Bulking booty

Options
ive been squatting for 3.5 months now. i'm 5'0", 100lbs, currently squatting 115-125lbs

i follow a lot of female trainers on instagram who have built rly big bums for themselves and sometimes i videos i see them using really light weights for leg/butt exercises... like squatting with 20-40lbs barbells on their back.

my question is, is there still any point to squat/lunge/deadlift with light weights in regards to bulking up? or is it just for toning? when i started i couldnt even hold the barbell, and had to start with 10lbs dumbbells.

Replies

• alecno
    alecno Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I suspect it is so they can do more reps and really wear out the "booty" muscle before the legs give out. Similar to how on bicep curls, it is often suggested you aim for lower-weight sets of 15 to ensure the bicep gets worked hard before the other arm muscles wear out and you quit.

What is your leg routine like?
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I suspect it is so they can do more reps and really wear out the "booty" muscle before the legs give out. Similar to how on bicep curls, it is often suggested you aim for lower-weight sets of 15 to ensure the bicep gets worked hard before the other arm muscles wear out and you quit.

What is your leg routine like?

my leg routine is typically like this

squats
    barbell lunges
    dumbbell deadlifts
    hip abductions
    hyperextensions

should i do light weights in between?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    There isn't such a thing as "toning" muscles. Looking "toned" is about improving your body composition by reducing fat mass while preserving the underlying muscle so it becomes visible.

To the girls you reference: some of them will do lighter resistance but train the glutes frequently with high volume of sets and reps. But if you are looking at optimizing gains in muscle mass, eating a calorie surplus with muscle hypertrophy training is a more efficient use of your time.

I'm at work but will PM you a research review which highlights the effects of training frequency, intensity and volume on muscle hypertrophy. The greatest gains come with the following:
    1). Train each muscle group 2-3 times per week.
    2). Train between 70-80% of your 1-rep max.
    3). Do 4-6 sets (per exercise) with total reps per muscle group between 40-60.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    There's also significant genetics involved with booty size.
  • wargrrl
    Options
    There isn't such a thing as "toning" muscles. Looking "toned" is about improving your body composition by reducing fat mass while preserving the underlying muscle so it becomes visible.

To the girls you reference: some of them will do lighter resistance but train the glutes frequently with high volume of sets and reps. But if you are looking at optimizing gains in muscle mass, eating a calorie surplus with muscle hypertrophy training is a more efficient use of your time.

I'm at work but will PM you a research review which highlights the effects of training frequency, intensity and volume on muscle hypertrophy. The greatest gains come with the following:
    1). Train each muscle group 2-3 times per week.
    2). Train between 70-80% of your 1-rep max.
    3). Do 4-6 sets (per exercise) with total reps per muscle group between 40-60.

thanks a lot!
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    ive been squatting for 3.5 months now. i'm 5'0", 100lbs, currently squatting 115-125lbs

i follow a lot of female trainers on instagram who have built rly big bums for themselves and sometimes i videos i see them using really light weights for leg/butt exercises... like squatting with 20-40lbs barbells on their back.

my question is, is there still any point to squat/lunge/deadlift with light weights in regards to bulking up? or is it just for toning? when i started i couldnt even hold the barbell, and had to start with 10lbs dumbbells.

Another thing: It's all about progressive overload over time. The amount of weight that someone starts with may seem ridiculously light and easy to lift for 1000 reps (ok I'm exaggerating) for someone else. It's about increasing it over time...not how much you start out with in your first 6 months of working out.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    There's also significant genetics involved with booty size.

Yeah, butt (no pun intended!) like anything else...the more you train that muscle, and if you eat extra calories and enough protein while doing so over months and years, you can increase the size of that particular muscle. It's not rocket science. That said, everyone has different proportions, and to get a big butt, some girls will also have to build huge legs...while others won't. Some girls may have to eat a crap ton of food...others not so much. You find what works for you and do it!
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Do you have a too small of butt or a flat butt? There is a difference which may change how you approach your training. Post a side profile pic.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Glute glory here:
    http://bretcontreras.com/
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dispelling_the_glute_myth
    https://www.youtube.com/user/bretcontreras1
    The Glute Guy Bret Contreras has some research that suggests glute training may be more beneficial in the 20 rep range.
  • wargrrl
    Options
    Do you have a too small of butt or a flat butt? There is a difference which may change how you approach your training. Post a side profile pic.

this is my progress so far

tumblr_n2spuvEPLa1qjg89ko1_1280.jpg

link to image here since its cut off

https://31.media.tumblr.com/d48e326544253decf84561a98d3d6538/tumblr_n2spuvEPLa1qjg89ko1_1280.jpg

first pic: before working out
    2nd pic: 2 mnths
    3rd pic: 3.5 months
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

https://31.media.tumblr.com/d48e326544253decf84561a98d3d6538/tumblr_n2spuvEPLa1qjg89ko1_1280.jpg

That's really good progress for 3.5 months! (You were talking like you were someone stuck at the level of your first picture.) Great job! Did you intentionally bulk to achieve the muscle gain? I thought that other guy's request to see progress pics was going to scare you away...but no. You obviously know what you're doing with progress like that...

And you're definitely following progressive overload from what you said in the first post. I would totally keep doing what you're doing..and keep increasing the weight as you go. Have you also been increasing calories? I assume you've gained weight to gain muscle.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    yoink
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    :love:
    OMG I LOVE YOUR PROGRESS PIC!!!! I am totally hoping to gain a booty by squatting heavy (is that the right term?) and your pics prove it is possible!!!

Congrats on your progress!!! :drinker:
  • wargrrl
    Options

That's really good progress for 3.5 months! (You were talking like you were someone stuck at the level of your first picture.) Great job! Did you intentionally bulk to achieve the muscle gain? I thought that other guy's request to see progress pics was going to scare you away...but no. You obviously know what you're doing with progress like that...

And you're definitely following progressive overload from what you said in the first post. iI would totally keep doing what you're doing..and keep increasing the weight as you go. Have you also been increasing calories? I assume you've gained weight to gain muscle.

thanks a lot. before working out i was 95lbs, and im currently 100lbs. and tbh, i didn't intentionally bulk... like i dont keep track of calories, even though i probably should. however i do make sure i get at least 100 grams of protein a day. other than that i just try to eat healthy and consistently.
  • themtron
    themtron Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    did u have to gain weight?
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options

And you're definitely following progressive overload from what you said in the first post. iI would totally keep doing what you're doing..and keep increasing the weight as you go. Have you also been increasing calories? I assume you've gained weight to gain muscle.

thanks a lot. before working out i was 95lbs, and im currently 100lbs. and tbh, i didn't intentionally bulk... like i dont keep track of calories, even though i probably should. however i do make sure i get at least 100 grams of protein a day. other than that i just try to eat healthy and consistently.

That's the awesome thing about being female and small...you don't need many calories to bulk...and you don't even have to think about it in the beginning. Now as a guy, I've only gained about 8 lbs over the last few months...and have had to increase calories by 100 or so every couple of pounds. I have a thread further down about this. I'm going to be closing in on about 3500 calories per day in order to bulk at a proper rate now. As a small woman, you don't need anywhere near that...and can still build muscle for a while without being super obsessive about it.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Options
    did u have to gain weight?

Hey...she answered that right above your post!
  • wargrrl
    Options

That's the awesome thing about being female and small...you don't need many calories to bulk...and you don't even have to think about it in the beginning. Now as a guy, I've only gained about 8 lbs over the last few months...and have had to increase calories by 100 or so every couple of pounds. I have a thread further down about this. I'm going to be closing in on about 3500 calories per day in order to bulk at a proper rate now. As a small woman, you don't need anywhere near that...and can still build muscle for a while without being super obsessive about it.

yeah and i guess im pretty lucky being small because i dont have to spend more money on food/tubs of protein lol. when i started out i was pretty stressed about the diet aspect because i thought i had to be obsessive with counting calories and such. if i have to consume a caloric surplus, i'd have to eat around 1700-2000 calories and i dont think i even have the appetite for that lol... tbh im not even sure if ive been eating that much every day since i started working out.
  • wargrrl
    Options
    :love:
    OMG I LOVE YOUR PROGRESS PIC!!!! I am totally hoping to gain a booty by squatting heavy (is that the right term?) and your pics prove it is possible!!!

Congrats on your progress!!! :drinker:

thanks gurl. you can totally do it