New here/advice for hitting my carb macro

Options
2»

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with upping his carbs if he's getting sufficient protein and fat, but you're overexaggerating a bit when it comes to depletion. He's not going to get depleted when just getting back into a lifting program with 200g of carbs on rest days and 300g on lifting days. If you look at what's required for true depletion on a carb cyling diet, it's way more drastic than alternating between 200g and 300g of carbs - we're talking ketogenic levels of low carb throughout the week and then a single weekly or even bi-weekly refeed day. And even that is not going to give you true depletion without sufficiently intense training. He's not even close to depletion with 200-300g of carbs every day of the week.

And honestly, if he prefers to get by on 200g of carbs, any difference in terms of health/results between creating his surplus from 100g of extra carbs vs. a combination of fat and protein is going to be trivial at best.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with upping his carbs if he's getting sufficient protein and fat, but you're overexaggerating a bit when it comes to depletion. He's not going to get depleted when just getting back into a lifting program with 200g of carbs on rest days and 300g on lifting days. If you look at what's required for true depletion on a carb cyling diet, it's way more drastic than alternating between 200g and 300g of carbs - we're talking ketogenic levels of low carb throughout the week and then a single weekly or even bi-weekly refeed day. And even that is not going to give you true depletion without sufficiently intense training. He's not even close to depletion with 200-300g of carbs every day of the week.

And honestly, if he prefers to get by on 200g of carbs, any difference in terms of health/results between creating his surplus from 100g of extra carbs vs. a combination of fat and protein is going to be trivial at best.

Fair enough....
    I will respectfully disagree....

But I coming at it from a view of my style of working out....
    So you will most likely be correct.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I will say you are prolly right, assuming that 2800 calories is at least maintenance or a surplus for him.....
    But I thought 2800 was maintenance was for me....and boy I am finding out I was pretty wrong.
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Coconut water!!! I drink a liter sometimes after lifting. Also dairy can be pretty car by, the carbs are in the whey so yogurt kefir and milk are higher carb than cheese and butter which are full of wonderful fat. Also fruit smoothies with bananas and mango will get you to 200g no problem. Interested to see if 2800 will be enough for you...I would guess it may be low? But a good place to start. I found when I first started tracking that I really had to be intentional about getting enough carbs...now its no problem!
  • drepublic
    drepublic Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I slam the carbs post workout...usually in the form of white rice with honey along with the rest of my meal. You could also look into carbohydrate powders. Look into Sweet Potatoes as well.