What is an intense weight training session?

Options

Replies

• dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    When I have trouble pushing the door open on my way out-! (especially after I've trained chest). Or when I have to grip the bannister when I head down the stairs as my legs feel a bit jelly-like.

That's just about every session with me as im on a squat 3x week program :) Intense for me is max weight squats then ramping up to a 5 rep max deadlift straight after it makes you sweat buckets.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    to failure lifting 3 times a week?

bad news bears for gains me thinks.
  • bryannakay
    bryannakay Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    When you feel like you might fail your last set but you complete it anyway.

This. I also don't sweat much while I'm lifting, unless it's just really hot in the gym.

Same! I typically bust out as many reps as I can (noises/grunts/faces and all) but I rarely sweat much at all.

THANK YOU!! I have always wondered this!! Because when I lift I didn't always feel like I worked hard because I didn't sweat!
  • stephanieharms1290
    stephanieharms1290 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I sweat sometimes and other times not as much. I feel as if an intense session to me is finishing out the 4th set pushing through when you want to give up so bad!! Also, i have to agree. If i am not STARVING when I leave the gym, something is wrong lol
  • Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I struggle to have a shower! Haha
    Seriously though, when the muscle is sore all the way through to it's core, but that doesn't mean if you're not sore, it wasn't a good session. Just be sure to mix it up and shock your body from time to time!
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew difference between intense/ good and overtraining but confused on this
    I didn't think I was lifting intense but when my trainer moved i went through hell trying to get it set up with another trainer in gym. They said my workouts were too intense that I shold never be doing this about and I tried there method it was like a warm up and I feel gross so back to old trainers methods and he will help me monitor through conversations etc. I was doing 2 hrs strength training lower was about 75 min rest was upper and stretchng. I was doing 6-7 rounds of 5 exercises leg press, extension, curls, 2 on bosu squats and kicks for balance ( I ski competitively) then 5 exercise 2-3 rounds upper lat pull down tricep dip, pull ups rows, and over head . It has confused me what one thinks and another seems to think are different. If I go home feeling I gave it my all and hungry and somewhat fatigued thats good to me.
  • Sha1911
    Sha1911 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I sweat sometimes and other times not as much. I feel as if an intense session to me is finishing out the 4th set pushing through when you want to give up so bad!! Also, i have to agree. If i am not STARVING when I leave the gym, something is wrong lol

I agree haha
    If you're not starving by the end of the session, you didn't work out hard enough!
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    to failure lifting 3 times a week?

bad news bears for gains me thinks.

Hi JoRocka, can you elaborate on this? I'm doing a progressive full body three days a week and going to failure on the last set. I have a fourth day that is light cardio. Are you saying this isn't enough to expect gains? My strength is definitely progressing steadily, but doesn't necessarily mean muscle growth I guess.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't sweat much when lifting, but I can tell when I've had a good session when I'm shaky and I'm barely completing my last set.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I didn't sweat during lifting until I started pushing myself up in weight. Now that I push myself every lift, I leave the gym drenched. Even the air conditioned part that's in the basement away from the sunlight. No idea how other people can lift and push themselves to the max and not sweat. Although, I'm a crazy sweaty person anyway.
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    For me I push that last set to failure. Even if I can't push it up there I sit there trying and trying with my face turning purple, lol. And then for good measure more times than not, I'll rest 30 seconds drop the weight down a notch and push one more set to failure just for a bonus. I know I got a really good intense workout when I go to bed and can still feel my muscles buzzing.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew difference between intense/ good and overtraining but confused on this
    I didn't think I was lifting intense but when my trainer moved i went through hell trying to get it set up with another trainer in gym. They said my workouts were too intense that I shold never be doing this about and I tried there method it was like a warm up and I feel gross so back to old trainers methods and he will help me monitor through conversations etc. I was doing 2 hrs strength training lower was about 75 min rest was upper and stretchng. I was doing 6-7 rounds of 5 exercises leg press, extension, curls, 2 on bosu squats and kicks for balance ( I ski competitively) then 5 exercise 2-3 rounds upper lat pull down tricep dip, pull ups rows, and over head . It has confused me what one thinks and another seems to think are different. If I go home feeling I gave it my all and hungry and somewhat fatigued thats good to me.

How many times a week would you do this? Seems like a lot in one day to me, but if it's the only day you workout during the week then it isn't too much.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    When I am having to wipe the sweat off myself, the ground, and the equipment after gracing it with my presence.
    When I am holding back my vomit - typically three days a week.
    When I feel the pump in my arm - C4 helps here
    When you're done and you feel something that feels really really rewarding in your brain.
    When you're done and you can't help but stand in admiration at the image in the mirror.
    When I feel like I can be proud of my performance.
    When the callous on my hands gets bigger.
    When people in the gym are looking at me and copying the workout routine I do.
    When the huge body builders in the gym introduce themselves and compliment my work ethic.
    When the ladies wink and keep walking in front of my station trying to catch my gaze.
    When I am done working out and my arms are too beat to take off my shirt to get into the shower.
    When your walking to your car you feel like you are in a daze due to the concentration you just were putting into each rep.

edit: grammmar ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Most programs have you running between 50-80- sometimes 90% of your 1 rep max.

Training to full failure ever session taxes your CNS quiet a bit and it takes a lot more time to recover than you think. I used to do usually one big lift and trained to failure almost every workout- I made decent gains- but I stalled out after a year- and I stalled hard- I couldn't get anywhere.

After you tap a certain potential- training to failure isn't going to really get you where you want to go. This is why many programs have a deload/default statement
    "if you fail a lift- repeat the lift next week"
    "if you fail again- deload to the previous weight and go again "

If you are doing a specific vetted program and that's what they are suggesting- I'd raise my eyebrows- but shrug and say follow your program.

But at some point you won't be able to recover fast enough from that kind of load- and you won't be getting as much out of your lifts because your body won't be recovered enough. I like training to failure- but I learned a valuable lesson much to late that it just isn't as effective.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

I agree haha
    If you're not starving by the end of the session, you didn't work out hard enough!

^lmao true that - my brother and I always joke that "we got 'da hunger!"
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    When I feel like I can't do another rep, and I push with all I have to do 5 more. & I feel so proud and out of breath and want to cry because I did it when I thought I couldn't.
    or
    When I feel like (or actually do) I am going to vomit any second.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I do strength training in circut maneer 3x week and cardion only 2xweek right now
  • brittaney0625
    Options
    When I am having to wipe the sweat off myself, the ground, and the equipment after graving it with my presence.
    When you're done and you feel something that feels really really rewarding in your brain.
    When you're done and you can't help but stand in admiration at the image in the mirror.
    When the huge body builders in the gym introduce themselves and compliment my work ethic.
    When the ladies wink and keep walking in front of my station trying to catch my gaze.
    When I am done working out and my arms are too beat to take off my shirt to get into the shower.
    When your walking to your car you feel like you are in a daze due to the concentration you just were putting into each rep.

Even though I hate them, I agree about the callous.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    When I am having to wipe the sweat off myself, the ground, and the equipment after graving it with my presence.

:flowerforyou:

try non-scented lotion - personally I don't mind them, I enjoy holding ladies hands and I like when they say I have 'manly hands' X'D

another one that is a big tell is if you walk away and have a road map of veins on your chest, arms, abs, legs, feet - etc.

edit: grammmmer :sad:
  • brittaney0625
    Options

:flowerforyou:

try non-scented lotion - personally I don't mind them though I like holding ladies hands and I like when they say I have 'manly hands' XD

I starting using Satin Hands.. but I just keep getting more. Guess I am just working to hard ;)
    I am a lady and would rather not have "manly hands" LOL