Bright RED after exercise?

Options
paprs
paprs Posts: 47 Member
I work out 4-5 days a week and hit it pretty hard at the gym. I've been doing this for about 3 months now, and feel like I'm getting in pretty decent cardiovascular shape. However, after an exceptionally difficult workout (like a bootcamp style class), my face and chest turn bright red and my skin is actually splotchy and hot to the touch. Meanwhile, the rest of the ladies in the class have a nice glow and still look presentable... not like they're about to die.

Does this happen to anyone else? Has anyone gotten less red as they've become more fit?

Replies

• alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This is me! After running I am very red. I had a lady ask me once about my "bad sunburn". Lol.
  • ColeTrain70
    Options
    I am pretty red after i workout mostly because my heart rate is through the roof and its from the blood pumping so hard through the body. So, for what its worth :) No worries :)
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Happens to me and my son...my mom said it was the Swedish in us, but who knows.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well especially after running. It's called my neon glow!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Me too. I consider myself fit, and I still get red faced. I am pale skinned also. I like it, shows me I have worked out hard.
  • CopperGalaxy
    CopperGalaxy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Me too. It's nothing to worry about, after reading a few articles I found that it indicates good blood flow (the face has many small capillaries causing the blood to rush to the surface during the cooling process of the body during exercise). For me it has never gone away with improved fitness, even used to happen when I was a teenager, so try and get used to it lol! Some people are just like this x
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Think it just means your doing it right and pushing yourself. in any class you.control the intensity. maybe your just pushing yourself further. uf I don't come out bright red I think I've done something wrong! lol x
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    This is soo me. I have always had this problem.
    I look like a sweaty lobster after I work out, I guess I have just grown to accept it.
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Yes!! One of my sisters, me and my mom get like this. For me, after working out, I have to relax for a bit( I workout at home) so I will eat my breakfast, input my food for the day and then I can go have a shower. If not, my face will be red and I will be hot and sweaty for a few hours and people think there is something wrong with me :laugh: You just have to try to get used to it.

Edited because it didnt make sense and my letter 'T" doesnt seem to work well
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    It's just your skin tone and type. It's nothing to worry about, and I doubt it's nearly as bad as you think.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Me...after a run or an intense gym workout, I am roughly the colour of a boiled beetroot and dripping in sweat. No radiant glow for me! I get splotches on my chest too, but for me that's a form of hives.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I turn red after working out too. It used to worry my husband but he's used to it now. The harder I workout the redder I am, lol.
  • aamberrr
    aamberrr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I turn so red I look ridiculous. I really just think it has to do with your complexion. I mean... honestly, I get so red I almost look purple-ish sometimes. And it lasts about an hour, usually, sometimes a little more. I've always been that way, no matter what physical condition I was in. No worries. :)
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well and like one other lady said I also had a lady ask if my sunburn hurt during a workout class. It was kind of embarrasing but I bet she was more embarrassed than I was.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I get red, and if its a really good workout. I get a red stripe around my face, white cheeks and kinda blue around my nose and mouth. Actually asked a cardiologist about it. It's normal for me:laugh: It's always done that, even when I was 14!
  • _canuckrunner_
    _canuckrunner_ Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Don't worry - its just a natural response to exercise (your blood vessels dilate so that you can increase your cardiac output). Some people just show it more than others. Think of it as your heart thanking you for the great workout! :)
  • tinytoyjess
    tinytoyjess Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    My face and chest are pretty red following a Spinning class or some time on the elliptical. The whole-face thing doesn't last super long but I do maintain a redness on my cheeks for a while, as though I've been in the sun.
  • VenusEnvy
    VenusEnvy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I look like a sweaty lobster after I work out, I guess I have just grown to accept it.

This. I am very fair skinned, blonde, and of Swedish/Irish descent. I had no chance.

I could also sunburn on a moonlit night.
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I work out 4-5 days a week and hit it pretty hard at the gym. I've been doing this for about 3 months now, and feel like I'm getting in pretty decent cardiovascular shape. However, after an exceptionally difficult workout (like a bootcamp style class), my face and chest turn bright red and my skin is actually splotchy and hot to the touch. Meanwhile, the rest of the ladies in the class have a nice glow and still look presentable... not like they're about to die.

Does this happen to anyone else? Has anyone gotten less red as they've become more fit?

This is me as well. My kids are the same. I don't feel like I will die, but I am very red. As long as you feel good, heart rate is good, I would not worry.
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Could be the fair skin. I sometimes feel purple!