VITAMINS!

Options
What vitamins do you take and why do you take each of them?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Kirkland daily Multivitamin, fills in any holes I have in my nutrition from what I eat
  • arc8706
    Options
    I'm curious about this, too.

.For a while I was taking a "women's" multivitamin (Nature Made Multi For Her) and I saw it was causing me to get wayyyy too much of some vitamins every day, which worried me a little. So I stopped taking it, and now I get too little of some vitamins most days (which also worries me). So I'm considering either taking it only on days where I see I didn't get enough of most of my micronutrients, or maybe seeing which vitamins I consistently don't get enough of and buying the individuals of those to take each day. Both of those approaches are a little too obsessive for my tastes, though. I'd rather just get it all from food but I'm a picky eater :/
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

.For a while I was taking a "women's" multivitamin (Nature Made Multi For Her) and I saw it was causing me to get wayyyy too much of some vitamins every day, which worried me a little. So I stopped taking it, and now I get too little of some vitamins most days (which also worries me). So I'm considering either taking it only on days where I see I didn't get enough of most of my micronutrients, or maybe seeing which vitamins I consistently don't get enough of and buying the individuals of those to take each day. Both of those approaches are a little too obsessive for my tastes, though. I'd rather just get it all from food but I'm a picky eater :/

There are certain micronutrients in which there's absolutely no harm going over, and others in which your body has trouble excreting the excess, like Vitamin A for example. Excess Vitamin C on the other hand is excreted through your urine.
  • icame2win60
    Options

Yeah I am a picky eater too and my diet includes a lot of junk and little vegetables and fruits so I'm low on a lot of vitamins. But like AJ_G said, with some micronutrients it's totally okay to go over the daily amount. I am personally not worried in going over though because as I mentioned before my diet is bad and I don't get much of any of the vitamins. I am trying to incorporate more fruits, veggies, and lean proteins into my diet though! :D
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    too much calcium and too much iron isn't good for you, but it's hard to tell how much you actually absorb from either your diet (just because it contains that much iron it's not guaranteed that you actually absorb that much) or the vitamin tablets
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great question!

Once in a blue moon I'll take a multivitamin, but I know that some our bodies can't flush out so it's actually harmful to take them every day. I'll take 2-3 Vitamin C pills a day when I feel myself getting sick and it seems to help decrease length and severity of the cold or flu. I take psyllum husks natural fiber capsules as often as I can remember them. I take evening primrose oil when i am PMSing and it really helps even me out. Lately I'm also trying to take turmeric capsules... it's supposed to prevent cancer and has a bunch of other health benefits.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I take a generic women's multivitamin when I'm low on fresh foods and produce in the house. I'm considering taking half of one every day regardless of diet but I'm not sure it's necessary -- gonna track my micronutrients more closely for a few weeks and see what's indicated.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D and a Multi
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am taking liquid multi because it is easier on the tummy. Vitamin D because mine is to low. Acidophilus for yeast health and intestinal health. Vitamin B for my adrenal health. DIM for my estrogen dominance. I also take Greens and Emergency for healthy immune system.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    my husband and i both take a multivitamin and a vitamin c tablet. I added the vitamin c to keep us armed for the germs this time of year. I admit that I am the vitamin police to my husband but he cant be too annoyed because I am only thinking of him afterall. I mainly focus on getting in my food pyramid for my vitamins and nutrients but the vitamins can only help out.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I am a woman obviously, so I take One a day woman's. I am also prediabetic so I take cinnamon pills to help regulate my sugar intake. I don't have heart problems but they run my the family so I take a baby aspirin, krill oil and CoQ10, just as a precaution. I am prone to UTI's so I take vitamin C (note: have not had one since I added this pill), I take a total probiotic pill to avoid constipation. I have PCOS so I take birth control and alpha lipoic acid to help with my hormones.

Yes I take 9 pills every morning.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally take a product by Standard Process called Catalyn, their version of a multivitamin. It is a cold-processed, whole food vitamin source.

Enough studies have shown that long-term, high dosages of certain synthetically derived vitamins can actually have a detrimental health impact.(1,2)

1 http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VITAMINE-HealthProfessional/
    Section - Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin E
    2 http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminA-HealthProfessional/
    Section - Health Risks from Excessive Vitamin A
  • aliu00
    aliu00 Posts: 61
    Options
    Previously, I was taking One a day for woman. Recently I change to drink isotonix multi-vitamins, B Complex, Calcium, and OPC-3.
    After 5 minutes, I drink my milk and eat my breakfast. i feel I have more energy than before.
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I take quite a few vitamins and take them in two "meals". Morning = 1/2 one a day multi vitamin, probiotic (for regularity), Plant Sterols (Dr. recomended to reduce bad cholesterol), Omega 3 supplement, Cinnamon (stops vitamin burbs for me). Evening = 1/2 one a day vitamin, Plant Sterols, Hair, Skin & Nail multi ( my allergies make me very prone to dry brittle skin), Joint health ( for my creaky knees). I also have started taking a Vitamin D suppliment with lunch since my last blood work came back very deficient.
  • Flex382
    Flex382 Posts: 257
    Options
    b complex, multi, vit c, calcimum, butyou need to go to the doc get a blood test and c what ur body lacks and go from there
  • sirvivor007
    sirvivor007 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Centrum multi for men (fill in)
    Nordic Naturals 3-6-9 (omegas)
    Ubiquinol (CoQ10)
    Ginko Biloba (memory)
  • ashily_kirsten
    Options
    What vitamins do you take and why do you take each of them?

I regularly take a complete multivitamin with added Ribose from Hercules Vitamins to fill the other important vitamins and minerals that I might be missing. The added Ribose provides my body with extra energy helping me get throughout the day.
  • smp0723
    smp0723 Posts: 88
    Options
    Previously, I was taking One a day for woman. Recently I change to drink isotonix multi-vitamins, B Complex, Calcium, and OPC-3.
    After 5 minutes, I drink my milk and eat my breakfast. i feel I have more energy than before.

Hi,
    I am just wondering if you are still using Isotonix? I just started about 2 weeks ago and am curious how people that have used them for longer periods feel about them.

Thanks.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Vit D, Multi Vit and fish oil omega 3.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kirkland daily Multivitamin, fills in any holes I have in my nutrition from what I eat

I also take a daily multi--just started--plus a fish oil tablet. I'm kind of unsure whether it's necessary/desireable. since I actually do try to get a lot of micronutrients from food and eat a pretty good and varied diet, but even with that I know there tend to be 5-6 main vegetables that I always am going back to, and I'm probably short on Vitamin D, etc., and mostly I just don't want to have to think about it that hard, so I like the idea of the backstop. But if there's some reason not to I would be interested to know.