Does it get easier?

Options
2»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

I know I could always eat more than I do. I just choose not to, most of the time. Sometimes it's hard, because I want to. But I tell myself I don't need any more food now, I will get more later.

This describes me exactly. To the “does it ever get better” question, for me the answer is physically no but mentally yes. I definitely have hunger, sometimes more than others (but not to the dizzy pass out stage). And sometimes cravings, which is more cognitive desire than actual hunger. Both increase when my bf% drops below 18%. It’s really my attitude about wanting more to eat (and drink) that has made it more tolerable to have less than I want (which is more than needed to maintain). As you undoubtedly know all to well, eating habits count for a lot. You have done a fantastic job, OP. You really do possess the knowledge and attributes to master this next stage.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    jfan175 wrote: »
    Lean59man wrote: »

No, it never goes away.

You have to change your mindset about food.

Food is only fuel. It is not love, comfort, or any other emotional thing.

It is OK to be hungry. In fact it is powerful form of self-control.

Embrace it.

Very well put, sir! The fact that you got a woo is why that button should be eliminated.

I understand the woo; I didn't add one, but I get it. It's a little Zen like to embrace the hunger and think of food only as fuel. I want to still enjoy food, but just control portions and limit how often I have empty or mostly empty calories. I don't want to embrace hunger, I want to banish it. I eat a lot of protein and fruits/veggies and try not to feel hungry. Take this with a grain of salt, as I failed at maintenance before and have only been at it a short time this go around. But I am tracking this time and staying under my limit consistently. I give in to the sweet tooth and have some Reese's ice cream, but only in increments of 32g at 75 calories each. Sometimes only 32g total. But it isn't just fuel; ice cream is a medicine sometimes.

I agree with you, for the most part. I do not know what yall are talking about that you have to be hungry. When I am hungry I eat. I may eat a big bowl of veggies and some protein, but I would not say that I suffer. I do limit how much I eat at work so that I can have a nice dinner and my after dinner snacks. I am not big on suffering. It does not sound like a recipe for longevity with dieting to me. As I always so, to each their own,
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I love to eat. You have done great. I don't have a lot of trouble, but I'm weird I heard because I can eat small amounts of things and feel satisfied, not hungrier. Some things that help, eat soup/broth before meals. If you're hungry, eat something small and high fat, like a few nuts (and log them) or a tablespoon of ice cream. I drink tea or coffee all day. I don't snack. I eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus one planned snack at 9. I used to do a 1/4 cup of ice cream them, with nuts and some yogurt on top (which I love). I almost only eat added sugar in ice cream and coffee.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I guess that's the other thing. I really do LOVE to eat. I only eat food I really love with lots of flavor. I find that really satisfying. If I eat blah food I get hungry and want something more. I think I'm looking for satisfaction. But you lost way way more weight than I did.