Healthy does not mean calorie free

Options

Replies

• Starflight00
    Starflight00 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I try to explain to her that not all calories are the same and you also have to look at nutrients but no success yet.

Sounds like my mom... I told her to try keto (Atkins), but she hasn't even started because "what am I supposed to eat, give me recipes"... Now I'm trying to get her to understand how calories work and when she's lost some and is comfortable with CICO, I'll explain the whole macros thing.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    You won't believe how many clients I get that tell me they eat "healthy" but can't lose weight. Then I mention CICO and they are like "fur reals?"

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    or Sugar free or Fat free means it's okay to eat several portions of!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    or Sugar free or Fat free means it's okay to eat several portions of!

Hahahaha oh yeah. My mom's very obese boyfriend always eat 'sugar free' cookies, I guess it makes him feel better when he eats the whole box? I think I compared labels once too and the difference in calories was actually pretty small...
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I see this in my friends on Weight Watchers over consuming zero point foods and not losing weight or buying their package foods which is lower in nutrition and high in additives which make you hungry afterwards ,mfp showed me how to eat balanced meals in my calorie budget.

Yes! I've seen the new WW program with so many things as zero or very low points, and I just think "ummm...they still have calories..." That goes along with some of my keto friends who tell everyone else that you don't count calories on keto, just carbs. But see...both of those plans are making the assumption that people feel full after reasonable amounts of food and don't overeat. Many folks (certainly not all, by any means) become obese because they do overeat (myself included) for some reason. I overate on keto, so never lost weight after the first 1-2 month golden period. I know I wouldn't lose on the WW Freestyle program either, because I'd eat more than just a bit of the "free" foods. No matter how you eat, you still have got to be mindful of the quantity and calories.

^This

I have this coworker who paid 150$ for herbalife in order to lose weight. What a waste of money. People want to lose weight, but instead of just eating less than they burn, they go through complex situations where they go out and spend hard work money on garbage for the sake of losing weight without effort. If you really want to lose weight badly, there's no way around it, it takes discipline, will and effort. I always say, if you want something, you have to do everything in your will power to make sure you succeed or else it means you do not really want to achieve your goal, you only wish it. Wishing it and doing it or two different things
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Sure. I was making myself 1000 calories salads once upon a time I assume.

I ate a whole bag of steamed broccoli with dinner tonight. 5 servings, according to their nutrition data, at 30 calories per serving. That's 150 calories. Not a huge amount (at least for my calorie level), but if you ate a lot of those "healthy" or "free" foods all day without logging them, they would certainly add up in a hurry.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    This is the Snackwell Effect of the modern era. Kind of like the frozen yogurt of the 90s. Just because it is fat free, or labeled low fat or lite, doesn't mean it is low calorie.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    A lot of people have no idea that cico Works. The media and diet fitness industry have said it does not. If people succeeded at weight loss than a lot of people would be unemployed in the diet fitness industry.

It goes to show two things:

1) How clever (and deceptive) the marketing is in the diet/nutrition/fitness industry.

2) How uneducated the general population is about diet/nutrition/fitness.

And even just how uneducated the diet/nutrition/fitness industry are themselves.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    A lot of people have no idea that cico Works. The media and diet fitness industry have said it does not. If people succeeded at weight loss than a lot of people would be unemployed in the diet fitness industry.

It goes to show two things:

1) How clever (and deceptive) the marketing is in the diet/nutrition/fitness industry.

2) How uneducated the general population is about diet/nutrition/fitness.

And even just how uneducated the diet/nutrition/fitness industry are themselves.

It's downright scary how many people claim to be dietitians/nutritionists/trainers, then proceed to spout woo that sounds like it's straight off the Dr. Oz show or the cover of a fitness magazine (which are in actuality nothing but a supplement advertisement catalog with some pictures and articles thrown in to lend them an air of legitimacy). Stuff that directly defies basic concepts of physiology.