for women because it might be TMI for men

Options
Hi ladies!! I was wondering if anyone else gains about 2-5lbs while on there period? and should I skip weigh ins during this time so I don't get discouraged?

Replies

• kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Looks like someone has a case of the Thursdays.

Yep! My mom always says it's because of retaining fluid. I still weigh myself, because I expect it and don't want to eat too much comfort food. It's only a week :)
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I tend to lose when on my monthlies. Others have asked your question before and many members have shared their experiences@ weight loss or gain VS TOM. Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search

ETA: link
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I am the exact opposite. I tend to lose when on my monthlies. Others have asked your question before and many members have shared their experiences@ weight loss or gain VS TOM. Link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/search

ETA: link

I have only just now realized what TOM is.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Yes, and depends if it will discourage you or not. I know it's gonna happen, so I weigh anyway. It goes away after...
  • 0151kaz00
    0151kaz00 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself just before I'm due on. I get water retention and can feel myself putting on inches.

I have always still lost weight afterwards. I am using my Wii Fit, as well as this and the goals are set for every two weeks, as long as I am making my fortnightly targets, I am happy, that way i can have days off, so I can still have meals and drinks out., as well as having physical stuff happening.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I do. It's very common but it can still play a head game with you. If it bothers you, stay off the scale until it's over. I find it interesting, so I still weigh in.
  • Cole7612
    Cole7612 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well thank you... most of you anyways!!
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I do. It's very common but it can still play a head game with you. If it bothers you, stay off the scale until it's over. I find it interesting, so I still weigh in.

Ditto :) I weigh every day regardless of tom.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Yes OP, you do some times retain water during that time of the month. It's your body's way trying to make up for all the loss.

Sorry about the somewhat angry responses, they are just hungry. Or like we call them on the forums they are Hangry!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Yes OP, you do some times retain water during that time of the month. It's your body's way trying to make up for all the loss.

Sorry about the somewhat angry responses, they are just hungry. Or like we call them on the forums they are Hangry!

If you are talking about me, I'm not hangry! I just ate a bunch of leftover Chinese food. Quite yummy.

Just tired of the endless parade of questions that 1) all have the same answer, and could be resolved by simply using the search feature, and 2) reflects a kind of shocking lack of observational skills for an adult woman who has been experiencing the exact same thing every single month for years.
  • DanaNichelle
    DanaNichelle Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I personally wait 2 week to weigh in when I know my period is coming the week before my period and the week I'm on period i wait.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    And why is this thread listed under "Goal: Gaining Weight"?
  • Cole7612
    Options

If you are talking about me, I'm not hangry! I just ate a bunch of leftover Chinese food. Quite yummy.

Just tired of the endless parade of questions that 1) all have the same answer, and could be resolved by simply using the search feature, and 2) reflects a kind of shocking lack of observational skills for an adult woman who has been experiencing the exact same thing every single month for years.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    And why is this thread listed under "Goal: Gaining Weight"?

I don't know about you but before mirena it was my goal to gain weight during TOM. Or it should have been with how much taco bell I was eating.
  • Cole7612
    Options
    it's not THAT big of a deal relax, if you are tired of it then ignore it... everyone is here for support not for others to try and make people feel stupid... I am still learning this site and still trying to learn how to work the community part sorry I haven't been on here 300 and something times!!! SMH
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    for women because it might be TMI for men

Men know nothing about these things? Way to stereotype.
  • ashleyisgreat
    Options
    it's not THAT big of a deal relax, if you are tired of it then ignore it... everyone is here for support not for others to try and make people feel stupid... I am still learning this site and still trying to learn how to work the community part sorry I haven't been on here 300 and something times!!! SMH

Understandable. Now you know: search function!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My hormones cause me to gain about 5 pounds and an inch or 2 around the lower "pooch" area even while on a deficit and exercising daily.

Hormones suck. You just have to realize you are not gaining fat and that it will go away. This is why I only weigh in once a month, the same time relative to my period every month.
  • kirstenmaria
    kirstenmaria Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You know, there is a thing in the community guidelines...I know, probably no one reads those things anyway...but if there's a post that is belittling we're supposed to flag it, instead of responding to it. Good luck gals, hopefully those who are irritated find their happy, and those who need support and advice find it from friendly folks :)
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yup!!! I retain fluid horribly for that time and I seem to be extra sensitive to sodium in general!!!