Can you go to the ER for a toothache?

Options

Replies

• madworld1
    Options
    If you can't afford to see a dentist how do you think you can afford the ER? If you walked into our ER with a toothache we'd all hate you.
    Who give a sh** who you hate? I am assuming you are saying you are a medical professional. Aren't you supposed to really care that people are in pain?

Not when you're taking away from ppl who could be dying b/c you have a f*cking toothache

ER visits are coded and prioritized...a heart attack will always trump a toothache...leave it to the professionals to sort priorities, it's not your call

Agreed.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Many ER's do have a dentist on call for true emergencies...
    ^this
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford to see a dentist how do you think you can afford the ER? If you walked into our ER with a toothache we'd all hate you.
    Who give a sh** who you hate? I am assuming you are saying you are a medical professional. Aren't you supposed to really care that people are in pain?

Not when you're taking away from ppl who could be dying b/c you have a f*cking toothache

ER visits are coded and prioritized...a heart attack will always trump a toothache...leave it to the professionals to sort priorities, it's not your call

Agreed.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/insurance-24-year-dies-toothache/story?id=14438171#.UMdWx3eMWSo
    You can actually die if the infection spreads enough..
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Just tell your dentist you don't have insurance and believe me they will work with you and set up a payment plan. I don't have dental insurance yet I manage to go to the dentist twice a year. It's not that expensive.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Agreed.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/insurance-24-year-dies-toothache/story?id=14438171#.UMdWx3eMWSo

Okay, we get that.
    If it hurts that bad, go to the ER.

Sitting here arguing/researching articles to prove that you should go to the ER is not doing you ANY good.
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I will never understand why dental problems, which can kill you, are not considered medical.

Agreed! I don't understand why we can't purchase comprehensive insurance. America really sucks when it comes to being able to take responsibility for our own health.

Actually oral surgery is often considered a medical procedure and not a dental procedure. I had my wisdom teeth out about 4 years ago and my medical insurance covered the procedure, not my dental.

OP I hope you are not considering the ER as a substitute for going to a dentist. That could be a very costly mistake both financially and for your health. I agree with others who have suggested finding a dentist that will take you right away and offer you a payment plan. The other option is to ask a friend/family member if they can help you with the costs.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    probably the cost of going to the dentist is alot cheaper than the visit to the hospital....wait until a dentist is open. Call the health dept in your area. Some health depts. have a clinic for people who don't have insurance and payment is based on your income. Worth checking on this.
  • madworld1
    Options

Agreed.

Sure can. In fact, my mother knew a young girl that died of a severe infection from a toothache that was left untreated.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

after I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I got an infection in the lower socket that flared up to the size of a golf ball in a matter of hours. I went to the ER, they called an oral surgeon, he opened the dental clinic (next door) and did the surgery at 7 am. He said if I had waited a few more hours I could have died from asphyxiation as the infection was rapidly moving into my neck. it's an infection called Ludwig's angina. It's rare but it can kill you. Never ignore a tooth infection.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options
    Dental hygiene is very important. Do something about it. You may consider stepping away from the computer as step one...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I love how it's been two hours, and the OP is still here arguing and trying to justify it rather than just going. I guess it isn't a true emergency after all.
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Instant pain relief: gargle with warm salty water. I have no idea why it works better than toothache medicine, but it does.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    I love how it's been two hours, and the OP is still here arguing and trying to justify it rather than just going. I guess it isn't a true emergency after all.

*sigh*

This.
  • mlwatts2
    mlwatts2 Posts: 247
    Options

ugh....exactly...
  • Mama_Jag
    Mama_Jag Posts: 474 Member
    Options

ugh....exactly...

Yup.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    If this is an obviously needing to be pulled tooth... the ER won't be much help (I'm saying this under the impression that you knew you had a tooth issue, and it has gotten worse).

If you're having jaw pain/numbness/really, really bad pain however, you probably should. I thought *I* had dental pain, called a nurse just to check... and here I've been in the hospital for a TIA for four days. :laugh:

That being said, I'm off the forums now so I don't stress myself out... but I had to come on since this is the "talked about" post today on everyone's feeds... but it's funny, because I thought my issue was just a dental thing that made a nurse "by protocol" refer me to the ER... and it revealed a host of unexpected problems!

Holy crap, firstsip! Get well soon!
  • cmwhited6204
    cmwhited6204 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Okay so long story short I just woke up in the utter most agony.. i'm actually crying cos of a toothache.. I know I need this tooth pulled but have not been able to afford it.. must be infected or something.. can you go to ER if you have a toothache? It's 1am here so obv all dentists are closed plus I can't afford to see one atm.

know it's probs a silly question.. :S

Not here to freak you out but you need to get that taken care of today. The teeth are a major problem in blood disease if an infection is not taken care of. I know someone who was 25 who put off a tooth ache and later died. Go today and make payments if you have too.

TODAY!
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options

That's nice. Anyone with any medical knowledge is aware that toothaches can be a result of a severe infection which can be life threatening. Furthermore, some people don't have a choice. Hopefully judgmental individuals will never have to go through such worries. I'm not for people abusing the ER system, but sounds like she has a legitimate medical issue.

Actually tell that to you rmedical insurance....medical insurance more than 90% of the time will not cover a ER visit if it is not a life threating reason for going. ALSO, the ER has a deductable and if she has a deductable for her insurance and doesn't use it very often she'd be charged more, plus the co-pay, plus the co-pay for the meds. I know b/c I work for the hospital, and know the billing and have had a tooth problem and had to use medical which covered it only b/c it was a boney impacted wisdom tooth. Other than that you get the ER bill and she already said she didn't have money so why would she go to the ER where she is wasting the nurses and doctor's time and taking away from people who might actually be dying. It's a toothache and it didn't just happen i'm sure she knew about it and if she can't wait 8hrs for a dentist that's ridiculous.

Our insurance it's based on whether or not you are admitted to the hospital. If you are admitted, then it's no charge for the ER visit. If you are not admitted, then it's a $100 fee.

This has been the case for every insurance plan I've ever had.

YAY for Canada! I have a tooth ache, I go to the dentist or to the ER and voila, fixed ;)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If this is an obviously needing to be pulled tooth... the ER won't be much help (I'm saying this under the impression that you knew you had a tooth issue, and it has gotten worse).

If you're having jaw pain/numbness/really, really bad pain however, you probably should. I thought *I* had dental pain, called a nurse just to check... and here I've been in the hospital for a TIA for four days. :laugh:

That being said, I'm off the forums now so I don't stress myself out... but I had to come on since this is the "talked about" post today on everyone's feeds... but it's funny, because I thought my issue was just a dental thing that made a nurse "by protocol" refer me to the ER... and it revealed a host of unexpected problems!

Holy crap, firstsip! Get well soon!

Thank you! :smile:
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Curse you with an abscess. Worst pain of life. Hope any medical professionals like you suffer hugely. Karma is a total *****.