New here/advice for hitting my carb macro

Options
Hey y'all, first post here, I've used the iPhone app but never really realized that there was a message board system. I'm 6'1, 172 lbs, not in horrible shape(fast metabolism), but not as good as I could be. Anyways, I've started lifting again after being a lazy *kitten* for a few years. I was pretty athletic growing up and worked out a bit but got lazy after high school. I'm currently on Phrakture's Greyskull LP variant, starting off kind of easy to make sure my form is correct and all that jazz.

Anyways, I talked to a personal trainer on another site and he recommended that I need to be eating around 350 grams of carbs on lift days, 200 grams on rest days. I easily hit my daily 2800 calories, and I'm spot on with my fat and protein macros, however I'm struggling with the carbs. I can only eat around 200 or so grams, and I feel stuffed to the brim after that. Are there any high carb/not too filling foods, or maybe supplements I could use?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    There are foods I am sure that could help (eat sugary candy), but honestly, I don't see why you would need to up your carbs. Protein and Fat are the most important macros.
  • surferdave628
    Options
    Yeah I was kinda confused by that as well. Apparently if you don't have enough carbs in your diet, you can burn muscle in addition to fat or something along those lines. I'm pretty new to the whole nutrition side of this. I'm only about 18% body fat right now, and I'm trying to do a pretty lean bulk, probably upping my daily calories every few months depending on how I'm progressing.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all, first post here, I've used the iPhone app but never really realized that there was a message board system. I'm 6'1, 172 lbs, not in horrible shape(fast metabolism), but not as good as I could be. Anyways, I've started lifting again after being a lazy *kitten* for a few years. I was pretty athletic growing up and worked out a bit but got lazy after high school. I'm currently on Phrakture's Greyskull LP variant, starting off kind of easy to make sure my form is correct and all that jazz.

Anyways, I talked to a personal trainer on another site and he recommended that I need to be eating around 350 grams of carbs on lift days, 200 grams on rest days. I easily hit my daily 2800 calories, and I'm spot on with my fat and protein macros, however I'm struggling with the carbs. I can only eat around 200 or so grams, and I feel stuffed to the brim after that. Are there any high carb/not too filling foods, or maybe supplements I could use?

Similar stats to mine....
    Feel free to look over my diary if you like.

But my go to's
    White rice
    potato
    sweet potato
    skim milk
    gummie bears
    carb powder
    cinnamon toast crunch cereal

for a few things..
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Yeah I was kinda confused by that as well. Apparently if you don't have enough carbs in your diet, you can burn muscle in addition to fat or something along those lines. I'm pretty new to the whole nutrition side of this. I'm only about 18% body fat right now, and I'm trying to do a pretty lean bulk, probably upping my daily calories every few months depending on how I'm progressing.

I will have to defer to some others on here that have a ton more knowledge. I would think 800 cals of carbs would be "enough", but like I said, someone else will know better. Good luck to you.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    There are foods I am sure that could help (eat sugary candy), but honestly, I don't see why you would need to up your carbs. Protein and Fat are the most important macros.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :noway: :noway: :noway:

Really, serious on that??
  • Hornsby
    Options

Serious on what? That I don't know why he would need to up his carbs? Or that Protein and Fat are the most important macros?
  • MityMax96
    Options

Serious on what? That I don't know why he would need to up his carbs? Or that Protein and Fat are the most important macros?

On both really....

He said he is gonna lift again
    So I assume his desire is to start putting on muscle.....

Carbs are very muscle friendly....
    And promote anti catabolism

But hey, to each their own....
    Not going to get into a pissing contest over carbs with you....

To OP, do as you like in the world of carbs, my opinion/advice stands, and works pretty well for me.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I will leave this email I had with Alan Aragon...regarding carbs.
    Hey Alan,
    Read your AARR that came out for May.

Question on the High Protein write up….
    In it you noted how the increased protein intake didn’t increase BF all that much…due to Thermic Effect.

I am wondering, if someone were looking to bulk and put on mass, while minimizing BF increase.
    Would this be a viable option??
    Or are carbs still the better option when trying to increase muscle mass…along with a calories surplus?

Thanks
    Seth

Alan's response
    Carbs will be the best thing to raise - assuming protein was already high (which it should be).

And one other thing, regarding Alan, he always view diet in proper context...meaning the whole picture....
    so he is assuming a complete diet....and his answer is based on that context
  • Hornsby
    Options

On both really....

To OP, do as you like in the world of carbs, my opinion/advice stands, and works pretty well for me.

I eat 300 grams a day of carbs. I have nothing against them. I clearly said that I didn't really know why he would need more than 200 grams. I didn't say he didn't. If there is a reason, I would love to hear it as I am on this board to learn.
  • surferdave628
    Options

But my go to's
    White rice
    potato
    sweet potato
    skim milk
    gummie bears
    carb powder

for a few things..

Right on, yeah I'll take a look at your diary for sure. Would it be better in the long run to get the majority of my carbs from food, or would the powder suffice?
  • MityMax96
    Options

On both really....

I eat 300 grams a day of carbs. I have nothing against them. I clearly said that I didn't really know why he would need more than 200 grams. I didn't say he didn't. If there is a reason, I would love to hear it as I am on this board to learn.

He is 25,
    he has a quick metabolism as he said himself.
    he is looking to lift.

He will deplete glycogen stores over time from his exercise.....
    Trust me, it is possible.
    Especially if he is carb cycling.

His glycogen stores are north of 1100 gr.....
    Assuming he is doing a decent weight lifting routine, and going heavy.....
    He will burn stores over time....especially if he were to drop to 200 gr.

I myself can speak to experience with this......
    I can also post pics.

So while i was extremely "ripped" and "shredded" I was depleted.
    A carb refeed made a HUGE difference in filling out my muscles and making me look more "full"

So as I said to the OP....
    Do as you like in the realm of carbs.....and you can have a refund on my advice if you don't like.

But while carbs are not "essential".....they do have their role.
  • MityMax96
    Options

But my go to's
    White rice
    potato
    sweet potato
    skim milk
    gummie bears
    carb powder

for a few things..

Right on, yeah I'll take a look at your diary for sure. Would it be better in the long run to get the majority of my carbs from food, or would the powder suffice?

Always go foods.
    I do carb powder in my protein shakes when I am just trying to round out my calories/macros for the night.

But if you can, ALWAYS opt for foods

Fruits and veggies are good, but are inferior carb sources....so go with bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, candy (sweet tarts/gummie bears)
  • artkc
    artkc Posts: 1
    Options
    Here is one thing to consider. You've been placed in an impossible situation if you want to maintain your macro ratios. As you increase carbs, that macro % goes up, but the others must show a net decrease to keep the ratio at 100%. Obviously you do not want to decrease protein on lift days and fat is not an issue. Forget the macros on lift days. Protein on the other hand from natural sources has bulk. One solution perhaps would be to get your protein strictly from the protein mix I'm assuming you use on lift days. Less bulk, less full.
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    If you're hitting your targets for calories, protein, and fat, one of those is going to break if you add more carbs. You're either going to have to cut back on protein or fat (which will leave you with more room for carbs), or raise your calories (which doesn't solve the too full problem, admittedly), or both.

I find that calories drink easier than they eat, so my first suggestion would be a watery juice like apple or orange or grape (as opposed to one of the blends with banana or added protein or fiber).
  • surferdave628
    Options

Always go foods.
    I do carb powder in my protein shakes when I am just trying to round out my calories/macros for the night.

Fruits and veggies are good, but are inferior carb sources....so go with bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, candy (sweet tarts/gummie bears)

Thanks for the tips. Not a huge fan of sweets but I'll work some more rice and pasta into my meals for sure.
  • surferdave628
    Options
    Here is one thing to consider. You've been placed in an impossible situation if you want to maintain your macro ratios. As you increase carbs, that macro % goes up, but the others must show a net decrease to keep the ratio at 100%. Obviously you do not want to decrease protein on lift days and fat is not an issue. Forget the macros on lift days. Protein on the other hand from natural sources has bulk. One solution perhaps would be to get your protein strictly from the protein mix I'm assuming you use on lift days. Less bulk, less full.

If you're hitting your targets for calories, protein, and fat, one of those is going to break if you add more carbs. You're either going to have to cut back on protein or fat (which will leave you with more room for carbs), or raise your calories (which doesn't solve the too full problem, admittedly), or both.

I find that calories drink easier than they eat, so my first suggestion would be a watery juice like apple or orange or grape (as opposed to one of the blends with banana or added protein or fiber).

Yeah my macros might not be perfect on lift days, though I do cut the carbs back to 200g on rest days so I could eat more protein and fats on those days.

What I've been recommended is:

Lift Days:
    2800 Calories
    Protein 175g
    Carbs 350g
    Fats 80g

Rest Days:
    2800 Calories (a bit less is fine)
    Protein 175g
    Carbs 200g
    Fats 80g
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    My advice is eat your carbs in healthy foods, like complex carbs and up your protein a bit on your heavy weight day.
  • MityMax96
    Options

Yeah my macros might not be perfect on lift days, though I do cut the carbs back to 200g on rest days so I could eat more protein and fats on those days.

What I've been recommended is:

Lift Days:
    2800 Calories
    Protein 175g
    Carbs 350g
    Fats 80g

Rest Days:
    2800 Calories (a bit less is fine)
    Protein 175g
    Carbs 200g
    Fats 80g

I personally don't bother with %'s
    I eat to my caloric and macro goals
  • MityMax96
    Options
    My advice is eat your carbs in healthy foods, like complex carbs and up your protein a bit on your heavy weight day.

If he is in a caloric surplus, then more protein is not really gonna be needed.
    He can do fine at 0.8 gr / pound of body weight.

Carbs will be the better benefit.....
    especially post workout
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Always go foods.

Thanks for the tips. Not a huge fan of sweets but I'll work some more rice and pasta into my meals for sure.

eat more of what you like- if you're not big on sweets- don't eat sweets- I like ice cream and oreos- but I was eating a lot of sweet potatoes while bulking as well.

Ultimately you can nail your percentages and ratios for macros and never gain a thing if you aren't getting up over into a calorie surplus.

Have a balanced diet- but calories are king- they trump macro splits when it comes to bulking- you'll get no where without being in a surplus.