Replies

• aklrn
    aklrn Posts: 20 Member
    edited March 2018
    So true!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I have been losing steady and slow and logging on MFP.
    One of the ladies I work with is semi trying to lose and doesn't understand why she is not losing.
    As we were eating our lunches she looked at my container of a casserole I made and yes, it was small. She said is that what your having and she then looked at her container which was quite large. I proceeded to tell her that she had close to 4 servings she was eating and I was eating a single serving.
    She then replied....."but its healthy ingredients"!
    I answered, but, its NOT calorie free just cause its healthy.
    Do others have the concept in their minds that "healthy" "whole" "raw" "vegan" means calorie free?
    My co worker sure did and I'm not sure she wanted to hear it.

Most people don't even know what a calorie is
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    People in general are uneducated about how to diet... they all need to become MFP members :smiley:
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    yup. what I see is that a lot of the packaged or prepared foods touting healthy ingredients end up full of high calorie ingredients to meet the taste expectations of many people - coconut products, avocado, nuts and seeds - crunch and fat, and of course, sugar in some form. Sure, maybe a more nutritious substitute, but you can't eat anymore of it than what you're swapping it in for. Certain candy bars being lower cal than some granola bars...most people have no clue. Salad with olives, cheese, creamy dressing. I wish everyone would learn every food choice requires portion control....so you might as well eat what you like.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Correct. Everything has calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    My first few years of weight loss were extra difficult because I subscribed to the "just eat healthy" idea and didn't count calories. When I look back, I cringe at some of the things I did, like forcing myself to drink tons of orange juice & grapefruit juice.

A lot of people do not know better.

My friends still tell me that juice is healthy.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    My first few years of weight loss were extra difficult because I subscribed to the "just eat healthy" idea and didn't count calories. When I look back, I cringe at some of the things I did, like forcing myself to drink tons of orange juice & grapefruit juice.

A lot of people do not know better.

My friends still tell me that juice is healthy.

Well fructose is healthy right?
    Diabetes educators never subscribe to drinking fruit juices only in the event of hypoglycemia! Even then I don't.......I drink a glass of 1% milk to bring up and even out blood sugar.
    It kills me I see parents giving their little ones juice in a bottle and then at my job we see these same little ones with silver caps on all their teeth......ignorance....utter ignorance!
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    The real issue is portion size. If someone eats a massive helping of "healthy" food, they're getting multiple times the amount of calories listed for a portion.

Over the years, bottles of carbonated beverages have increased in size from 8oz or 10oz when I was a child to 20oz now. People still typically drink the whole bottle, but when I read the label it says 2 Servings. So drinking all at once means consuming double of all the stats listed as per serving.
  • healthy2700mfp
    healthy2700mfp Posts: 13 Member
    I see this in my friends on Weight Watchers over consuming zero point foods and not losing weight or buying their package foods which is lower in nutrition and high in additives which make you hungry afterwards ,mfp showed me how to eat balanced meals in my calorie budget.