Uncooked Pasta to Cooked Pasta

Options

Replies

• pattigmcb
    Options
    If I remember to weigh the pasta after it is cooked and before I add anything else to it, I add the difference in water to my recipe that I am calculating the calories for. Then when I weigh my portion, I am actually getting all that I am allotted.
  • maryluck3
    maryluck3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to the Barilla website that is very thorough with dry to cooked conversions (cup-per-two-ounce serving, and cups-per-package). Very generally, a 2-ounce serving is about 1 cup cooked. It does vary with the pasta type.

http://www.barilla.com/faq?p=measuring
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I have weighed out 85g dry then weighed the pasta again when cooked,, several times now to be sure. My final result is always about 210g for al dente, slightly firm pasta. I hope that helps ;)
  • littlerjh
    littlerjh Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Karonna12
    Options
    Barilla website has a great guide online. It basically says 2oz. dry is a normal portion size which equals 1 cup cooked. Depends on the shape of pasta but they have a chart that list it.
  • justinbarrow
    Options
    Pasta is new to me and we do 150g for the two of us which is 75g each. I find the pasta expands and I get full from it quick.
  • sherrymaths
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Barilla website has a great guide online. It basically says 2oz. dry is a normal portion size which equals 1 cup cooked. Depends on the shape of pasta but they have a chart that list it.

It's what I do because I don't want to bother weighing everything three times... but I cook for 4.

For 2 I'd probably just weigh 4oz, cook them, then split everything in two or something.
  • jlgreen23
    Options
    Oh my god you are me!! One adult counting calories, one adult who loves to eat, one teenager who is a bottomless pit and one type 1 diabetic (aged 10) who needs to could carbs
  • DebNG
    DebNG Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you--I appreciate your scientific approach (really!). :happy:
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just come across this trying to google it! To all the people who said: 'Why bother, just use the dry weight because water has no calories' - the confusion arises because some packets only list the calories for the pasta once it's cooked. So the Sainsbury's Linguine I have in front of me says 'Typical values per 100g (cooked as per instructions)'. There's no calorie info for the dry weight. Very annoying!

I'm going to aim for 200g cooked, probably about 85g dry, and weigh it after boiling, before sauce. Kitchen mayhem, but there we go. Wish I'd bought a pasta packet with dry weight calories on!
  • ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Well as far as grams go, I know 100 grams of cooked rotini equals about 157 calories. ( I cook mine at the longest setting on the box).
    I took the calories of the whole box of pasta and then just divided by the weight of all the pasta when it was done cooking and came up with that. It ended up being over double the size! :0

Edit: whoa talk about necro-posting!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    bump to keep
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    bump for future reference, this is a constant worry in my diary!
  • Happymelz
    Happymelz Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tiff721
    Tiff721 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Great answer and easy for me to do while cooking with my family - - I don't have a scale yet - - so this I can do!:flowerforyou:
  • KaneV1
    KaneV1 Posts: 1
    Options
    Cooked pasta = 2.5 x Dry Pasta Weight
  • bruverjohn
    bruverjohn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i know on average that dry pasta at 75gr is 97 calories if that helps
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The calories are for dry weight. The water adds nothing to the count. The good news is that if you are weighing it cooked, you are saving yourself a ton of calories :O)

I believe this to be correct also. The pasta only doubles in size because it has absorbed water, and water is negligible in calories.
    The only way to add more calories would be to add salt or herbs to the water you're cooking with. I never do, so I just measure the pasta dry.

I agree! Because I have been getting low blood sugars due to T1 diabetes each time I eat pasta and only weigh out 85g of COOKED pasta! This explains my lows!!!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You don't even need a pasta machine. Just shape the pasta by hand. Here are some pictures I took for how to shape pasta without a machine. I like to sit in front of the TV and mindlessly "thumb" orecchietti for the freezer. Throwing a bunch of raw spinach in the food-processor pasta dough is a great way to hide a veggie.

http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/italian/fresh-pasta-in-the-food-processor.html