Extremely hungry in morning

Options
Is it normal to be extremely hungry in the morning? I have to eat first thing or I feel sick.

Replies

• simonlcube
    simonlcube Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different. I eat in the morning if I'm hungry, but normally for me lunch is my first meal of the day. But I don't think I'm abnormal! If you feel as if you are starving, then have a great healthy meal to get your day off to a good start ... sounds fine to me ... are you concerned about your level of hunger?
  • butterflycutie
    Options
    I think everyone is different. I eat in the morning if I'm hungry, but normally for me lunch is my first meal of the day. But I don't think I'm abnormal! If you feel as if you are starving, then have a great healthy meal to get your day off to a good start ... sounds fine to me ... are you concerned about your level of hunger?

I'm kind of concerned because I don't think I should feel sick. It's the only meal I feel like that. Most people I know don't eat breakfast or wait about an hour then eat. I have to eat first thing.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    You might want to get your blood sugar checked, I think it's a sign of low blood sugar. Also, at times when I was on very low calorie diets (too low) I would wake up sick.
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    i eat cottage cheese just before bed so i'm not so hungry in the mornings,
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Try having a light snack before bedtime. I use to wake up ravenous but would get sick if I ate right away, having a little something just before bedtime seemed to help me.
  • butterflycutie
    Options
    You might want to get your blood sugar checked, I think it's a sign of low blood sugar. Also, at times when I was on very low calorie diets (too low) I would wake up sick.

I was thinking about getting my blood sugar checked. Guess I need to do that. My calorie intake is around 1700 so don't think it's that.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Try having a light snack before bedtime. I use to wake up ravenous but would get sick if I ate right away, having a little something just before bedtime seemed to help me.

This, for me, is the complete opposite. If I eat right before I go to bed, I wake up hungry.

I think it is completely normal to be hungry in the morning. It just means that your metabolism is working and that's a good thing!
  • butterflycutie
    Options
    i eat cottage cheese just before bed so i'm not so hungry in the mornings,

I'm not a big cottage cheese fan but will try to eat something before bed to see if that helps.
  • waterdice89
    Options
    I once had a doctor tell me that if I woke up and actually physically felt hungry (not just ate breakfast because I was suppose to) than I didnt over eat the day before. I find this to be true. Last night I had a big philly cheese steak that i would not have usually and i felt so full before bed ( I also ate substantially later than normal) I woke up this morning and it took me about 1.5 hours to really start feeling hungry. Versus when I eat my 3-400 calorie normal dinnar at 6pm with a small snack around 8, I wake up starving in the morning.
  • toriaenator
    toriaenator Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    hmmm some days im like this too; ill wake up at 6am STARVING but then other days the thought of eating makes me sick and i dont eat until 2 or 3 pm... ahhh the wonders of the body.. i wouldnt worry too much though :)
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    for me it depends on how early i eat dinner. lately i have been eating dinner before 8 so i am hungry in the morning as well.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to be hungry for breakfast. I don't have time to eat first thing, but I HAVE to get something in my system. I have a glass of juice and sometimes a banana to get me going. High in sugar I know, but I don't drink coffee.
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I feel like this if I am up really early compared to normal, or I am jet-lagged - or I ate too much too late the day before. Perhaps it helps if you have a very light snack before you start your routines, just to settle your stomach? That's what I normally do - water and then a couple of slices of tomato or a cracker or something, a tiny nudge on the blood-sugar.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    It's ok to feel hungry first thing when you wake up but it's a great idea to see your doctor. Consult with a doctor instead of well meaning friends on MFP is my advice. :flowerforyou:
  • thrudhammer
    thrudhammer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I definitely need to eat very soon after I get up in the morning or I feel (and act) rotten. Blood sugars are fine, it's just that I'm hungry and it's time to eat. I've been this way all my life so this is my normal and I'm OK with that. For me, breakfast is usually more calories than any other meal, which may contribute to being hungry in the morning but if I don't eat big in the morning I feel crummy and I end up eating more in the pm which doesn't seem to help much the next morning but does make my butt grow.

I'm on a six feedings schedule, three meals and three snacks. The first two combined are often closer to 50% of my daily intake than they are to 40%.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. Some mornings I'm hungrier than others. It's normal to feel hungry on a deficit. That is the key, don't be afraid of the feeling, it means your body is burning off the energy it has stored.

Contrary to what many say.. If you have a lot of body fat reserves you would be surprised at how little you can eat (unless you have emotional eating issues or disorders). The leaner you get the less your body has to draw from and then you have to taper up your calories. There is no such thing as starvation mode for woman over 12% body fat or men over 6% body fat. I pretty much proved that for myself by staying strong and building muscle and doing what I did. I'm the leanest, most muscular, and most fit that I have ever been in my life at almost 52 years old. The full story here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

I find I want my cup of tea or coffee before I eat and then I'm not hungry for awhile.

The advantage of putting off breakfast is 1) the longer fast helps your body produce HGH which gives you many benefits one of them being weight loss, 2) you have a smaller window in your day to eat calories which helps when you are on a deficit.
    It is just easier to eat too many calories when you have a bigger window and include breakfast.

But by all means, if you need breakfast you need breakfast. We are all different. You must do what is best for you. But don't be afraid of the feeling of hunger, it's not fun but it will not hurt your body if your body has fat reserves to pull from. That is what the fat reserves are for after all!
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I don't have any issues with my blood sugar but I do have issues with my blood pressure, kidneys, and iron deficient(not sure if any of this plays a roll). Honestly I just make sure I eat first thing and I feel fine. But if I don't I feel physically ill, like weak and want to throw up.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to be extremely hungry in the morning? I have to eat first thing or I feel sick.

It is normal to feel hungry during a fasted state. Do not let your feelings of hunger affect your decisions and you will be ok.
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm ravenous on a morning, always have been. I could never be one of those people who doesn't eat until lunch time.
  • butterflycutie
    Options
    I'm the same way. I don't have any issues with my blood sugar but I do have issues with my blood pressure, kidneys, and iron deficient(not sure if any of this plays a roll). Honestly I just make sure I eat first thing and I feel fine. But if I don't I feel physically ill, like weak and want to throw up.

This is exactly me! I feel like I'm gonna throw up. I know my iron is fine cause gave blood not too long ago but I dont remember if they check blood sugar (don't think so). Anyways, I just need to get a check up.