Which is better white rice or brown rice?

Options
what are the health benefits of white rice and brown rice and which is better or healthier? :ohwell:

Replies

• choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    what are the health benefits of white rice and brown rice and which is better or healthier? :ohwell:

anyone? which is better the brown rice or the white rice?
  • m16shane
    m16shane Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Fried rice! Oh wait you mean healthier
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Better means what one will like, portion, and not over consume. Nutritionally, they are quite close. IMO, white rice tastes better and goes with just about any food.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    They are both about the same. Choose which one you like based on flavor. I choose which one I am using based on how it will go with what I am cooking. I do tend to overeat white rice though because it's just so darn good.
  • Firefighter208
    Options
    I prefer wild, then white, then brown.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Brown rice has more fiber and carries some of the same benefits as other whole grains. White rice doesn't have much nutritional value.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Considering that white rice composition daily has been linked to diabetes, I say brown rice.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20100614/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-better
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    are brown people better than white people?
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • knityoupants
    knityoupants Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Brown rice. I love how hearty and filling it is. But both are pretty caloric.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower rice :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Heathen.

To answer the OP: White Rice. Why? Because I like it more.
  • Archanasatyam
    Archanasatyam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    definitely brown rice. the fiber cover makes the whole difference. even in this variety go for the minimally processed one. the feeling of fullness in the tummy too.. it takes longer to cook that white rice.. n if u are already used to white rice, it would just take a few meals to get used to it. i loved the change it brought about in my life.

my reasons for sticking to brown rice are as follows:
    more filling
    more fiber and minerals in the coat, so nutrition is up
    it doesn't cause the sudden sugar shoot up in blood(so better for diabetics)
    more chewy, so spends more time in mouth
    goes well with all my indian curries
    leaves my satisfaction of eating something really healthy in a day

just an added info.. am a doctor.. :smile:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Sorry for multiple pics, but here are the multiple nutrition facts for various types of rice to show the overall caloric intake is about the same, with Wild rice having 2g of fiber per 1/4 cup, brown rice being 1g of fiber per 1/4 cup and white being 0g fiber.

Wild Rice:
    rice_8oz_og_wild_nutrition.sflb.ashx

Brown Rice:
    brown-rice-nutrition.jpg

White Rice:
    White_Rice_Nutrition_Facts.JPG

Jasmine Rice:
    labelL242181.gif

Brown Jasmine:
    NUTRITIONALS-NEW-dry-organic-brown-jasmine.gif

Basmati:
    NUTRITIONALS-NEW-dry-organic-basmati.gif

Sushi Rice:
    rice_og_sushi_nutrition.sflb.ashx

Rice is in general taken as an "unhealthy" food, when in reality it is just calorie dense and can be overeaten fairly easy since it is primarily filler. The whole debate of brown rice vs white rice isn't based upon the fiber amount but because of the amount of "whole grains" and gluten index of each type, which are debatable at best for longevity reasons. But in short, rice is rice and enjoy the one you like best.

Mine depends on the food I'm cooking.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Comparison of the nutritional value between brown rice and white rice

Callegaro Mda D, Tirapegui J. Arq Gastroenterol.

Cereals are considered an important source of nutrients both in human and animal nourishment. In this paper nutritional value of brown rice is compared to that of white rice in relation to nutrients. Results show that despite higher nutrients contents of brown rice compared to white rice, experimental data does not provide evidence that the brown rice diet is better than the diet based on white rice. Possible antinutritional factors present in brown rice have adverse effects on bioavailability of this cereal nutrients.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People read some article from some health "guru" stating that brown rice is "better" for health and of course take their word because they make good recipes.:laugh:
    The myth that brown rice is so much better than white rice has been passed along for a few decades now. Good thing there a lots of well informed people on the site who have actually done research to tell the actual truth.
    Choose what you like for rice. If one feels "healthier" with brown rice, then stick with it. Personally I've eaten white rice my whole life and will continue. Especially with SPAM and eggs.:love:

IDEA Fitness member
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    neither. they are both starches essentially. steer clear of both if you can.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Black rice because it has more antioxidants in it to help ward off cancer and heart disease.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Lol and the reasoning for that would be?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Steer clear of anti carb posts too.

IDEA Fitness member