5'2" and 22 lbs lost - I'm an MFP Lifer now!

Options
Xena067
Xena067 Posts: 28 Member
I'm 5' 2", will turn 47 years old in August, and have 4 sons.

I have gained and lost weight more than once in my lifetime - including losing more than 50 lbs when my 3rd child was 3 years old - but since discovering MyFitnessPal (MFP), I know my weight will never yo-yo again.

My 'before' image is significant because that's the day I decided enough was enough. My weight had slowly crept up over 3 years and I was wearing a dress that should have been loose and drapey, but instead it was tight and clingy. I was attending a conference and had forgotten to bring the big wrap sweater I had been using for months to cover up my weight gain. I felt bloated, uncomfortable, and fed up.

A couple of weeks later in early December 2013, a family member recommended MFP to me. I downloaded it to my iPhone and started using it, along with the MFP website where I found the "Success Stories" were an inspiration to me. (Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to share their before, during and after images and personal stories on the Success Stories Message Board!)

After years of steadily gaining weight and blaming my age, gender, height, metabolism, hypothyroidism, back injury, blah blah blah -- lo and behold I lost a pound in my first week on MFP and realized none of those excuses were to blame. It turned out I was simply eating too much. My meal portions were acceptable but my daily snacking - especially at work - was out of control.

I set a goal to lose 22 lbs and steadily lost one pound per week every week for 20 weeks straight.

Watching my Progress graph drop down, down, down week after week was a huge motivator for me. Sure there were daily fluctuations and sometimes even spikes, but thanks to MFP, I didn't panic or get discouraged because I knew I was sticking to my daily calorie limit and trusted the graph would drop back down, and it always did.

The last 2 lbs took a little longer to come off, but I reached my goal of losing 22 lbs in 6 months. Now all my clothes fit comfortably and I no longer hide under big sweaters.

I am grateful to MFP for many reasons, but there's one breakthrough in particular I'd like to share:

My husband and I enjoy travelling with our kids. Before MFP, every trip would result in a 5 lb + weight gain for me.

Now when we travel, I take MFP with me and the result is weight maintenance - or sometimes even a loss!

MFP raises my awareness of how many calories are in my favourite foods, and helps me be accountable to myself. It also motivates me to focus on my fitness, especially on days when I want to earn a few more calories for a special night out at a restaurant or a piece of birthday cake.

No food is off-limits for me on MFP, but now I make better choices, and occasionally I plan ahead to ensure I stay within my daily calorie limit.

MFP works if you work at it, and if you are 100% honest with yourself 100% of the time. When it comes to weight loss, there are no quick fixes (at least, none that result in permanent change!), but even if progress is slow on MFP and you only lose 1/2 lb per week, a year from now you'll weigh 26 lbs less than you do today!

I'd like to thanks the creators of the MFP app and website for an *easy* way to manage my weight - as well as to the social media managers on the MFP Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest channels for all the excellent health and fitness information and daily inspiration.

I plan to stay on MFP for life.

ScreenShot2014-07-28at121448PM_zpsb1545ef3.png

Replies

• student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! You look fabulous (and younger, too).
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What a great transformation! You look amazing!
  • lauracholt
    lauracholt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You're an inspiration Auntie Lisa!! Love you! xoxo
  • nowolga
    nowolga Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I started MFP 28 days ago and I am loving it!! I guess that makes me a lifer too! I've lost 11 lbs so far, looking forward to loosing more.. and even better. Keeping it off :)

Congrats to you and thank you so much for sharing your story!!
  • Xena067
    Options
    Congrats on the loss! You look fabulous (and younger, too).

Thank you! That's the first time I've heard the "you look younger" compliment and I like it, I really like it!

I read your Profile - you and I have very similar goals, and I love ziplining too.

Keep up the great work :)
  • Xena067
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement, @sashafischang!

Like you, a couple of my goals were to wear a swimsuit and not be embarrassed and wear shorts and not be embarrassed.

Truth be told, I'm still a little embarrassed... stretch marks and cellulite don't disappear with weight loss ;) ... but even so, I feel a lot better about myself, not to mention stronger and more energetic :)
  • Xena067
    Options
    I started MFP 28 days ago and I am loving it!! I guess that makes me a lifer too! I've lost 11 lbs so far, looking forward to loosing more.. and even better. Keeping it off :)

Congrats to you and thank you so much for sharing your story!!

YOU CAN DO THIS, @Nowolga!

Slow and steady wins the race. Stay focused - don't become discouraged by minor fluctuations. Be 100% honest with yourself 100% of the time.

And "not fearing the camera" is a great goal!
  • rashidat_e_
    rashidat_e_ Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Great Job, You look amazing!
  • Xena067
    Options
    You're an inspiration Auntie Lisa!! Love you! xoxo

It's all thanks to the "family member" who recommended MFP to me, @lauraclake ;)
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well done :flowerforyou: you look great xx
  • Xena067
    Options
    Well done :flowerforyou: you look great xx

Thank you, @tiggsnanny!
  • Xena067
    Options
    Great Job, You look amazing!

Thanks, @rashidat_e_ ... two of your inspirations were mine too: wanting to feel comfortable in my own skin, and wanting to fit back in to all my clothes - and I do now!
  • Xena067
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Scroll up to see my original post from July 28, 2014.

UPDATE:

On October 4, 2014, after 308 days on MFP, I reached my final weight loss goal: -30 lbs.

Next up: maintenance on MFP for life! 319 day streak and counting...

Thank you, MyFitnessPal.

Here are some updated before/after shots:

1dg3rwogr2nm.jpg

go7kjh51y631.jpg
  • cakebatter07
    cakebatter07 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Xena067 wrote: »
    UPDATE:

On October 4, 2014, after 308 days on MFP, I reached my final weight loss goal: 30 lbs.

Next up: maintenance on MFP for life! 319 day streak and counting...

Thank you, MyFitnessPal.

Here are some updated before/after shots:

1dg3rwogr2nm.jpg

go7kjh51y631.jpg

Wow, what a huge change in the face! You look wonderful! :smiley:
  • mikostywr
    mikostywr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    you go girl! :D
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I keep blaming my moods, the weather, feeling tired for not losing my last 15lbs. but I know better. Thanks for motivating me and knowing that I can do lose those last few pounds.
  • conklil
    conklil Posts: 81 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Congrats!! You look great. I too tried to blame my hypothyroidism but funny when you put your mind to it, the weight comes off.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Great job, nice to hear that it does come off even if slowly and not to get discouraged!
    I have 20 lbs to loose and was hoping for a 2 lb a week loss but it is more like 1/2-1 lb.
    MFP is so great for all the motivation ...and I love the success stories! Thanks for posting!
    You look great!!
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    WOW. The difference in your face is incredible.
  • sabreena12
    Options
    Wow ,your story is truly motivating for me.I am at the moment trying to lose the same amount of weight that you have lost.My height is 5'3 .I have recently joined MFP and want to see results.I get soooooo discouraged when i weigh my self and there has been no change.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!