Can you go to the ER for a toothache?

Options
BeautyFromPain
BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
Okay so long story short I just woke up in the utter most agony.. i'm actually crying cos of a toothache.. I know I need this tooth pulled but have not been able to afford it.. must be infected or something.. can you go to ER if you have a toothache? It's 1am here so obv all dentists are closed plus I can't afford to see one atm.

know it's probs a silly question.. :S

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can, but not sure they will do anything, but they might give you some pain meds to hold you until you can get to a dentist.

JM
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can, but not sure they will do anything, but they might give you some pain meds to hold you until you can get to a dentist.

JM

They told me to make an MFP thread about it
  • Windy_
    Windy_ Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Actually, most ER's won't give you anything for a toothache. The reason? Addicts who go to the ER looking for a prescription for pain meds most often complain about toothaches. Why? Because ERs are generally not equipped to handle dental emergencies.
  • madworld1
    Options
    Actually, most ER's won't give you anything for a toothache. The reason? Addicts who go to the ER looking for a prescription for pain meds most often complain about toothaches. Why? Because ERs are generally not equipped to handle dental emergencies.

That's true for many ER's. Addicts often fake toothaches to get pain meds and the staff is well aware. I'm definitely not saying you are one of these individuals. Just be prepared for skepticism from the staff.

That said, an infected tooth can be life threatening. The bacteria can get into the blood and travel to the heart. It's imperative that you get it taken care of. I'm sorry you don't feel good... tooth aches are the worst. Can you get some oragel to alleviate some of the pain? My mouth hurts just thinking about a bad toothache.
  • crobl
    crobl Posts: 380
    Options
    Many ER's do have a dentist on call for true emergencies...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options

If they had a look at my tooth they would be able to see that half the tooth has broken off and it is swollen all around the edges...
  • aimeewick
    aimeewick Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You can and they may give you pain meds. That will help short-term but as soon as the meds wear off, you'll be in pain again. Go to the dentist and get it taken care of. If you don't have insurance, most will agree to a payment plan.
  • madworld1
    Options
    Many ER's do have a dentist on call for true emergencies...

That's good to know. They need to-- that's for sure.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    For crying out loud, go to the dentist when they open.

You can afford an ER visit but not a dentist?

BAH
    :angry:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    For crying out loud, go to the dentist..

For crying out loud, how many dentists are open at 2am?

Umm yeah ER visits are completely covered by insurance.. dentists aren't..
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Put it on a credit card if you have to. You have to go to the dentist for things like this. If you wait, you may end up losing that tooth completely.
  • the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    In short, it is very likely infected and needs to come out otherwise treated. At the ER, if they don't have a dentist, as above, they my give pain meds and possibly antibiotics to fight the infection until you can get to a dentist once they open.

JM
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    For crying out loud, go to the dentist..

For crying out loud, how many dentists are open at 2am?

Umm yeah ER visits are completely covered by insurance.. dentists aren't..

Then go.
    Don't waste time asking a bunch of people on the internetz.

*shrugs*
  • iSurvive
    Options
    My husband went to the ER for a major tooth ache in the middle of the night. They gave him some sort of pain medicine (he didn't remember what) and that didn't work. So then they gave him a dental block. And sent him home with Percocet, so clearly they weren't worried he was an addict seeking meds.

ETA: Of course with instructions to see his dentist first thing in the morning. Which he did and ended up having to have that tooth pulled!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Many dentists will work with you if you don't have the money up front....call around first to make sure (you can probably make payments)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

If they had a look at my tooth they would be able to see that half the tooth has broken off and it is swollen all around the edges...

so why didnt you go to the dentist?!

i say tough it out with some painkillers and get to the dentist at 9am
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I would have said no.. But it sounds pretty bad.. You might need antibiotics (if you have an abscess) which they should be able to provide...
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Put it on a credit card if you have to. You have to go to the dentist for things like this. If you wait, you may end up losing that tooth completely.

I don't have a credit card...
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    You've probably taken care of it by now, but for future reference you can go to an ER FOR ANYTHING. ANYTHING AT ALL. If you are in true terrible pain and you can't go to a place that can more effectively treat the issue (like the dentist, because they're closed) they will give you something for it. It's not true that they'll assume that you're a drug addict and not do anything. That's under the discretion of the paramedic, and if you really appear in pain, they will of course give you something to help you. My husband is an EMT so this information comes straight from the source.
  • kenhelms17720
    Options
    You can sometimes find a dental school to do work for you.

The rates will be a lot lower but the downside is that there will be a wait and the procedures take longer.

Might be something to consider in the future.

As others have said though, get it taken care of one way or another before it becomes a serious abscess, there are numerous complications that can be quite bad.