• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    In for science...or not
  • majii13
    majii13 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    or just study of one?

I don't think 'study of one' constitutes proof of anything.

If something is claimed to be impossible and one person does it, that proves that it isn't impossible. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but one is all it takes to prove that the "impossible" is possible.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I am finally ready after 2 years of experimention to firmly say that the prevailing concept that a caloric surplus is necessary to build muscle is untrue. I know this is going to get a lot of backlash since it has been the belief for so long amongst the general public, but I am now living proof that muscle and strength gains can be acheived through an intense lifting regiment and a closely monitered intake even with a slight caloric deficit. Without getting into too much detail about mself, I can just tell you that I net under my TDEE every week, and every week I get bigger, stronger, and more defined. The key is simply lifting heavy weights to the point of misery, and eating a crap load of protein. Of course if you want to get bigger faster, eat more, but I am much happier making slow gains while maintaining a six pack than benching 285 lbs. with a beer gut.

Sounds like a well controlled experiment

Yep... those single subject experiments done by non-researchers always prove to be the truth. At least on Facebook.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    OP ignore the haterz. :flowerforyou: Their just jelouse! Thanks for sharing your studies and congradulatons.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I am finally ready after 2 years of experimention to firmly say that the prevailing concept that a caloric surplus is necessary to build muscle is untrue. I know this is going to get a lot of backlash since it has been the belief for so long amongst the general public, but I am now living proof that muscle and strength gains can be acheived through an intense lifting regiment and a closely monitered intake even with a slight caloric deficit. Without getting into too much detail about mself, I can just tell you that I net under my TDEE every week, and every week I get bigger, stronger, and more defined. The key is simply lifting heavy weights to the point of misery, and eating a crap load of protein. Of course if you want to get bigger faster, eat more, but I am much happier making slow gains while maintaining a six pack than benching 285 lbs. with a beer gut.

Sounds like a well controlled experiment

lol this.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    no one's ever said that you can't get stronger on a defecit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    or just study of one?

If something is claimed to be impossible and one person CREDIBLY does it, that proves that it isn't impossible. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but one is all it takes to prove that the "impossible" is possible.

FTFY
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    or just study of one?

If something is claimed to be impossible and one person does it, that proves that it isn't impossible. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but one is all it takes to prove that the "impossible" is possible.

True, but you also have to ensure that you actually did the "impossible". Without peer review or proper scientific method, we have no reason to believe that his physics-defying program didn't work simply because he mismeasured. It's Occam's Razor.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for, uh...

...honestly, I have no idea why I'm here.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    In...

...for, uh...

...honestly, I have no idea why I'm here.

Because you're jealous. :flowerforyou:
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    BF% measurements are not accurate.

You are indeed very special if you can gain 16lbs of LBM as a woman in 6 months at a calorie deficit of that size.
    Write a book. Mint a fortune.

LOL, I know bodyfat percentage measurements aren't perfect, but they can be pretty close.

My plan is 1 1/2 -2 hours of working out everyday, some of that is cardio, some strength, plus eating enough protein every day, and averaging around 1600-2000 calories each day.

BF% measurements vary +- 5% to 10%.

You lost 51 pounds in 6 months or accroding to you 67 pounds of fat. That's about 11 lbs a month or 2.5 lbs a week which makes it a daily net deficit of about 1300 calories EXCLUDING metabolism need to repair and build muscle.

So seriously, you just invented the single most efficient muscle building program (at a daily deficit of 1300) of that the world has ever seen. And you should market it. Because gaining over 2.5 lbs a month of LBM (AT A DEFICIT) exceeds the metabolic capability of most men at maintenance.

Or your measurements are off.
  • kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    BF% measurements are not accurate.

You are indeed very special if you can gain 16lbs of LBM as a woman in 6 months at a calorie deficit of that size.
    Write a book. Mint a fortune.

LOL, I know bodyfat percentage measurements aren't perfect, but they can be pretty close.

My plan is 1 1/2 -2 hours of working out everyday, some of that is cardio, some strength, plus eating enough protein every day, and averaging around 1600-2000 calories each day.

BF% measurements vary +- 5% to 10%.

You lost 51 pounds in 6 months or accroding to you 67 pounds of fat. That's about 11 lbs a month or 2.5 lbs a week which makes it a daily net deficit of about 1300 calories EXCLUDING metabolism need to repair and build muscle.

So seriously, you just invented the single most efficient muscle building program (at a daily deficit of 1300) of that the world has ever seen. And you should market it. Because gaining over 2.5 lbs a month of LBM (AT A DEFICIT) exceeds the metabolic capability of most men at maintenance.

Or your measurements are off.

justslowclapitoutjennamarbles.gif
  • shmoony
    shmoony Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Fine. You guys are forcing me to get more specific. So here I go:

1) I am about as accurate a logger as there is. I track everything down to the gram. Unless its the occasional cheat meal, if it's not weighed and portioned, it doesn't go in my mouth.

2) My BF% has not decreased in over a year. I have been lean to the point of definition, vascularity and striations for over a year, my change in appearance is only due to muscle gain, not increased defintion due to fat loss.

3) I never said that I haven't gained weight. I have gained 6-7 lbs. of lean muscle in the last 8 months while maintaining BF%

4) I'm not making newbie gains. I am 40 years old and have lifted weights off and on for 25 years.

5) My TDEE is only as accurate as what MFP and FItbit tell me. So I can't argue with the fact that my TDEE is less than what I'm being told. But if that's the case, how did I successfully lose weight based on the same calculator.

What I believe is happening is that by maintaining a slight deficit and lifting with super high intensity, I am forcing my body to use whatever it can to rebuild muscle. I fully understand the science behind hypertrophy and being in an anabolic state, so I can't tell you scientifically why this has been working for me, but the proof is in the pudding. I don't like putting pictures of myself online, so youre; just going to have to take my word for it.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Good for you. :)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

1) I am about as accurate a logger as there is. I track everything down to the gram. Unless its the occasional cheat meal, if it's not weighed and portioned, it doesn't go in my mouth.

2) My BF% has not decreased in over a year. I have been lean to the point of definition, vascularity and striations for over a year, my change in appearance is only due to muscle gain, not increased defintion due to fat loss.

3) I never said that I haven't gained weight. I have gained 6-7 lbs. of lean muscle in the last 8 months while maintaining BF%

4) I'm not making newbie gains. I am 40 years old and have lifted weights off and on for 25 years.

5) My TDEE is only as accurate as what MFP and FItbit tell me. So I can't argue with the fact that my TDEE is less than what I'm being told. But if that's the case, how did I successfully lose weight based on the same calculator.

What I believe is happening is that by maintaining a slight deficit and lifting with super high intensity, I am forcing my body to use whatever it can to rebuild muscle. I fully understand the science behind hypertrophy and being in an anabolic state, so I can't tell you scientifically why this has been working for me, but the proof is in the pudding. I don't like putting pictures of myself online, so youre; just going to have to take my word for it.

How are you measuring your bf? BIA?
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Taking the word of someone who randomly posts on an internet forum. Yes, because that's a creditable source.

I see one major flaw in your argument: You got your TDEE from MFP (widely renowned as the least accurate calculator online) and a fitbit (another rather inaccurate form of measuring TDEE).
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Fine. You guys are forcing me to get more specific.

So, how much muscle mass did everyone build simply by twisting the OP's arm? Someone should do a study!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

billnye_zpsb4475814.gif
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

You have gained 6-7 lbs while maintaining BF%, so you are up 6-7 lbs in that 8 months? Then you were eating above your TDEE...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How are you measuring your bf? BIA?

^^this.

Also, even if you did, you appear to be a genetically superior being. 6 - 7 lb of LBM (lets assume this is actually muscle and that it is accurate), in 8 months after 25 years of lifting at a low BF%...considering a couple of pounds a year under ideal circumstances (at a surplus) would be good going for someone with your stats.