Healthy does not mean calorie free

I have been losing steady and slow and logging on MFP.
One of the ladies I work with is semi trying to lose and doesn't understand why she is not losing.
As we were eating our lunches she looked at my container of a casserole I made and yes, it was small. She said is that what your having and she then looked at her container which was quite large. I proceeded to tell her that she had close to 4 servings she was eating and I was eating a single serving.
She then replied....."but its healthy ingredients"!
I answered, but, its NOT calorie free just cause its healthy.
Do others have the concept in their minds that "healthy" "whole" "raw" "vegan" means calorie free?
My co worker sure did and I'm not sure she wanted to hear it.

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Oh my gosh yes! Exactly this!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I don't know anyone like this in real life, but I get frustrated when I look for snack ideas on the internet that would be nice to have on a weight loss diet and I get tons of energy balls full of nuts, dates, and peanut butter. If I wanted to waste 100 calories I would save myself the hassle and buy cookies, at least I would get more than one bite out of them.

Oh I have witnessed this too! Friend brought energy balls to work and were 120 calories each little ball!!! WTH!? I wanted to spit it out and wipe my tongue off....it wasnt worth it to me!

But it's healthy, right? lol

Seriously. Drives me nuts. So many of those 'healthy' recipes have as many calories as the normal stuff. Sure, it might be a bit more filling sometimes, but that doesn't mean it's actually worth the calories taste-wise.

So true...but its "healthy"
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    dsboohead wrote: »
    I have been losing steady and slow and logging on MFP.
    One of the ladies I work with is semi trying to lose and doesn't understand why she is not losing.
    As we were eating our lunches she looked at my container of a casserole I made and yes, it was small. She said is that what your having and she then looked at her container which was quite large. I proceeded to tell her that she had close to 4 servings she was eating and I was eating a single serving.
    She then replied....."but its healthy ingredients"!
    I answered, but, its NOT calorie free just cause its healthy.
    Do others have the concept in their minds that "healthy" "whole" "raw" "vegan" means calorie free?
    My co worker sure did and I'm not sure she wanted to hear it.

People don't understand the concept of calories. Sometimes I wonder if they know what calories do.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    A lot of people have no idea that cico Works. The media and diet fitness industry have said it does not. If people succeeded at weight loss than a lot of people would be unemployed in the diet fitness industry.

It goes to show two things:

1) How clever (and deceptive) the marketing is in the diet/nutrition/fitness industry.

2) How uneducated the general population is about diet/nutrition/fitness.

It's a little bit of both. I roll my eyes when my coworkers don't understand how I can lose weight with carbs. I explain them carbs is not what matters for weight loss, calories do. But they get confused. They think if your high on either carbs or calories that you get fat when in the end it's just the calories that matter.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    fb47 wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    A lot of people have no idea that cico Works. The media and diet fitness industry have said it does not. If people succeeded at weight loss than a lot of people would be unemployed in the diet fitness industry.

It goes to show two things:

1) How clever (and deceptive) the marketing is in the diet/nutrition/fitness industry.

2) How uneducated the general population is about diet/nutrition/fitness.

It's a little bit of both. I roll my eyes when my coworkers don't understand how I can lose weight with carbs. I explain them carbs is not what matters for weight loss, calories do. But they get confused. They think if your high on either carbs or calories that you get fat when in the end it's just the calories that matter.

I've tried explaining the concept of calories to a few people and they either don't "get it" or don't believe it....