2»

Replies

• Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Seth1825 wrote: »
    Anybody have some good advice on how to cut properly versus bulking? What is the best time frame to do both and how should I meal prep?

I've been pondering this for awhile now! From what I've read the recommendation is to bulk until you're at about 22% body fat MAX! OR until you feel like you're too heavy. My plan is to get as heavy as I can so Ive been bulking for an entire year and still going on, right now I'm at 14-15% at 180 lbs and hope to keep going as far as I can, then I'm going to maintain a little bit before I cut and then SLOWLY cut so I can focus on losing the bf % and not so much overall weight, but I would be at a slight deficit when I do this with some HIIT cardio. Right now I don't do any cardio which is prob unhealthy but oh well haha.

Do not bulk to 22%. You will look terrible!

Unless you want to just dirty bulk I guess. 22% isn't really horrible looking but there will certainly be a bit extra padding on your body but it all depends on the look you want too. Some guys like being bigger so hitting 25-30%, or even higher, would be acceptable to them.

Getting above 25% for a guy is getting to the obese range. Not sure why anyone would want to go there.

Obese for bf% is around 30% but yeah you are getting up there, and as odd as it sounds there are guys who do enjoy that size. Just hang around the super heavy powerlifters and you'll find they many of them have no issue being over 30%.

Besides, who doesn't want MOAR FOOD?!

Me!! :s:D

Awww... sorry! For me, some days, 2700 just doesn't cut it.

Because you are bulking? Thank you, I'll be here all week... ;)

Oh jeez lol
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Anybody have some good advice on how to cut properly versus bulking? What is the best time frame to do both and how should I meal prep?

I've been pondering this for awhile now! From what I've read the recommendation is to bulk until you're at about 22% body fat MAX! OR until you feel like you're too heavy. My plan is to get as heavy as I can so Ive been bulking for an entire year and still going on, right now I'm at 14-15% at 180 lbs and hope to keep going as far as I can, then I'm going to maintain a little bit before I cut and then SLOWLY cut so I can focus on losing the bf % and not so much overall weight, but I would be at a slight deficit when I do this with some HIIT cardio. Right now I don't do any cardio which is prob unhealthy but oh well haha.

Unless you want to just dirty bulk I guess. 22% isn't really horrible looking but there will certainly be a bit extra padding on your body but it all depends on the look you want too. Some guys like being bigger so hitting 25-30%, or even higher, would be acceptable to them.

Getting above 25% for a guy is getting to the obese range. Not sure why anyone would want to go there.

I am the type of person who stops my bulk near 18-20% bf range, but that's because I have thin bones, so I like that heavy set look in that bf range...while I look like I don't lift when I am near 10% bf with my shirt on...without it, my muscles are well defined, but what's the point for me to be that lean when 95% of the time I wear a shirt on? I usually aim to stop my cut somewhere around 12-13% bf.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Obese for bf% is around 30% but yeah you are getting up there, and as odd as it sounds there are guys who do enjoy that size. Just hang around the super heavy powerlifters and you'll find they many of them have no issue being over 30%.

I saw the chart below and several similar showing 25% BF as the start of obese. I can see a powerlifter liking the extra size. Not really a good thing on those that don't do anything more than 12 oz curls.

0pswmpbthcyw.png

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/normal-ranges-of-body-weight-and-body-fat
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

I saw the chart below and several similar showing 25% BF as the start of obese. I can see a powerlifter liking the extra size. Not really a good thing on those that don't do anything more than 12 oz curls.

0pswmpbthcyw.png

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/normal-ranges-of-body-weight-and-body-fat

My memory must be getting bad lol, I thought obesity was higher, but it also depends on age so that's why I was probably remember around 30% because it's for my age category...or at least that's my story and I'm sticking too it. ;)

Actually, it's not a good thing to get that heavy even if it's by muscle more than fat. A 300lb bodybuilder at 10% BF is still at risk for a lot of health issues as Dallas McCarver's death demonstrated.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options

0pswmpbthcyw.png

My memory must be getting bad lol, I thought obesity was higher, but it also depends on age so that's why I was probably remember around 30% because it's for my age category...or at least that's my story and I'm sticking too it. ;)

Actually, it's not a good thing to get that heavy even if it's by muscle more than fat. A 300lb bodybuilder at 10% BF is still at risk for a lot of health issues as Dallas McCarver's death demonstrated.

It didn't help that he was on steroids either.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

0pswmpbthcyw.png

It didn't help that he was on steroids either.

Of course, there is no way to get even close to that size and body composition without them. Every vital organ, except perhaps his brain, was greatly enlarged. The autopsy report was just a horror show of drug side effects and he was very young!