Cutting versus Bulking

Options
Anybody have some good advice on how to cut properly versus bulking? What is the best time frame to do both and how should I meal prep?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Approx bodyfat %? Goals?
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Anybody have some good advice on how to cut properly versus bulking? What is the best time frame to do both and how should I meal prep?

There is no time frame, I usually cut until I feel I look small and I stop bulking when my chest is starting to have men boobs and usually my abs are hiding under the layer of fat. Ideally you want your bulk to last longer than your cut....unless of course you are overweight, then the cutting part will last a long time in your first bulk and cutting cycle....but once you are lean, then your cut shouldn't last longer than your bulk.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The tl;dr "bro"ish advice is "Bulk until you hate the way you look, cut until you hate the way you feel".

The less "bro"ish version is to start a bulk at around 10% bodyfat and end it around 15% bodyfat, to go back to a cut. Repeat as necessary/desired.

Here's a fairly balanced discussion of bulking/cutting vs. recomp by Bret Contreras: https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    The tl;dr "bro"ish advice is "Bulk until you hate the way you look, cut until you hate the way you feel".

The less "bro"ish version is to start a bulk at around 10% bodyfat and end it around 15% bodyfat, to go back to a cut. Repeat as necessary/desired.

Here's a fairly balanced discussion of bulking/cutting vs. recomp by Bret Contreras: https://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

Although 10% and 15% ranges can vary by the person as well. Probably ideal but a lot of people just can't get down to 10% very easily and I wonder what the ranges for women would be. Maybe 18-23% or so?
  • sardelsa
    Options

Although 10% and 15% ranges can vary by the person as well. Probably ideal but a lot of people just can't get down to 10% very easily and I wonder what the ranges for women would be. Maybe 18-23% or so?

I believe for women it's 20% and under
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I believe for women it's 20% and under

Thanks! :)
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

I've been pondering this for awhile now! From what I've read the recommendation is to bulk until you're at about 22% body fat MAX! OR until you feel like you're too heavy. My plan is to get as heavy as I can so Ive been bulking for an entire year and still going on, right now I'm at 14-15% at 180 lbs and hope to keep going as far as I can, then I'm going to maintain a little bit before I cut and then SLOWLY cut so I can focus on losing the bf % and not so much overall weight, but I would be at a slight deficit when I do this with some HIIT cardio. Right now I don't do any cardio which is prob unhealthy but oh well haha.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Seth1825 wrote: »

I've been pondering this for awhile now! From what I've read the recommendation is to bulk until you're at about 22% body fat MAX! OR until you feel like you're too heavy. My plan is to get as heavy as I can so Ive been bulking for an entire year and still going on, right now I'm at 14-15% at 180 lbs and hope to keep going as far as I can, then I'm going to maintain a little bit before I cut and then SLOWLY cut so I can focus on losing the bf % and not so much overall weight, but I would be at a slight deficit when I do this with some HIIT cardio. Right now I don't do any cardio which is prob unhealthy but oh well haha.

Do not bulk to 22%. You will look terrible!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Unless you want to just dirty bulk I guess. 22% isn't really horrible looking but there will certainly be a bit extra padding on your body but it all depends on the look you want too. Some guys like being bigger so hitting 25-30%, or even higher, would be acceptable to them.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options

Unless you want to just dirty bulk I guess. 22% isn't really horrible looking but there will certainly be a bit extra padding on your body but it all depends on the look you want too. Some guys like being bigger so hitting 25-30%, or even higher, would be acceptable to them.

I like guys with a little padding LOL
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Lol! Then I guy you'd like me cause that's exactly what I have. :D
  • Davidsdottir
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

<3
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

<3

MFP matchmaking service at your service. ;)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Getting above 25% for a guy is getting to the obese range. Not sure why anyone would want to go there.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

<3

MFP matchmaking service at your service. ;)
    :p
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Getting above 25% for a guy is getting to the obese range. Not sure why anyone would want to go there.

Obese for bf% is around 30% but yeah you are getting up there, and as odd as it sounds there are guys who do enjoy that size. Just hang around the super heavy powerlifters and you'll find they many of them have no issue being over 30%.
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Obese for bf% is around 30% but yeah you are getting up there, and as odd as it sounds there are guys who do enjoy that size. Just hang around the super heavy powerlifters and you'll find they many of them have no issue being over 30%.

Besides, who doesn't want MOAR FOOD?!
  • sardelsa
    Options

Me!! :s:D
  • Davidsdottir
    Options

Awww... sorry! For me, some days, 2700 just doesn't cut it.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

Awww... sorry! For me, some days, 2700 just doesn't cut it.

Because you are bulking? Thank you, I'll be here all week... ;)