Doctor says I don't need to lose anymore weight :(

Options
So, I'm 40 years old, 6' 2", and at 189 lbs. I work out every day but Sunday. 30 Day Shred 4 times a week, and jogging twice a week.

I drink lots of water, I don't eat much processed junk at all, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and have my protein intake up to around 25%. I am on the high healthy range of the BMI scale.

I just got my physical today, and my doctor doesn't think I need to lose any more weight. She thinks the BMI scale expects people to be a lower weight than they should be. I asked about the spare tire I still want to lose, and she thinks that will happen if I keep working out, without a calorie deficit.

I know she's my doctor, but I still wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

Listen to your doctor... begin eating at maintenance level.. Change up your work outs with more weight training and less cardio.. This will cause you to gain weight in the form of sexy lean muscle.. That spare tire will be gone.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    Doctors don't care if you're a bit chubby -- As long as you are healthy enough...

If you want to tone or lose more, do it. Don't get out of a healthy BMI though. Do what you feel is best. I think 189 sounds fine considering how tall you are! But if you want to lose a few more; go ahead. Not like it would make you sick or anything.

:) Good luckk~
  • Americanpeanut
    Options
    I agree with your doctor. It'll definitely happen, just keep up the good work (and by good I mean wow, amazing!) Change your stats to a maintenance level and you'll get lean muscle. Have fun and good luck!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

Listen to your doctor... begin eating at maintenance level.. Change up your work outs with more weight training and less cardio.. This will cause you to gain weight in the form of sexy lean muscle.. That spare tire will be gone.

Exactly what I was going to say!
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    Agree with 2 prior posters. Back off on the cardio a bit and add some weight lifting.
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

What scares me is I already changed my calorie intake from 2 lbs lost a week to 1 lb lost a week, and I gained 4 lbs! Now, I know that could be because of a range of reasons. Maybe it's muscle? Maybe I didn't poop yet? Who knows. It still makes me nervous to up my calories AGAIN :(
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you eat at maintenance, and work out consistently 5-6 days a week, pound out every work out you will see the results you want.

Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone..
  • SkinnyChemicals
    Options
    The operative word is 'need', you may not need to lose weight but if you want to lose the spare tire you have to lose more body fat.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

THIS:)
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

• VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Really for your height I think you should weight more. My boyfriend is 5'-10" and weight about 195. Really I think all you should concentrate on is toning. Losing weight won't necessarily help you lose the tire. Trust me I got down to 105 and I was just a smaller version of my 125 self. My mistake was I was just doing cardio and not toning. Toning is what you need.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    BMI is the most ridiculous measurement of how fat or thin someone "should" be. There was just an article out that said the BMI scale was way wrong. It OVER estimated the healthy range for fit people and UNDERESTIMATED it for obese people so someone who was fit had a BMI in the high range and someone who was clearly obese was deemed "acceptable".
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    The operative word is 'need', you may not need to lose weight but if you want to lose the spare tire you have to lose more body fat.

This. There is a difference between need to lose more and can lose more.

I'm well into what is considered a healthy weight and body fat for my stats, but I WANT to do better and be more athletic.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    6' 2" & 189 sounds pretty close to where you want to be (I'm 5'10" and my doctor thinks 180 is about right for me, according to the BMI charts I'd still be in the "overweight" zone..)
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm definitely not in my comfort zone :)

I COULD do the 30 Day Shred instead of one of the days of cardio, but the last time I did 30 Day Shred every day, I inured myself. Maybe I could replace the cardio with JUST weight lifting?

Is it possible to do some good weight training without a lot of equipment? Right now I have a dumb bell set.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 40 years old, 6' 2", and at 189 lbs. I work out every day but Sunday. 30 Day Shred 4 times a week, and jogging twice a week.

I drink lots of water, I don't eat much processed junk at all, eat lots of fruits and veggies, and have my protein intake up to around 25%. I am on the high healthy range of the BMI scale.

I just got my physical today, and my doctor doesn't think I need to lose any more weight. She thinks the BMI scale expects people to be a lower weight than they should be. I asked about the spare tire I still want to lose, and she thinks that will happen if I keep working out, without a calorie deficit.

I know she's my doctor, but I still wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thanks for any feedback!

Ummmm you received viable medical advice from a medical doctor.... you should stick with the medical doctor... MFP is not a medical resource-related website. Sorry, but, I wouldnt ever rely on MFP when my doctors have advised me of things to follow/not follow...

I would be flippin' THRILLED if my doctor said that to me if I was at that point of my journey to just maintain..

You should be celebratin'!
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Dude, Im 6'1" tall and if I weighed 189 I'd be malnourished, I'm trying to hit that number but I will definitely be underweight...lol..I agree with the majority of posters here, time to get the muscles built up, there is such a thing as skinny fat, tone tone tone.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It is YOUR choice, your body, you are in charge. Do what you want. Doctors don't have all the answers. When I got down to 10% my doctor said okay stop now! LOL Mainly, listen to your own body. You know when you are healthy. If you are healthy, feel great, have strong workouts, enjoy life, then you are OK with less fat. The main thing when you get lean is to have hormone levels checked once a year (usually it's best to see a natureopathic MD for this, in my humble opinion). But I am older so it is more of an issue. My DXA scan showed I am way "under fat" but at 51.5 years old I am as healthy as can be and strong as ever, and my bone density is that of a 30 year old.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

I agree with this!
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm definitely not in my comfort zone :)

I COULD do the 30 Day Shred instead of one of the days of cardio, but the last time I did 30 Day Shred every day, I inured myself. Maybe I could replace the cardio with JUST weight lifting?

Is it possible to do some good weight training without a lot of equipment? Right now I have a dumb bell set.

You Are Your Own Gym has a nice book and iPhone app. All of the exercises are done with body weight and common household items.