absolutely NOT AC intervals. Too short by a long shot. The repeats described about are maximum power intervals, performed to increase peak sprint power. If done for 15-20s there can be some carryover to sprint endurance (not the same thing as AC).
    10-15s sprint w/2-5' recovery. Not HIIT.

Correct.
  • kcjchang
    Options
    An intensity above anaerobic capacity? ...
    Training level jargon, not the most precise, but refers to Neuromuscular Power or L7. A finer gradation to separate the two pathways. Coggan training level stops at L6, Anaerobic Capacity. Both pathways are anaerobic. See pic below.
    j4yma9rl19k7.jpg
    My understanding of tabata is, as you said, 20s on, 10s off. However, I hadn't heard to stop when power drops. I've always heard do 5', 10' or even 20' continuous of tabata. If you use 170% of VO2 as a target, power is going to drop, dramatically, after just four or five intervals. Nobody out there is doing more than 6 repeats of tabata at 170% max, even if they stand or coast between reps.
    Protocol is to exhaustion marked by inability to sustain target power and/or cadence. http://www.cbass.com/SEARCHOF.HTM
    "Metabolic profile of high intensity intermittent exercises". Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 29 (3): 390–5. doi:10.1097/00005768-199703000-00015. PMID 9139179.
    Not sure why you discuss this. I don't know Coe's regimen, and I'm not sure how it related into discussion of HITT training.
    Original branch defined as a short burst of high-intensity or max-intensity (supposedly taken from HIT of Nautilus fame).
    I don't think you understood my post at all...
    Tabata, agreed W' is the primary fuel if power is held at 170% of VO2 Max. Without assist from CrP, it would be very hard to finish (170% VO2 Max is ~60% of 20" MMP).