for women because it might be TMI for men

Options
13»

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    OP, I apologize if you read my tone as one of belittlement. Not the goal. Once you've been around for awhile, you'll understand why it can get annoying to see people consistently fail to search for things that come up daily (hourly, sometimes). Oh, the tedium! When I first joined, I did the exact same thing as you did, and someone set me straight right away. Personally, I'm glad they did. Not at the time, of course. I thought they were being pretty rude, but now I look back and I get it.

Anyway, search function. That's the main lesson here. That and *of course* most women gain weight during their periods. That's a thing and I thought everyone in the world knew it. So now you know.

It can get annoying.

At the same time, when I see that it's someone new to the site or someone with a very low post count that indicates new to the forums, I tend to answer the question realizing that they don't know that it has been asked repeatedly, but they'll get the hang of it soon enough. Plus, the OP has a young child and having kids can do crazy things to your cycles where you just want reassurance that you're "normal". :laugh:

Now, where I let my snark flag fly is someone who has been around forever and is using this as their own interactive google day in and day out or someone new to the site who decides to come in with guns blazing and set everyone straight. Those two are my snark triggers.
  • Cole7612
    Cole7612 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ashleyisgreat I agree with you ...if you didn't say something I would not know but posting something that comes off as if I wrote this to intentionally annoy you is a bet extreme...I find it a bit humorous how some people have reacted to a simple question

Interesting that you read my initial comment that way. I'm not sure where I said or even implied that you "intentionally" wrote this to annoy me. I think that might say more about you than it does about me.

The whole point was that this question comes up constantly, and people ought to be using the search function more often. It had literally nothing to do with you personally or your intentions.
    Well you have repeatedly talked about how annoying it is that people post this question over and over ..... MY BAD didn't know there would be so many hostile people but now I know

But anyways thanks again to the rest of the ladies that didn't get so angry and judgmental!!
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    ashleyisgreat I agree with you ...if you didn't say something I would not know but posting something that comes off as if I wrote this to intentionally annoy you is a bet extreme...I find it a bit humorous how some people have reacted to a simple question

Interesting that you read my initial comment that way. I'm not sure where I said or even implied that you "intentionally" wrote this to annoy me. I think that might say more about you than it does about me.

The whole point was that this question comes up constantly, and people ought to be using the search function more often. It had literally nothing to do with you personally or your intentions.
    Well you have repeatedly talked about how annoying it is that people post this question over and over ..... MY BAD didn't know there would be so many hostile people but now I know

But anyways thanks again to the rest of the ladies that didn't get so angry and judgmental!!

Snark is not the same thing as anger. Haha. But cheers to you anyway. :drinker:
  • Cole7612
    Options
    OP, I apologize if you read my tone as one of belittlement. Not the goal. Once you've been around for awhile, you'll understand why it can get annoying to see people consistently fail to search for things that come up daily (hourly, sometimes). Oh, the tedium! When I first joined, I did the exact same thing as you did, and someone set me straight right away. Personally, I'm glad they did. Not at the time, of course. I thought they were being pretty rude, but now I look back and I get it.

Anyway, search function. That's the main lesson here. That and *of course* most women gain weight during their periods. That's a thing and I thought everyone in the world knew it. So now you know.

It can get annoying.

At the same time, when I see that it's someone new to the site or someone with a very low post count that indicates new to the forums, I tend to answer the question realizing that they don't know that it has been asked repeatedly, but they'll get the hang of it soon enough. Plus, the OP has a young child and having kids can do crazy things to your cycles where you just want reassurance that you're "normal". :laugh:

Now, where I let my snark flag fly is someone who has been around forever and is using this as their own interactive google day in and day out or someone new to the site who decides to come in with guns blazing and set everyone straight. Those two are my snark triggers.

Thank you
  • Cole7612
    Options

I wasn't talking about just you......lol

• Cole7612
    Options

I wasn't talking about just you......lol

I wasn't talking about JUST you..... lol
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

It can get annoying.

Very true! Also, I appreciate the phrase "snark flag" and I will be stealing it for future use. Thanks for that. haha
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I gain anywhere from 3-6lbs the week before and during mine...so yes. It's normal. Stay AWAY from sodium. Eat bananas/drink some coconut water (if you can) for the potassium to soak up some of the extra water weight. Enjoy some Greek yogurt too!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

It can get annoying.

Thanks for this post, I totally forgot about this thread. Couldn't have said better.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Yes OP, you do some times retain water during that time of the month. It's your body's way trying to make up for all the loss.

Sorry about the somewhat angry responses, they are just hungry. Or like we call them on the forums they are Hangry!

If you are talking about me, I'm not hangry! I just ate a bunch of leftover Chinese food. Quite yummy.

Just tired of the endless parade of questions that 1) all have the same answer, and could be resolved by simply using the search feature, and 2) reflects a kind of shocking lack of observational skills for an adult woman who has been experiencing the exact same thing every single month for years.

Wasn't directed at you but a general statement. After reading the rest of the thread, I'm just going to not pass any judgement.

I remember the other day I was running down the sidewalk in my neighborhood. I saw some kid trying to learn how to ride a big on the road. I then remembered how my uncle taught me how to ride, he always insisted that I didn't wear a helmet and learn on really steep hills instead of flat areas. So, I ran to the kid pushed him off the bike and ripped his training wheels and told him to man up and find some hills.

In retrospect, I should've probably stayed focused on my run and let the kid's parents or the other friendly adults in the area help teach the kid.
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Lol it's clear some people are on their period while answering your question.

Yeah it's normal...a lot of women bloat and gain a little weight while on their period. It's temporary and will go away.

^^This. A little humour, followed by some good advice...all that's needed...:flowerforyou:
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I also gain a few during this time of month. I feel really weigh myself everyday, but once I realize my hormones are going I skip a couple days of weighing. actually I recently stopped waiting myself completely.