Cold Stomach = Burning Fat: Myth or Truth?

Options
I heard that when you're working out (specifically running), if you're stomach's old to the touch, then you're burning fat. I've seen people on here say it, people on fitness blogs, and even a friend or two.
Granted, after I heard about it, I was at the gym and my stomach was cold too so there's obviously something about working out and cold stomachs. My problem is, if you're working out hard enough, the blood would be going to your arms, legs, lungs, etc and not be as focused in the core as it usually is, right? So from simple biology and anatomy logic, your core would be colder because there's less blood. I'm not completely sure this is true though.
I'm just wondering if anyone else has heard this and if there's any truth to it, or if it's just one of those old wives type workout tales.

Replies

• cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Well, I do know from taking cellular and organ physiology that when the ambient temperature drops below the thermoneutral zone (the range of temperatures at which an organism can function without changing its metabolic rate), metabolic rate increases. So you would be burning more calories if you are in cold weather - say, 30F - than you would in mild weather - 65F, for example. When you are exposed to colder temperatures, your body will let your extremities go cold long before it lets your core go cold, to preserve optimal function of your vital organs, so no, I do not think blood moves away from your core and into your extremities when you work out.
  • cakeums
    Options
    And this is without the buffer of insulating layers, like hair, clothing, etc.
  • xnikkiheart
    Options
    Maybe I worded that weird, but not that blood is necessarily moving away, I'm just confused because people are saying as you workout your stomach gets colder and that means you're burning fat (regardless of temperature). It just seems like a strange concept to me, maybe because I'm always burning up and sweating haha. I guess that makes sense if you're colder, you burn more calories (& maybe that's why my gym is always freezing).
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    So cakeums is that why taking cold showers is said to boost metabolism?
    I live in a subtropical climate.
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    My stomach gets cold too.........but I just figured I was whacko or something. :frown:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Wow. I've never heard this one.
    I'll probably be feeling my belly when I workout now.
  • cakeums
    Options
    So cakeums is that why taking cold showers is said to boost metabolism?
    I live in a subtropical climate.

If it brings your ambient temperature out of the thermoneutral zone, then I would suppose so, especially since body heat is lost much more easily to water than to air. However, I would think you'd need to be in there for quite some time to really see any significant effect. Being in too hot an environment can also raise metabolic rate, but not nearly as significantly as in a colder environment.
  • kaylvan
    kaylvan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've experienced that too...even running in hotter temperatures, my stomach and sides still feel cold to the touch later in the workout. I've also heard that it's from burning fat but I don't know of any scientific evidence that supports the idea! Interesting topic.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Myth. If it were true you could just sit at home and point a fan at your belly and lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Loseweight1980
    Options
    Sorry, guys, but whatever muscles are being used are the ones that will get the most blood flow. If you are running, the blood flow gets directed to you legs, and therefore not to your stomach area. Also, when you run, you kick in your fight or flight response, causing blood to slow down to your digestive tract, which also makes the abdominal area seem colder. (This is medically backed up)
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Myth. If it were true you could just sit at home and point a fan at your belly and lose weight.

I think the cold belly question is whether it is a sign, not a cause.
  • ChloeFrancom
    Options
    This is true! When I do dance we know that we're burning fat when our stomachs are cold.. It dosen't matter what exersize you're doing it's always the stomach!
  • yellowstar247
    Options
    Fat cells metabolize much slowe than other tissues, and thus release less heat. When you workout, your muscles produce considerably more heat as your metabolism spikes and everything but your fat heats up. Your fat does not becoeme cold, necessarily: it just feels cold compared to the rest of your body after exercising.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of this.
  • bikinibeliever
    bikinibeliever Posts: 832 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is true or not, but I have noticed when it is cold out and I walk (same distance and time) I burn more calories. I do not bundle up to walk so I feel cold to touch on most areas.
  • CarleyLovesPets
    CarleyLovesPets Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This also happens to me when I am on the elliptical and I have also heard that means you're burning fat.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Mine is hot.... runs off to cry
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Mine never gets cold. I must not be burning fat.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I heard that when you're working out (specifically running), if you're stomach's old to the touch, then you're burning fat.

My stomach is OLD to the touch! I'm burning fat HUZZAH
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sorry, guys, but whatever muscles are being used are the ones that will get the most blood flow. If you are running, the blood flow gets directed to you legs, and therefore not to your stomach area. Also, when you run, you kick in your fight or flight response, causing blood to slow down to your digestive tract, which also makes the abdominal area seem colder. (This is medically backed up)

Basically this.