Variations of the hip thrust as effective?

Options
2»

Replies

• flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I do squats and deadlifts but I swear hip thrusts and maybe kick backs/ups along with weighted back extensions have been most effective for me and when I feel it most in glutes.
  • cnunez1215
    cnunez1215 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What about rack pulls? I did these yesterday and my butt and hammies are on FIRE.The only time I've ever felt that soreness on my rear was with hipthrusts. I think it works depending on how high you set the bb. And how much you bend your knees.
  • _piaffe
    _piaffe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I do squats and deadlifts but I swear hip thrusts and maybe kick backs/ups along with weighted back extensions have been most effective for me and when I feel it most in glutes.

Same for me. Also hamstring curls with dumbells (I strength train at home). Posterior chain reaction!
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    cnunez1215 wrote: »
    What about rack pulls? I did these yesterday and my butt and hammies are on FIRE.The only time I've ever felt that soreness on my rear was with hipthrusts. I think it works depending on how high you set the bb. And how much you bend your knees.

Rack pulls for your glutes? I'm confused.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great info, needed this, thanks!
  • cnunez1215
    cnunez1215 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    cnunez1215 wrote: »

Rack pulls for your glutes? I'm confused.

Yup, I set the bar right above my knees and squatted at almost a 90° I felt all the burn behind my legs n butt. I know it's meant for your back mostly but that was my experience. Gona try it again today.
  • foreversnafu
    foreversnafu Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    jiggyj9 wrote: »
    It’s so much easier set up wise for me to perform this lift on the leg extension machine (or even the Smith machine for that matter), and I’m wondering if anyone else here does this and if you find it is as effective?

Also, if using a traditional bar, how about laying on your back as opposed to against a bench?

Hip thrusts are a good exercise to teach novice lifters how to activate their glutes by pushing with their knees out when they squat, helps build that muscle-mind connection, otherwise they're a great free weight assistance exercise after a major compound.

The reason you want to lay on a bench is to increase the range of motion and thus activate your glutes more, if you lay on the floor you're basically doing a weighted bridge.

Also avoid the Smith Machine, nothing good ever came of it.
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    It’s so much easier set up wise for me to perform this lift on the leg extension machine (or even the Smith machine for that matter), and I’m wondering if anyone else here does this and if you find it is as effective?

Also, if using a traditional bar, how about laying on your back as opposed to against a bench?

Hip thrusts are a good exercise to teach novice lifters how to activate their glutes by pushing with their knees out when they squat, helps build that muscle-mind connection, otherwise they're a great free weight assistance exercise after a major compound.

The reason you want to lay on a bench is to increase the range of motion and thus activate your glutes more, if you lay on the floor you're basically doing a weighted bridge.

Smith machine is perfect for putting my foot on during Bulgarian split squats ;)
  • foreversnafu
    edited March 2018
    Options

Also, to add to this, if you're increasing resistance by 5-10lbs every time you use the exercise, you'll eventually reach a point where if you have your back on the floor and you raise your hips, the weight will slip and roll on your face.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options

I agree.. but to your last point, I think there are certain exercises it can be used for, especially isolation/focused in this case hip thrusts. It's just another variation that can be utilized. However it is important to know what can be done and the limitations of the Smith.
  • foreversnafu
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I agree.. but to your last point, I think there are certain exercises it can be used for, especially isolation/focused in this case hip thrusts. It's just another variation that can be utilized. However it is important to know what can be done and the limitations of the Smith.

If you're a PT and you have a client, the only reason you'd stick them on the Smith is if you're trying to get them to do inverted rows so that they can build up the necessary strength required to do a negative pull up, or if you don't like them.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

If you're a PT and you have a client, the only reason you'd stick them on the Smith is if you're trying to get them to do inverted rows so that they can build up the necessary strength required to do a negative pull up, or if you don't like them.

It is similar to any exercise machine. Leg press machine, leg curl machine, cable machine etc.. in bodybuilding for certain moves it can be useful. I'm not saying everyone has to use it or any machines for that matter, but they have their place in the gym.