Uncooked Pasta to Cooked Pasta

Options
Okay I'm kind of reaching out here and hoping that someone will 'happen' to know the answer to this.

For whole wheat pasta the label on the box says 85 grams is 1 serving. Does anyone happen to know how much it weighs when it is cooked?

When I make dinner I make more than just 1 portion because my boyfriend needs to eat it too but I don't know how much it weighs after. I COULD just cook my portion separate but before I put in the effort I thought I'd ask. You guys are always awesome for stuff like this :)

Replies

• rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    not sure about the 85g, but a typical pasta portion is 2oz which usually cook up to about 1 cup.
    so is 85g is 2oz then your cooked portion is 1 cup.
  • DyannAlvarez
    DyannAlvarez Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump...
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    From what I hear and have experimented with, pasta about doubles in weight as it cooks.
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    What I did was I cooked my pasta portion separate the first time and wrote down how many cups it cooked up. That way I could cook my family pasta in one pot instead of 2!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Yea from what I understand things like pasta and rice double in weight after cooking due to water absorption.

So 1 serving would be 170 grams for you. That sounds a bit high though so I don't know. In the states 1 serving is 2 ounces (57 grams) of dry pasta or 1/8th of a 1 pound box. 1 ounce = 28.5 grams

So 1 serving of cooked pasta in the US should weigh approx. 4 ounces or 114 grams.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I always weigh it after it's cooked and eat that. So if it's says 85g, I will have that 85g cooked....I thought that's what they meant. Am I meant to weigh it uncooked? Whoops. :blushing:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The calories are for dry weight. The water adds nothing to the count. The good news is that if you are weighing it cooked, you are saving yourself a ton of calories :O)
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    a serving of pasta is 2 oz dry, or 1/4 cup dry which equals about 3/4 cup cooked (it does vary depending on variety of pasta).

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-whole-wheat-pasta-ft23750
  • daisy89
    daisy89 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The calories are for dry weight. The water adds nothing to the count. The good news is that if you are weighing it cooked, you are saving yourself a ton of calories :O)

I believe this to be correct also. The pasta only doubles in size because it has absorbed water, and water is negligible in calories.
    The only way to add more calories would be to add salt or herbs to the water you're cooking with. I never do, so I just measure the pasta dry.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Well, so ever since I've been logging food here I was under calories...well, it's kind of nice, especially on my "over" days, but it's also good to know that I'm a numpty, lol. Thank you for making that clear for me. :laugh:
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    You made me google numpty!
  • Crissena
    Crissena Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    2 ounces of dry pasta is 5 ounces of cooked pasta. I just found that on a pasta manufacturers website ;) i know I'm kinda late on the conversation ladies but I was needing to know this tonight at spaghetti night at our house :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    If you make two dry-weighed out servings, just weigh the end product, divide by two and serve each serving. It doesn't matter if 85g becomes 170, 165 or 190 after its cooked. If the final weight of the two cooked portions equals 340g, then portion 170g into each bowl, if it equals 324, then you'd put 162 in each bowl.

And if you make, say, two servings for the significant other, then divide the final weight by thirds, take one-third for yourself and the rest goes to him. You'll rarely get the exact same weight measurement of a cooked product since it all depends on just how much water I happened to absorb during that cooking time. Go two minutes longer one night and it'll be heavier than when it cooked less because it will have absorbed more water. But if you know how many servings it was initially, just divide whatever the final weight is by that and you're golden.

I do this all the time for my hubby and I. As long as I weigh everything equally when I'm prepping the recipe I know to just take the grand total and divide it at the end.
  • snafu0542
    snafu0542 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    thanks to every one who took the time to post your results' i am 70 yrs old and sometimes i get confused . but it looks like you young people do also ... hahahahah Tk's again .....snafu
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Now I have a question. Why are wanting to know the cooked weight, because the added weight is due to the water? Just weigh the whole dry portion to count the total calories in the batch and figure the rough percentage of the batch that you eat by volume measurment (all the pasta will swell uniform).
  • missindepndnt86
    missindepndnt86 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've gotta put my two cents in... why in the world are these measured dry, anyway? Who the heck eats dry pasta?! Makes it very hard for a family like mine where there's 4 of us... 1 adult counting calories, 1 adult who loves to eat, eat, eat, 1 child who's a juvenile diabetic so we're counting carbs, and 1 child who just eats whatever.... Ugh. :grumble:
  • skygram
    skygram Posts: 1
    Options
    1 cup of cooked spegetti isn't much but I know thats a servig
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump.

I'm going with 2oz dry = 5oz cooked. Seems to be the general consensus everywhere google has taken me.....
  • roland5599
    Options
    I needed to know this because I cooked a big batch of a pasta dish and did not think to weigh the finished product before i served it up for the first time. So now I have quite a bit less but I'm not sure exactly how much less. I need to back into the problem. Here is what I cooked:

Beef - 20 oz total weight
    cal: 1200 total
    Rontini Wheat rotini pasta - 13.75 oz (1 box) uncooked
    cal: 1260 total
    Sauce - 24 oz (1 jar)
    cal: 350 total

The whole recipe therefore has 1200 + 1260 + 350 = 2810 calories and an uncooked weight of 57.75 oz which means 2810 / 57.75 = 48.66 calories per uncooked ounce. So the question is, how many calories per COOKED ounce?? In my estimation, there are two unknown factors that need to be identified: how much weight did the pasta gain during cooking and how much weight did the beef LOSE during cooking?

In my initial stab at this, I assumed a 1.75x increase in weight in pasta and ignored the weight lost by the beef since this would err on the side of higher calories. The result of this was that the weight per cooked ounce of the meal was 42 calories. This seems to make sense since the pasta is second highest food in calorie density (beef being #1 by a lot) so that as the pasta increases in weight (but the calories remain the same) the total amount of calories per 1 ounce now decrease: from 48.66 to 42.