eating 3500- 5000 calories per day, fat or retention?

Options
anorexia recovery eating between 3500 and 5000 cals?I have been in recovery for 2 weeks, I weighed myself two weeks ago and I weighed in at 93lbs but I haven't weighed myself recently. I am 5'6 and a 21 yr old female. My doctor advised me to eat even 6000 if I can so I have been eating between 3500 and 5000. I see flub on my stomach and arms and legs, would this be water retention or actual fat? Also I drink at least 15 bottles of fluids a day because I'm always thirsty. I see fat building on my body but I don't know if that is actual fat or water retention? If I can gain that quickly in 2 weeks?

Replies

• ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you're drinking a lot of water, you shouldn't be retaining it unless your sodium intake is WAAAAAAAY high.
    I do commend you on getting help and recovering :) good luck! I sincerely hope you push through and become a healthier and better you.

Best of luck!
  • neversummer7
    Options
    If you're drinking a lot of water, you shouldn't be retaining it unless your sodium intake is WAAAAAAAY high.
    I do commend you on getting help and recovering :) good luck! I sincerely hope you push through and become a healthier and better you.

Best of luck!
    Thank you so much! Is it possible to gain noticeable fat over a week time?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    In your case...prolly not.
  • Itskaleena
    Itskaleena Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    As someone recovering from an ed my self I can tell you it probably is not actual fat build up. It is most likely just water weight and the eating disorder telling you it's fat. Remember you are suppose to be gaining and once you are at a healthier weight talk to your doctor about adding in weight training 1-2 times a week.

I've been there so I know how you feel. If you need support feel free to add me:) Just send a message with it .ha

Good luck hun<3
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options

Best of luck!
    Thank you so much! Is it possible to gain noticeable fat over a week time?

It really isn't possible to gain noticeable fat in a week. Definitely some water retention. Great job getting help and working on your recovery!
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I ain't a doctor....so follow your doctors orders.

I just think to be anorexic.....you are taking in very limited calories....
    And you lose a lot of weight, so your metabolism has to be very low at this point....

And then turning that around to hit between 3500 - 6000 calories....:huh: :huh: :huh:
    makes me wonder
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Do your best to eat nutrient dense food so you'll have all the fuel your body needs to gain muscle.
    (you might have a little body dysmorphia going on, so your perception might be skewed.
    It's probably best to trust your doctor's opinions and perceptions over your own for a little while to come.)

Good luck stay strong.

It's the long haul that is important. It's not the first one to the finish line that wins. It's the one who can be the healthiest the longest. YOLO.... you only get one body, no trade-ins. I want it to feel good, so I can go out and have fun for as long as I can.

Personally, I want to be capable and dance and run and swim and kayak and climb trees and backpack and throw my niece and nephews in the air. I don't want my body to stop me from living my life.
  • Annesoucy1957
    Options
    congratulation for getting healthier.
  • ForeverSunshine23
    Options
    One pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories so if your eating this daily then yes it's possible. Try doing some strength training exercises build some lean muscle and prevent excess body fat
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I know very little about anorexia ( apart from the info imparted by some documentaries on TV) and wonder if it is normal to go from very little ( like 500-600 calories ) each day to 6000 ?
    Even the 3000-5000 the OP mentions sound unusual to me....but again, I have nothing to base my thoughts on other than it being 5-10 times the calories from basically one day to the next and I wonder how a body reacts to that. I am not trying to challenge the OP, am just genuinely curious....
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I know very little about anorexia ( apart from the info imparted by some documentaries on TV) and wonder if it is normal to go from very little ( like 500-600 calories ) each day to 6000 ?
    Even the 3000-5000 the OP mentions sound unusual to me....but again, I have nothing to base my thoughts on other than it being 5-10 times the calories from basically one day to the next and I wonder how a body reacts to that. I am not trying to challenge the OP, am just genuinely curious....

There is a website called eatopia. There is a lot of information on there about why what this girl is doing is the best for her recovery. Basically the body needs all the calories it can get to repair the damage cause from the disorder .

OP- good luck :drinker:
  • meluhneekay
    Options

I don't know how much OP was restricting, but hopefully her doctor has gradually increase her calories. SUPER gradually. Refeeding syndrome is a thing and it's super dangerous.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY doubt you have "flub" anywhere at your height and weight..
  • neversummer7
    Options

I don't know how much OP was restricting, but hopefully her doctor has gradually increase her calories. SUPER gradually. Refeeding syndrome is a thing and it's super dangerous.
    What is refeeding syndrome exactly?
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

I was curious also, so I Googled it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/
  • meluhneekay
    Options

I was curious also, so I Googled it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2440847/

^^^ Yep. OP, if you aren't seeing a doc who specializes in ED's, I highly recommend trying to find one.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    anorexia recovery eating between 3500 and 5000 cals?I have been in recovery for 2 weeks, I weighed myself two weeks ago and I weighed in at 93lbs but I haven't weighed myself recently. I am 5'6 and a 21 yr old female. My doctor advised me to eat even 6000 if I can so I have been eating between 3500 and 5000. I see flub on my stomach and arms and legs, would this be water retention or actual fat? Also I drink at least 15 bottles of fluids a day because I'm always thirsty. I see fat building on my body but I don't know if that is actual fat or water retention? If I can gain that quickly in 2 weeks?

Congratulations on taking the steps to get well! I hope you continue to do well in your recovery. :flowerforyou: Just keep in mind that what you see in the mirror is probably not a reflection of reality. There probably is no actual "flub" especially this soon. However, keep in mind as well that part of recovery is to add some "flub." Right now you appear almost skeletal. A healthy body has some padding and some muscle. It will probably be a while before you're fit enough to concentrate on building up muscle, and you should let your doc help you decide when that time comes.
  • neversummer7
    Options
    It feels that I have gained a lot from just a couple of weeks into recovery and I feel as if I already am building layers of fat but I was told my body could just be swelling which I don't know if that is possible lol
  • starcollapsing
    starcollapsing Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    If your intake has been at this level for a couple of weeks already then there is no need to worry about refeeding syndrome.
    It is completely normal to need 5000 or more calories a day in recovery (this is due to hypermetabolism) and yes, in the first few weeks you will retain a LOT of water as your body stores it to start repairing the cellular damage.
    Don't worry about 'flub'. You will need to gain both fat and muscle and it is best to think about it as little as possible and concentrate on rebuilding your life.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If your intake has been at this level for a couple of weeks already then there is no need to worry about refeeding syndrome.
    It is completely normal to need 5000 or more calories a day in recovery (this is due to hypermetabolism) and yes, in the first few weeks you will retain a LOT of water as your body stores it to start repairing the cellular damage.
    Don't worry about 'flub'. You will need to gain both fat and muscle and it is best to think about it as little as possible and concentrate on rebuilding your life.

+1!! And kudos to you for choosing to be healthy again :) That's awesome!

You have so many things to look forward to. You only get ONE life, live it, don't just simply exist. There is so much good to be excited about, so try to focus on positive aspects & the people in your life rather than your body and being "perfect" - there's no such thing. I struggled with this several years ago while I was in college and some good resources are youreatopia.com and the blog thef u c k itdiet.com/blog (just remove the spaces...MFP will not let me post a curse word, ha!)

Best of luck and don't let the fear of weight gain deter you from a fulfilling life.