Bulk

Options
2»

Replies

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if I could do 40/40/20 but I'll try...it's 275 grams of protein I get around 200 right now with 100 from protein powder pretty much every day, it'll be quite tough. I could probably do 50/30/20 though.

275 is excessive by most standards. 200 is plenty. Even 150 would give you 1g per pound of LBM. Any way for you to get more than 50% of your protein from whole foods?
  • b3st
    b3st Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Aim for 0.5 - 1lb a week, otherwise you'll be bulking forever at the rate you have gained.
  • NRBreit
    Options
    Yeah probably, why though?

Protein powders are a supplement. Do you think drinking 3 shakes a day to get 50% of your daily protein macro is the best choice? There's no right or wrong answer, just something to think about. Also, depending on your tolerance, you may find that you become very 'stinky'.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever been below 16% body fat in my life, I believe I'm around 21-22% right now but not sure (never had it tested)

I've done the losing part before, went from 220-170 last year.

I'm not sure if I could do 40/40/20 but I'll try...it's 275 grams of protein I get around 200 right now with 100 from protein powder pretty much every day, it'll be quite tough. I could probably do 50/30/20 though.

If you're 21-22% bodyfat, you can throw bulking out the window my friend. Nutrient partitioning will cause more fat storage then what you're looking for. You need to cut to a lower bodyfat % before you bulk. Trust me on this. You bulk now and next season you are going to have alot of trouble. I know you want to look good, we all do but there's a way to do it. Do you honestly think bulking at 22% bodyfat will make you "look good"? Get leaner, adjust your intake and aim for .5-1 lb per week next off season and keep it CLEAN.

275g of protein is entirely too much. Carbohydrates are the king macronutrient during a bulking phase. You want 50-60% cals coming from them, protein can be calculated by LBM or total body weight, depending on preference and fat totals are usuallt calculated .3-.5 x bodyweight.

Also protein supplements are just that (supplements). They are best consumed pre and post workout but that's really the only place for them due to their fast absorption combined with the sugars used to spike insulin and aid in inducing protein synthesis. Any other time of day you should favor whole food sources due to their thermogenic effects and more complete Amino chain.
  • NRBreit
    Options
    I have one right after I lift and one in the evening usually. Mine has only 1 gram of carbs in it, no sugar.

Most protein powders are about 25g per serving. How are you getting 100g on 2 shakes? Double serving?
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    That's a really clean whey isolate. Nonetheless, I'd drop it down to 1 scoop pre/1 post. What I do is have 1 scoop pre (I make a chocolate milk with it adding water) then add it to a serving of shredded wheat as my pre workout. It's almost the best protein/complex carb ratio I've been able to find for a pre workout meal.

Post workout I'll have a mix of simple/complex carbs with 1 scoop whey, 1 serving of fruity pebbles & 1 serving of rolled oats (It's amazing and a great mix of simple/complex carbs for post workout nutrition) OR 1 scoop/water and throw in a pop tart or 2. You could also add some dextrose post workout, it's entirely up to you. I find I look better/grow more when I have simple carbs immediately post workout.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I've gained 3.6 pounds in 11 weeks (~.33) pounds per week. Averaged 2530 calories over that time. Good pace for my bulk?

You likely could more than double that pace without a serious impact to muscle:fat gain ratio.

0.33 lb for week is overly slow, especially for a dude.
  • waldo56
    Options
    At first, I was really underestimating my strength training routine, and also, trying to eat way to lean and clean, and it wasn't working.

It seems everyone makes this mistake.

No matter how much it is repeated, people just don't believe it.
    I say this as I faffed about for months at slightly above maintainance, trying to go for a lean bulk or 'recomp' to have no difference in body shape and stalling out on my lifts.

Or they do this, which likewise doesn't work.
  • waldo56
    Options
    Gainins 2 pounds per month is optimal. Doing it like that you will gain more leans muscle mass than fat! Good job anyways!

No, that's on the slow side.

There will always be fat gain; 2 lbs/mo will lead to suboptimal muscle gain with very little improvement in muscle to fat ratio.

3-3.5 lb/mo is much more optimal. With that you'll be hitting near your peak muscle gain rate, and the fat gain will be small enough to be near invisible and easily dealt with.