Jillian Michaels' Formula for Calories Burned

Options

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not an accurate way to measure calories burned. It's better than a blind formula, but not by a lot. When Polar or TomTom or someone comes out with one that measures body temp at rest and during activity... we might be getting close.
  • fatladygoingslim
    Options
    +1
    I will read it later.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would also like to point out that if you're taking your weight in pounds, dividing by 25, multiplying by 50, dividing by 60 and multiplying by 30, you end up with your weight in pounds again.

So therefore, the formula states that whatever your weight in pounds is, that's how many calories you burn in half an hour....

Correct me if I'm wrong!
    You are not wrong. :smile:
  • aajensen2
    Options
    I'm doing the 40 minute Julian Michaels problem zones video and I know that I burn WAY over 200-400 calories in that amount of time because I am very out of breath and very tired. Its circuit training just like the 30 minute shred so at 5 foot tall and 130 pounds and very in shape I'm guessing anyone that is bigger and less in shape than me is burning up to at least 600-700 calories, I add 600 to my day each day I do this.
  • RedRita32
    RedRita32 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ZombieBubbles
    ZombieBubbles Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • LilPuertarican
    LilPuertarican Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allisonr1984
    Options
    I know this is an older thread, but I noticed some other people have recently bumped so I thought I would post my experience. My formula would be as follows:

129lbs so 130/25=5.2 so 5*50=250/60 minutes=4.167 calories per minute
    A typical Jillian workout is 35 minutes including warm up and cool down 35 minutes*4.167 calories=145.83 calories burned.

However, I have a HRM (Polar) and I have seen the following amounts from it:
    Ripped in 30 Level 1 175 calories 35 minutes
    30 Day Shred Level 2 224/222/178/170/185 calories 26 minutes
    Yoga Meltdown Level 1 85 calories 35 minutes
    Killer Buns and Thighs Level 1 298 calories 43 minutes

Obviously it varies every time, but I think the HRM is more accurate then My Fitness Pals calculations and I think Jillian's formula is a little low. I also notice my heart rate is higher in the morning than in the evening so the calorie burn depends on the time of day I do my workout. I normally burn more calories when running but the fat burn % is higher with Jillian's workouts then with running. Hope this is helpful :)
  • kwin1973
    kwin1973 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM and that formula is very close to what I burn (depending on intensity).
  • cabh2
    cabh2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Bump.
  • HelpfulMathGuy
    Options
    Quick note: you can save yourself a minute or two of calculating by taking out the 25 and 50 from the equation. Just multiply your bodyweight by 2 and divide that number by 60. You'll get the same result.

Old Way Example: (I weight 175)

175/25 = 7, 7 x 50 = 350, 350/60 = 5.83 calories/minute

New Way Example:

175 x 2 = 350, 350/60 = 5.83 calories/minute
  • deannasueknutson
    deannasueknutson Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Very cool! Thanks posting! I don't have HRM either. It's nice to have a base of what to track for excerise. Even though it could perhaps be on the low side. I rather say I'm burning less than actual than reporting more than actual.
  • rissamarie406
    rissamarie406 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Quick note: you can save yourself a minute or two of calculating by taking out the 25 and 50 from the equation. Just multiply your bodyweight by 2 and divide that number by 60. You'll get the same result.

New Way Example:

Lol, thanks for simplifying it :)
  • jennday1
    jennday1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just did Yoga Meltdown with my BodyMedia for the first time and for 35 minutes at level one it gave me a burn of 120. That seemed low to me but looking around and that is pretty much what everyone else is getting. This seems like an inefficient use of my time. I can go run 3 miles in 30 minutes and burn more then twice that. I guess something is better then nothing.
  • Katterin227
    Katterin227 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

New Way Example:

Even easier way: Divide weight by 30.
    175/30 = 5.83 calories/minute.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't usually do this, but I was out late Friday and missed my spin class Saturday morning...and did Level 1 instead. I weight 142 and burned 180 calories (mind you, I do the program with 8-10 lb weights)
  • linzbarker
    linzbarker Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am on Day 10 of Level 1 and in the 27 minute workout, I usually burn 250-300 calories weighing 150lbs at 5'4". I do the highest intensity for every move and don't stop at all.
  • Katterin227
    Katterin227 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I was trying out a new HRM yesterday, my second day doing level 1. According to the formula, I should burn 200 calories. Per the HRM, I burned 155. It's probably not surprising that I burned a little less since I can't keep up with all of the cardio work and end up modifying it so that I'm still moving, but less vigorously. (Day 2 was much better than day 1, though!)

I was also wearing my fitbit as always, but I wanted the HRM for the 30DS since it's not really step-based. The two were surprisingly close, so I may not bother with the HRM as I'm a larger-busted lady and the chest strap is not terribly comfortable.
  • tonyafitnesspal
    tonyafitnesspal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This formula is Absolutely what i was looking for. Thx!
  • makemac
    makemac Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Interesting. The formula indicates I burn only 150 cals in a 30 minute class... But I breathe harder and sweat more than if I do other standard aerobics classes (step or high-lo). Supposedly, 30 min. Of these other typical classes burn about 225 cals (for weight of 150). I think the formula is off.