Do I need to stop being vegetarian?

Options
I've been losing weight continuously for about a year now. At first it was great, I was doing more exercise and eating better than ever before. But I was always tired and my stomach always hurt. I had problems with food as a result and stopped eating, but kept exercising as much (I do olympic weight lifiting for 2 hours and either cycle or walk for another 1.5hours 6 times a week. On the days I don't go to the gym I go for a 30 min run). I really enjoy the exercise.
I was diagnosed with ceoliac disease about 2 months ago and the stomach problems have stopped, but I all my family keeps telling me I'm too underweight. I get chest pains when I don't eat "much" (about 1500 calories) and I often get sugar lows if i'm even half an hour late for a meal and haven't had my period for quite some time now.
I'm trying to eat more, but as a gluten free vegetarian it's very hard to find foods I can eat and even when I do, they mostly tend to be vegetables, plain carbs like rice or very high in sugar, which I don't like eating.
I really don't want to eat meat, but I don't want to stop exercising and I'm scared about losing even more weight. I really don't want to end up in hospital. I feel like I have to eat meat. I don't know what to do :S

Replies

• pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm sure many people will be along soon so offer some good solid advice. There is a method for eating healthily and getting results from almost any medical condition.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I've been losing weight continuously for about a year now. At first it was great, I was doing more exercise and eating better than ever before. But I was always tired and my stomach always hurt. I had problems with food as a result and stopped eating, but kept exercising as much (I do olympic weight lifiting for 2 hours and either cycle or walk for another 1.5hours 6 times a week. On the days I don't go to the gym I go for a 30 min run). I really enjoy the exercise.
    I was diagnosed with ceoliac disease about 2 months ago and the stomach problems have stopped, but I all my family keeps telling me I'm too underweight. I get chest pains when I don't eat "much" (about 1500 calories) and I often get sugar lows if i'm even half an hour late for a meal and haven't had my period for quite some time now.
    I'm trying to eat more, but as a gluten free vegetarian it's very hard to find foods I can eat and even when I do, they mostly tend to be vegetables, plain carbs like rice or very high in sugar, which I don't like eating.
    I really don't want to eat meat, but I don't want to stop exercising and I'm scared about losing even more weight. I really don't want to end up in hospital. I feel like I have to eat meat. I don't know what to do :S

Have you spoken to your physician about this?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Have you tried meeting with a dietician? They would be able to help you design a meal plan that helps you meet your needs.

Do you eat dairy at all right now?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Ask you diagnosing clinician to refer you to a dietitian.
  • azrielda
    azrielda Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've been to several doctors about this and they all say that my diet is fine and that there's nothing to worry about. I do eat a lot of dairy but it doesn't seem to be helping much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    do you eat dairy?

nuts/nut butters are high in calories.

also, there is nothing wrong with carbs like rice/potatoes/sweet potatoes/gluten free pasta
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Make sure (assuming it's okay with your dietary restrictions) to eat full fat dairy rather than low-fat or nonfat. That will help bump up your calories. Also you can add peanut butter, pesto, avocado, and other higher fat foods. If you can't eat larger portions then maybe just add an extra snack during your day.

Are you currently still losing weight?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I've been to several doctors about this and they all say that my diet is fine and that there's nothing to worry about. I do eat a lot of dairy but it doesn't seem to be helping much.

you havent given any actual figures, what are your stats, how many cals do you net per day?

have yo utold your family that the doctor said you were fine?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    also, there is nothing wrong with carbs like rice/potatoes/sweet potatoes/gluten free pasta

Also this. Nothing wrong with rice/potatoes. I'd avoid making any further restrictions to your diet since you're already fairly restricted.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Also if you don't already do so I'd recommend using a diet suitable protein supplement powder. It'll help to bump up your protein intake & your overall calories per day. They can be gotten in vegan suitable forms if necessary to fit your choices.

I personally started eating fish in the last year & it makes eating a balanced diet a lot easier, but there's no particular reason you need to stop your vegetarian diet if you make sure to get enough your necessary nutrients.
  • Nuts and seeds. My vegetarian ex used to eat them by the bagful and, although always at the lowest body fat percentage that could be healthy, he *was* healthy (and evil, but I don't think that had anything to do with his diet!).
  • azrielda
    Options
    I eat around 1800-2000 calories a day, I'm 164cm (5ft 4") at 50kgs. I am still losing weight. I do eat peanut butter and potato and rice pretty much everyday. My stomach can't handle large meals, so I snack about 2 times(usually milk/mixed nuts) a day, but I'm just can't seem to get enough calories in. Not even sure how many i need to be eating. Doctors have just said to eat more, and I am, but it doesn't seem to be working
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If you open your food diary it will be easier to help here.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    I eat around 1800-2000 calories a day, I'm 164cm (5ft 4") at 50kgs. I am still losing weight. I do eat peanut butter and potato and rice pretty much everyday. My stomach can't handle large meals, so I snack about 2 times(usually milk/mixed nuts) a day, but I'm just can't seem to get enough calories in. Not even sure how many i need to be eating. Doctors have just said to eat more, and I am, but it doesn't seem to be working

maybe cut back on some of the cardio, then you dont need to eat so much?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and gluten free, and it IS hard to find protein foods, especially if you are looking for pre-made veggie burgers and the like.

I eat a LOT of Greek yogurt and a fair amount of tofu. I use beans and lentils very frequently to make chilis, dals, and soups. Egg salad and baked egg dishes are also good. Part-skim mozzarella gives a good amount of protein and can be used with corn tortillas for a nice quesadilla.

I have my protein goal at 25% of my calories, and meet that goal pretty well most of the time this way.
  • azrielda
    Options
    Never thought of greek yoghurt, thanks ^^
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd get a whey protein - you can add this to so many things or have it as a shake and it'll up your protein easily. I have had better success in terms of growth with whey compared to vegan proteins so if you're still training hard it may be a good option.

If you're struggling with calories, up your good fats. Cook in coconut oil, add olive oil to salads or vegies. If you struggle to eat enough, incorporate smoothies in to your day. Greens, fruit, protein, fats (nut butter, coconut milk, etc) all whizzed up will be easier to drink than a meal.

I'd cut the cardio, doing none is better! Stick to the weights, and don't worry about the carbs - they'll help you out!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I am a gluten free vegan and have no problem gaining weight. Once you adjust to your diagnosis, you'll feel much more comfortable and relaxed. It will come more naturally.

Since you don't like to eat a lot, make a point to include a couple of high calorie items in there. Try some macaroni and cheese. Amy's makes a teeny vegan, gluten free one for 520 calories. Try a peanut butter banana protein shake-that is easily 400-600 calories depending on what you use. You can do serious damage to your bones not having your period.

Make sure you are getting enough electrolytes and fluids in general to address some of those other issues.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I am sure I will rile certain people here, but just eat meat. It's nature.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    As long as you are willing to take supplements and plan meals extensively you can do it with pretty much any diet plan. An omnivorous diet is simply the easiest way to meet your nutritional goals because not nearly as much planning or supplementation is required.