Replies

• nursewhitman
    nursewhitman Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I agree with your doc.
  • fwalz3
    fwalz3 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Your BMI for your height and weight just put you into the healthy range. So, no, you don't NEED to lose any more weight but you have plenty of room to play with if you still have some areas that you want to lose weight in.
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Same as most of the responders, just curious of what your body fat % is. BMI is an outdated, but easily understood and calculated tool, so is still used.

If you are just starting strength training, don't get frustrated at the 3 pounds you gain in the first week...this is just from swollen muscles and other things that happen when you first start stressing your muscles. It will go away (it is only water, not fat...nor muscle)

Slowly increase your calories to your maintanance level, don't throw them all in at once. Add a couple of hundred calories every week or two. (Who knows, you may even lose more after increasing your calorie intake...seen it before on others and on myself)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

Listen to your doctor... begin eating at maintenance level.. Change up your work outs with more weight training and less cardio.. This will cause you to gain weight in the form of sexy lean muscle.. That spare tire will be gone.

I agree with this guy^^^^ and your Doctor. Your at a healthy weight and weigh loss is not the only way to transform your body. You need some serious strength training and weight lifting. 30 day shred is more geared towards women...I would ditch that and hit the weights hard. Up your protein a wee bit too!

*****you're. duh it's early and i'm still drinking my coffee:wink:
  • karrielynn80
    karrielynn80 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys.

What scares me is I already changed my calorie intake from 2 lbs lost a week to 1 lb lost a week, and I gained 4 lbs! Now, I know that could be because of a range of reasons. Maybe it's muscle? Maybe I didn't poop yet? Who knows. It still makes me nervous to up my calories AGAIN :(

what everyone else said + ignore the scale (hide it if you must) and start measuring. you'll notice a difference in how you fit in ur clothes & start to see that stomach tightening up in no time. I don't agree to cut down on cardio tho - i just recommend making sure it's HIIT cardio that is constantly challenging your body & eat back as many calories as possible.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    What's your body fat %? It seems like you are in a healthy BMI, but you could still have a high body fat %. I would mainly focus on adding strength training (like most of the other people have said)
  • FatDadSlim
    FatDadSlim Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm 6ft /164Lbs, and i still have my spare tire!
    How? because i don't lift, i know i should but i just cannot get motivated to do so :indifferent:

If you really want to rid yourself of that tire, listen to the others and Lift. (i know i should), cos you got a lot of weight to shift yet if you just go the cardio route, and TBH i'm not so sure that it will ever dissapear with cardio alone even if i got down to -120Lbs!
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm definitely not in my comfort zone :)

I COULD do the 30 Day Shred instead of one of the days of cardio, but the last time I did 30 Day Shred every day, I inured myself. Maybe I could replace the cardio with JUST weight lifting?

Is it possible to do some good weight training without a lot of equipment? Right now I have a dumb bell set.

Your own body provides plenty of resistance for most exercises. I would say that a guy should have 15 lb, 30 lb and 50 lb pairs of dumbbells if he doesn't want a full gym. You can do just about any exercise that you would do at the gym and be able to get good results with those. As far as the weight goes, it all depends on you. You are probably at a weight where switching to maintenance mode would do you some good. You need to go a couple weeks at a new diet range to see what your body is really doing. If I go to the gym and work out hard, I will gain a couple pounds in water weight for a day or two. The problem with pushing the diet thing too far in order to get rid of a spare tire is that you will lose muscle along with fat.

To really get super toned, you may need to bulk up 5-10 lbs (hopefully healthy muscle) and then do a shred routine....rinse and repeat.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

Listen to your doctor... begin eating at maintenance level.. Change up your work outs with more weight training and less cardio.. This will cause you to gain weight in the form of sexy lean muscle.. That spare tire will be gone.

Exactly what I was going to say!

I support this too!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, I'm definitely not in my comfort zone :)

I COULD do the 30 Day Shred instead of one of the days of cardio, but the last time I did 30 Day Shred every day, I inured myself. Maybe I could replace the cardio with JUST weight lifting?

Is it possible to do some good weight training without a lot of equipment? Right now I have a dumb bell set.

Drop 30DS like a bad habit. There are much better programs out there for fat reduction (P90X, Chalean Extreme, Strong Lift 5x5, etc..). All include heavy weight training which means higher fat loss and less muscle loss. And you won't bulk up if you aren' t eating a surplus. I agree with others, set your goal to maintenance and make a deficit through exercise and up you protein to 40%
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Your protein needs to come up to 35% minimum, less cardio, and your Dr. is correct. No more weight loss - it is time to add muscle and tone. BMI - PUKE - do not follow this - EVERYONE is different and I am not sure why all these calculators can take that into effect when each person puts in their numbers.

If you add more strength and track it while eating your maint. calories you will start to tone and add muscle. Your scale will change anywhere from 2-4 lbs no matter what - this was stated by my Dr and over the last ten months...I have found he is right.

Good Luck!! Eat to Live NOT Live to Eat!
  • trustymutsi
    trustymutsi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Well, just yesterday I switched over to taking my measurements over the scale. I'm at:

Neck: 16"
    Waist: 40.5"
    Hips: 40.25"

The idea of weight lifting has me overwhelmed :( I know I can figure it out, I just need a good place to start. Like I said before, I do have dumb bells to start with.

So 30 Day Shred is useless to me? I am still JUST able to keep up with the strength portion of the level one workout.
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

This guy speaks the truth. I started lifting and I gained from my original goal weight--but am smaller than ever. Body composition > weight on a scale. My doctor says she's perfectly happy with where I'm at with how healthy my stats are and how I look. Good enough for me.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I agree with the BMI may not be accurate. My husband is a Marine. His BMI tells him hes overweight at 204 5'10-5'11. And the marine corps will say he is overweight due to his weight....BUT he "tapes" out. He's ALL MUSCLE and you can see it. Therefore even tho he weighs more he has a very low fat %... So thats why I believe it can be misleading.

If you wanna lose more you can, but I think you should focus on toning... lift and lift again!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    nahhh if you have a spare tire..you can't spot reduce it off..f..you need to lose it.... I'd keep working out..lift..and eat at a small deficit. Can't help but wonder how the doctor looks? And would he or she want their love interest to have a spare tire? or is that good enough for patient..but not for them?
  • kirstyg1980
    Options
    My Advice...

^^^^^THIS
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Change doesn't happen in your comfort zone..

This!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Well, just yesterday I switched over to taking my measurements over the scale. I'm at:

Neck: 16"
    Waist: 40.5"
    Hips: 40.25"

The idea of weight lifting has me overwhelmed :( I know I can figure it out, I just need a good place to start. Like I said before, I do have dumb bells to start with.

So 30 Day Shred is useless to me? I am still JUST able to keep up with the strength portion of the level one workout.

P90X (or X2), Chalean Extreme or programs like Strong Lift 5x5 (if you want to go to the gym or have an in home gym) are all more effective. 30DS is endurance training and heavy in cardio. Large amounts of cardio can lead to muscle loss and fat retention as it creates a large calorie deficit. So if you want to be lean and cut, slow down the cardio. Now HIIT, for whatever reason, can help with fat loss but I don't believe it's more effective than weight training.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    So, I'm 40 years old, 6' 2", and at 189 lbs.

... I asked about the spare tire I still want to lose, and she thinks that will happen if I keep working out, without a calorie deficit.

I'm 41 years old and 6' 2" and currently weigh 212. Absolutely no spare tire at all. (Look at my last photo. That was at 225) The difference is that I hit the weights really hard 3-4 times a week. It makes all the difference in the world. Switch up to eating maintenance calories, continue to do some light cardio several times a week and start kicking those weights around the gym. Don't worry about gaining a few pounds. You'll see some body composition change within a few months and you can slowly trim out a few calories to help with that spare tire.

Focus on the strength training, get 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight, and within a couple months start back with a very slight calorie deficit. The strength training is what tells your body to retain lean muscle mass when you're cutting. Don't neglect it.
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My Advice...

Exactly what I was going to say!

Ditto.