NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
I'm going to whine just for a moment...I have a mudrun in 2 days, leave for my cruise in 6 days and now I have a flippin' sinus infection!:angry:

It's now gone through my entire family and since I'm mom, I never get sick because well...moms just can't and don't. Well, this morning I woke up feeling like I got hit by a semi truck. :noway:

What should I do now? Napping is out of the question because I'm home with a very active 4 year old boy all day. Hubby is working an hour away so he can't come home to watch him, either. Any good meds I can pick up that anyone would recommend?

I can't be sick for my mud run!:mad: :angry: :explode: :grumble: :noway: :sad:

I need someone to take care of me! I want to lie in bed all day and eat soup and drink juice. Waaaaaaaaa!

Ok, whine session is over. Carry on.

Replies

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I always seem to get one right around thanksgiving-christmas season. If you don't have one already, I would recommend a neti pot. It will give you a fighting chance to keep the sinuses clear enough to start drying out.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    If it's an actual infection get some antibiotics and start those and pop some Mucinex. Then make sure all the doors are locked and there are no accessible sharp objects in reach, park junior in front of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and lay down behind him on the couch and take a nap.

ETA: Good luck on your mud run.
  • in4nomz
    in4nomz Posts: 230
    Options
    I hate pushing medication but Sudafed works wonders. I've only had one sinus infection and it hurt like HELL. It kept me from the gym for a while because lifting made me feel horrible. Started taking Sudafed (or Sudaphed?) and it helped the pain/compression sooooo much.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! Going to the drugstore today to get some meds. If it's not better by Monday then it's doctor time for me!
  • mommyrunning
    mommyrunning Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here are some tips:

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinusitis?page=2

The 2 I've found most effective are drink lots of fluid to keep the mucus thin and use nasal saline spray to keep flushing it. Hope you feel better.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I got chronik sinusitis... which is well annoying but I got some tips that help:

get a netty pot! bit yuck when you first do it, but it helps!!

Also get some menthol crystals and inhale the crap out of it. Just be careful where you leave em so the little one can't get to them, they are poisonous if eaten.

a warm wet cloth on the sinuses can also help the draining.

And of course massaging the sinuses! This one is a good tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUybXWn378M

But yeah, if it's a proper infection you will need antibiotics. Good luck though :flowerforyou:
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    ttt
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Saline for the nose
    It'll mostly be gone by the time the cruise gets here
    Here, have some chicken soup.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    You probably need to go see the witch doctor.

"ooo ee oo ah ah ting tang walla walla bing bang"
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I use an immune boosting supplement called "Kick *kitten* Immune". I don't know if it's available where you live but it's excellent. I'm not really a big believer in "natural remedies", but this stuff actually works.

In the interest of full disclosure: it takes like mushrooms and burnt licorice. Chase it with some OJ. Still completely worth it.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Honestly, if it's a real infection - go to the doctor for antibiotics (and don't wait until Monday or you won't feel better by the time you head for your cruise!). Especially since you have a cruise coming up! After about 5 days, you really should be feeling better. Antibiotics for 7 - 10 days (some while traveling) is not the end of the world. I know you could suffer through it and wait for it to clear on it's own.. but this is a special case.

ETA: Oh and for nasal sprays, get a script for that too. I've had doctors tell me they strongly do not recommend over the counter ones. The script ones have less addictive properties. Also, you might find you can actually breathe better while you're running so the mud run might not be too bad of a problem.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    That sucks! I hope you get better fast. I know all about the impossibility of resting while taking care of a 4YO boy. (My boys are 5 and 3 1/2).

My best remedies are Claritin D (not the stuff on the shelf, the kind you have to get from the pharmacist and sign a waiver swearing you're not using it to make meth) and Nasalcort (an allergy nose spray now available OTC). Yes, these are allergy meds but they work very well for sinus issues.

Hope you get better quickly!
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Neti pot, absolutely!! 'Advil Cold and Flu' (The red box NOT the green one for flu, it's ****e) - works great but won't leave you stoned like Sudafed, and drink 'Traditional Medicinals' teas (I rotate between the Echinacea, Throat Coat, and Breath Easy blends when I get sick. Not just one cup... plenty!! Fix you up in no time. Get plenty of rest, and have hot showers, or baths, multiple times a day if possible. The teas can be purchased at London Drugs this is what they look like: http://ca.traditionalmedicinals.com/products/

If I do this, I'm never sick for longer than 2 days.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    That's what she said.....then suddenly when I started to walk away it was

YES YES YES YES YES....women. :grumble:
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Get a netti pot! those things are amazing, and it's not drugs
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Ask the pharmacist they always are willing to help, tell them what you have coming up and they will give you the best product advice.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Neti Pot and antibiotics.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For sure a neti pot, but make sure you use bottled water, you don't want anything eating your brain, you're doing a mud run not a zombie run.