Does it get easier?

Options
I am still really new to maintenance. I have been for a while experiencing hunger/ food preoccupation. I am actually by my charts in about a 80-120 cal surplus at this time, trying to restore some body weight. I am just wondering, does this ever go away? I lost 220lbs, so I know my BF set point is very high. I am just hoping with some weight restoration/ regain, that this gets better. I am all ears from people who might have gone through this. Thank.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I am still really new to maintenance. I have been for a while experiencing hunger/ food preoccupation. I am actually by my charts in about a 80-120 cal surplus at this time, trying to restore some body weight. I am just wondering, does this ever go away? I lost 220lbs, so I know my BF set point is very high. I am just hoping with some weight restoration/ regain, that this gets better. I am all ears from people who might have gone through this. Thank.

A surplus of 80-120 cals per day? So you'll gain approximately a pound a month? That sounds like very slow weight restoration?
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What are your macros now?

It will probably get easier, and the hunger might actually be a good thing since it could be your metabolism speeding up. Have you considered doing a reverse diet?
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

A surplus of 80-120 cals per day? So you'll gain approximately a pound a month? That sounds like very slow weight restoration?

YEs, slow and steady. 1/4-1/2 lbs a week. I know that post weight loss, fat comes back on really quick. I resistance train 4 days a week trying to restore lots of Lean mass lost while weight loss. I know that some of it will come back as fat as well.
  • psychod787
    edited March 2018
    Options
    andreaen wrote: »

It will probably get easier, and the hunger might actually be a good thing since it could be your metabolism speeding up. Have you considered doing a reverse diet?
    andreaen wrote: »

I did actually reverse diet. Added 100 cals every 2 weeks for a couple of months. Current macro split is 52% C, 27%P, 21%F @ 3240 cals 45-50 grams of fiber. thanks, lost too fast and hard though. Thanks to the people here, I am hoping it gives me a fighting chance! 425C,225P,80F
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,674 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have to admit though that you're more daring than myself, which possibly comes from being in a younger age group?

I would be very tempted to not try to come up on weight but hold the line instead at a level where my trending weight is level-ish as opposed to continuously increasing.

In other words not go into convultions if it goes a little bit up, but with my goal / mind set to NOT go up.

There are several ways of looking at this; but if you do manage to stay stable, people do seem to adjust over time to their new level. Think in one year or three year terms of holding the line.

Otherwise you're opening yourself up to the possibility of having to cut again. And with your physical activity already quite high that will be harder.

Do remember that the mythical average male of mythically average activity maintains at around 2500 Calories.

We both, mainly because of activity, are consuming much more than that on average.

Now you are, of course, following a specific program. But if you weren't I would be suggesting that you play more with which items might feel more satiating.

And last but not least is the part that @kommodevaran brings up. There are, of course, multiple times in a day where I am not hungry; but, also, not full enough that I could not eat more. And we both know what would be my preference, right? At that point all I can do is keep reminding myself that eating till I can't eat no more probably had something to do with my previous weight :wink: Sometimes I win... sometimes I don't and try to mitigate by choosing less calorically dense items.
  • psychod787
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I have to admit though that you're more daring than myself, which possibly comes from being in a younger age group?

I would be very tempted to not try to come up on weight but hold the line instead at a level where my trending weight is level-ish as opposed to continuously increasing.

In other words not go into convultions if it goes a little bit up, but with my goal / mind set to NOT go up.

There are several ways of looking at this; but if you do manage to stay stable, people do seem to adjust over time to their new level. Think in one year or three year terms of holding the line.

Otherwise you're opening yourself up to the possibility of having to cut again. And with your physical activity already quite high that will be harder.

Do remember that the mythical average male of mythically average activity maintains at around 2500 Calories.

We both, mainly because of activity, are consuming much more than that on average.

Now you are, of course, following a specific program. But if you weren't I would be suggesting that you play more with which items might feel more satiating.

And last but not least is the part that @kommodevaran brings up. There are, of course, multiple times in a day where I am not hungry; but, also, not full enough that I could not eat more. And we both know what would be my preference, right? At that point all I can do is keep reminding myself that eating till I can't eat no more probably had something to do with my previous weight :wink: Sometimes I win... sometimes I don't and try to mitigate by choosing less calorically dense items.
    PAV8888 wrote: »

PAV888 my friend, I feel ya. I really never plan to cut unless I have to. I might recomp a little if I don't like the way my body looks, but that is secondary to how I feel. I am starting to think you are like the Thomas Edison of Maintenance. Think they called him the Wizard of Menlo Park? I am trying to think of a name for you. Maybe the Mage of Manitoba?
  • psychod787
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I would try to forget ever hearing about "the set point theory". If you've ever been overweight, of course you like to eat, and you're used to eat to much ("too much" in the sense of "over time more calories than your body burns", not a moral judgement).

I know I could always eat more than I do. I just choose not to, most of the time. Sometimes it's hard, because I want to. But I tell myself I don't need any more food now, I will get more later.

If you're below your weight goal, you'll naturally be hungry, because you need to eat more.

No sense of moral judgement taken. Most of us, minus maybe a few with rare genetic Metabolic disorders, did not get here from eating too little. It was strange, during weight loss I would get occasionally hungry, would eat, then be full for hours. It was about 210lbs range BF 13-15% that I started noticing real hunger that would come back every two hours no matter what or how much I ate. I am glad I started keeping a journal of how I felt and weights so I would know that. Thats also when my Blood sugars started dropping out during workouts. Not as bad now, but still in 60-70ng/ml. Some in the past went into the 40's! Hormones maybe?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,674 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    PAV888 my friend, I feel ya. I really never plan to cut unless I have to. I might recomp a little if I don't like the way my body looks, but that is secondary to how I feel. I am starting to think you are like the Thomas Edison of Maintenance. Think they called him the Wizard of Menlo Park? I am trying to think of a name for you. Maybe the Mage of Manitoba?

Hey, just trying to figure out ways to muddle along! Even if it takes a few "brownieshlikes" and "cheesecake-ishes". And never forget the most exciting: "food-likes" that I am sure will come along soon! :lol:
  • geltner1
    geltner1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your major weight loss. I'm glad to hear that you're doing the strength training. That is a key element in health. I hope you're enjoying getting stronger!
  • psychod787
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

No, it never goes away.

You have to change your mindset about food.

Food is only fuel. It is not love, comfort, or any other emotional thing.

It is OK to be hungry. In fact it is powerful form of self-control.

Embrace it.

Thanks for the response. I am in the phase of accepting it. I don't view food as comfort. It merely powers my body. If it happens to taste good at the same time, that's just a bonus. Maybe this is what our early ancestors felt like. I guess most of us in the first world have forgotten what hunger feels like. I am also experimenting with some eating window methods to help with hunger ques. It does not hit me until after I eat my first meal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »

No, it never goes away.

You have to change your mindset about food.

Food is only fuel. It is not love, comfort, or any other emotional thing.

It is OK to be hungry. In fact it is powerful form of self-control.

Embrace it.

Agreed.

Except when the hunger makes you feel weak and dizzy... obviously.
  • psychod787
    Options
    I'm in maintenance too (lost over 100 pounds) and still hit the hungries at times. What has been helpful to me is to watch the carbs. I try to postpone breakfast most days because like you I'm fine until that first bite. If I make sure to get some lean protein at every meal and don't cut too low on the fat I seem to stay full longer. I'm not low carbing at all just being careful that they are balanced with other macros. Good luck and congrats on an awesome loss!

Thanks ma'am! I am giving it everything I have! I am currently working on a good macro split to help as well.