Do I need to stop being vegetarian?

Options
2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd get a whey protein - you can add this to so many things or have it as a shake and it'll up your protein easily. I have had better success in terms of growth with whey compared to vegan proteins so if you're still training hard it may be a good option.

If you're struggling with calories, up your good fats. Cook in coconut oil, add olive oil to salads or vegies. If you struggle to eat enough, incorporate smoothies in to your day. Greens, fruit, protein, fats (nut butter, coconut milk, etc) all whizzed up will be easier to drink than a meal.

I'd cut the cardio, doing none is better! Stick to the weights, and don't worry about the carbs - they'll help you out!

Also, you haven't had your period in months. This is not normal - I'd actually recommend cutting way back on all exercise, even weights. Getting plenty of fat and carbs from good quality sources, and lessening stress on your body may help in this regard.
  • RunForChai
    RunForChai Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    As painful as it was morally, I had to start eating meat to get healthy and strong [at the advise, long resisted, of my medical advisor]---some people thrive as vegetarians, I was not one of them. I only eat organic, grass fed meat, cage-free eggs, non treated milk. I am very strong now, close to my ideal weight and am able to be the athlete I enjoy being.

Many of my friends were/are ardent vegetarians and vegans who insists that everyone can do it and maintain health, but I've found not all people can. It was hard to start eating meat again but it has made a huge difference in my life.

Good luck. The decision is your's, you may want to try it for a few months and see if there is any change.
  • equinegirl200
    equinegirl200 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It takes a while to adjust to the gluten free diet, and to start gaining again after being sick for so long and finally getting a diagnosis. After losing about 20 pounds before being diagnosed with Celiac Disease it took a bit for my body to catch up, but I was able to put the weight back on (hence why I'm on MFP!)!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've been to several doctors about this and they all say that my diet is fine and that there's nothing to worry about. I do eat a lot of dairy but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

If your doctors tell you you're fine eating 1500 calories a day and working out 3 hours six days a week while feeling like crap and not having your period, keep going until you find a doctor who will help. I agree that going to a dietician will help. In the meantime, cut back on the workouts.

And I don't believe you have to eat meat to feel better. You can try all sorts of protein supplements.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Eggs and dairy? Those things make up a large portion of my vegetarian diet.

It is probably really difficult with Celiac, though. Maybe see a nutritionist about what you can do.

But if you're not getting your period, that's a major sign that something is wrong.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    wow. If it were me, I'd definitely start eating meat.
  • Quercusia
    Quercusia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just try eating little and often. I'm not one for large meals so trying to force yourself to only eat 3 times a day is torture. Try to eat every couple of hours.

And according to BMI 5'4" and 50Kg is healthy (low, but healthy)
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just try eating little and often. I'm not one for large meals so trying to force yourself to only eat 3 times a day is torture. Try to eat every couple of hours.

And according to BMI 5'4" and 50Kg is healthy (low, but healthy)
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/healthy-living/Pages/height-weight-chart.aspx
    She's not having a period. It may be healthy for some women who are that height, but it obviously is not healthy for the OP. Or she has some other health problem. But stoppping her period, unless it's birth control-related, means something is wrong.
  • AprilLizbethWire
    AprilLizbethWire Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Personally - I'm Plant Based (which is like vegan, but focuses on whole plant foods for health reasons) and I made the switch pretty easily. I don't have any issues with gluten though. I only do about 20 - 30 minutes of cardio a day with a work out about once a week. I eat about 1,200 to 1,300 calories a day. I'm restricting my calories to lose weight. I made all these changes in about a month's time with no negative repercussions.

If I had made these changes and started having issues like yours I would have either tried different combinations of foods, cardio, and work outs until I found a combo that worked for me or (especially if I was having problems for months like you have been) I would consult a dietitian or nutritionist. Doctors don't usually study nutrition (I don't think they do anyway) which is why I think a dietitian or nutritionist may be a better choice for you. There is something off with your body it sounds like, I really think you need help that goes beyond MFP forums.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Vegetarians do have a tendency not to get enough protein. My suggestion would be to use whey protein powders, and possibly the occassional fish, like once a week or so.

You don't have to give up vegetarianism completely.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight continuously for about a year now. At first it was great, I was doing more exercise and eating better than ever before. But I was always tired and my stomach always hurt. I had problems with food as a result and stopped eating, but kept exercising as much (I do olympic weight lifiting for 2 hours and either cycle or walk for another 1.5hours 6 times a week. On the days I don't go to the gym I go for a 30 min run). I really enjoy the exercise.
    I was diagnosed with ceoliac disease about 2 months ago and the stomach problems have stopped, but I all my family keeps telling me I'm too underweight. I get chest pains when I don't eat "much" (about 1500 calories) and I often get sugar lows if i'm even half an hour late for a meal and haven't had my period for quite some time now.
    I'm trying to eat more, but as a gluten free vegetarian it's very hard to find foods I can eat and even when I do, they mostly tend to be vegetables, plain carbs like rice or very high in sugar, which I don't like eating.
    I really don't want to eat meat, but I don't want to stop exercising and I'm scared about losing even more weight. I really don't want to end up in hospital. I feel like I have to eat meat. I don't know what to do :S
    The key to health is getting enough fruits and vegetables, along with exercise, sunlight, clean water, etc. The base of anyone's diet should be fruits and veggies, and anything else can fill in the gaps.
  • deedzzz
    deedzzz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    you could supplement your diet with whey protein, either as smoothies or bars or whatever you fancy
  • QuirkyD
    QuirkyD Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My story--

I was an unhealthy vegetarian for almost 4 years. At the time I was mostly just walking but then I started at a kettlebell gym and just fell flat. I had no stamina and got nauseous at every work out. As a result I signed up with a trainer/nutritionist who put me on a high protein meat based diet. I felt immediately better and had so much stamina. it has been about 4 yrs and now I am feeling guilty again for eating meat (stopped for animal welfare) .

Good luck deciding what to do-- it is a hard choice :)
  • rml_16
    Options
    My story--

I was an unhealthy vegetarian for almost 4 years. At the time I was mostly just walking but then I started at a kettlebell gym and just fell flat. I had no stamina and got nauseous at every work out. As a result I signed up with a trainer/nutritionist who put me on a high protein meat based diet. I felt immediately better and had so much stamina. it has been about 4 yrs and now I am feeling guilty again for eating meat (stopped for animal welfare) .

Good luck deciding what to do-- it is a hard choice :)
    I've been a healthy vegetarian with plenty of energy and stamina for many years. If you don't eat the right foods, any diet will make a person unhealthy. Meat is not magic.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight continuously for about a year now. At first it was great, I was doing more exercise and eating better than ever before. But I was always tired and my stomach always hurt. I had problems with food as a result and stopped eating, but kept exercising as much (I do olympic weight lifiting for 2 hours and either cycle or walk for another 1.5hours 6 times a week. On the days I don't go to the gym I go for a 30 min run). I really enjoy the exercise.
    I was diagnosed with ceoliac disease about 2 months ago and the stomach problems have stopped, but I all my family keeps telling me I'm too underweight. I get chest pains when I don't eat "much" (about 1500 calories) and I often get sugar lows if i'm even half an hour late for a meal and haven't had my period for quite some time now.
    I'm trying to eat more, but as a gluten free vegetarian it's very hard to find foods I can eat and even when I do, they mostly tend to be vegetables, plain carbs like rice or very high in sugar, which I don't like eating.
    I really don't want to eat meat, but I don't want to stop exercising and I'm scared about losing even more weight. I really don't want to end up in hospital. I feel like I have to eat meat. I don't know what to do :S

So from your post it's unclear as to what kind of vegetarian you are, lacto-ovo? You can add in meal/protein shakes to supplement your diet which can be made calorie dense if you want to gain/maintain weight. It sounds like you aren't eating enough for the type of exercise you enjoy which can caused the tiredness. You don't have to eat meat.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Are you using a digital food scale to weigh all your food? How many lbs (kg) are you losing per week? I ask because, a few months ago, a girl claimed to be eating a lot of calories but later realized she was eating far less than she thought. Even if you are eating 2000 calories, it may not be enough if you're engaging in 3.5 hours of strenuous exercise 6 days a week.

If you can't eat more meals, or larger meals, add caloric ingredients. For example, a cup of whole milk with a serving of whey protein will provide about 300 calories. Toss in two tablespoons of almond butter and that adds another 290 calories.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    As someone who tries to cut out meat as best I can (98% of the time at least) I'd say that's not the answer to the problem, you can be fine not eating meat. IF you are finding alternate sources of protein like everyone has said. Also, my ex was celiac and his doctor told him a lot of celiacs also have problems with lactose. Not sure if that's the case for you but if it isn't a problem I'd say try adding more cheese and such. I also use a Vegan protein powder called "Vega" try it out!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Oh come on. Forget about this in-depth analysis and go and treat yourself to a burger!
  • fashionosack
    Options
    If you want to lose weight through vegetarian, it should be noted that natural vegetarian-based, rather than what we have seen in the market, refined processed flour, instant noodles, cakes and other easily digestible food. Natural Vegetarian including natural cereals, whole wheat flour products, beans, green or yellow vegetables. High natural sugar content and high-fat vegetarian diet should be eaten sparingly manner. When those who are used to eating meat beginning vegetarian diet, do not be anxious, you can step by step, from the dish vegetarian meal try to eat two to start, and then gradually reducing meat such as adaptation and refined foods, slowly turning to natural vegetarian .