Swai and Tilapia?

Options
I bought a few bags of frozen fish when Lent first started because Meijer had it for super cheap. I used up all the cod I bought so far because I know how to cook it. (pepper & lemon + bake it)

I don't know how to cook Swai or Tilapia or what to cook it with. Does anyone have a good recipe for either swai or tilapia? I have alot of it and want to cook most of it up in the next six weeks.

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I like to broil swai with Mrs. Dash Chili Fiesta (or whatever its called) on it and then put it in tacos. Seriously yum.
    Tilapia is awesome coated in cornstarch and pan fried in a tiny bit of oil or butter, then paired with steamed rice and veggies drizzled with lemon juice and sea salt.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Never put those two in the same sentence.
  • jaznon
    jaznon Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    We eat tilapia all the time! Love it! It is good with a little blackening seasoning on it, if you like those types of spices, and sometimes a sprinkle of Molly McButter. We eat it with a veggie and some rice yum!
  • porterca
    porterca Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I usually bake both with garlic and butter. Sometimes add a little lemon pepper or season salt
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    A chef ruined Tilapia for me after telling me stories of the China Imported fishies.... :cry:

swan-gag-o.gif
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Swai is mild tasting as is Tilapia...so whatever seasoning you add to it , it will taste great.

The Chili Lime Fiesta...( i think that's what the earlier poster mentioned) from Mrs Dash...is very tasty...sprinkle some on each side of the fillet and spritz a little olive oil and bake in the oven...or fry on the stove! or....grill...

Squeeze some lemon juice...add garlic, pepper, salt, olive oil and bake..

Lemon pepper seasoning works great too

A blend of black pepper, cumin powder, onion powder, garlic powder, salt..sprinkled on the fish, with a bit of oil...and bake...tastes awesome!
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Never had swai, however tilapia family favourite.

Blackend - mix of cumin, coriander, dried thyme and paprika. Mix with a OO and lemon juice, paint it on and pan fry.

Cole slaw and toritlla's - basic fish Taco's.
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I make tacos with both - i just slice a lemon, top it with the fish, sprinkle with a little taco seasoning, foil it all up tight and throw it in the oven @ 350 until it flakes apart (depends on how thick your fish and lemon slices are) usually about 15 - 20 minutes. Put it on some warm whole grain corn tortillas with finely shredded cabbage. MMMMMM :D
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've eaten swai before since the only catfish I've had were farmed from the Mississippi Delta. My boss swears swai is delicious, though, with a slight sweet taste. Next time I go to the Asia World Market, I'll check to see where their catfish originates from and give it a try since it's cheap.

For tilapia, cod or salmon fillets, I always just use lime ponzo sauce and it turns out great.
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone above.

I eat tilapia a lot, but if you're a big fish-eater, it's kind of tasteless. (In comparison to other types.) That's why I like it as a taco or sandwich with some sort of sauce or cilantro-mayo (fresh cilantro+light mayo+squirt of lime juice, all blended = divine), or blackened. Kinda needs something to give it a bit of kick.
  • sammirust
    sammirust Posts: 83
    Options
    you can bake them for a little in the oven or pan fry them. i do both with the same seasoning of pepper and a dash of salt and lemon juice.
    or you could do a spritz of lime with some pepper. oooooooor if you are in a taco mood make fish tacos out of them. just pan fry them in a bit of buttr- light of course ;p and then cut them in half- or 1/4 if they are big- and get your taco shell ready. add a bit of cabbage, and lime and some tomatoes cut up and tada!~
    they are both really mild and can pretty much go with anything.
    personally if you just want something quick, go get some greek seasoning, and sprinkle a bit on both sides, pan fry and youre done.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Tilapia tastes like whatever condiments you put on it. I just use salt pepper, lemon juice and cook it in a non stick pan. I like it with sriracha sauce too.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I took my Swai (cut into strips) and a few sprays of olive oil, garlic, onion, peppers, and spices and cooked them in a hot skillet and made fish tacos!! Quite yummy!
  • zahid222
    zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mprat210
    mprat210 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I baked Tilapia last night with a roasted red pepper sauce. It was very good.
  • MBCook2
    MBCook2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gangwolf
    Gangwolf Posts: 40
    Options
    I just had swai tonight for the first time ever. I pan cooked it it in a little light olive oil mixed with sea salt and a bourbon rub and lemon juice and served it over rice and steamed vegetables. Not bad, and an easy and fast meal to cook (fish cooks in a pan at super speed). Granted you have to go heavy on the seasoning sometimes but what the hell. My rec is to buy wild caught, however, and avoid any other kind of fish, period. Canned is loaded with salt and fishery fish are skanky due to the conditions they live in.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    love love love swai.

I use a tablespoon of mayo, spread it on the swai, then roll in gluten free panko and into the oven on a nonstick pan for some crunchy oven-fried fish. Cut into strips it makes for some wonderful fish sticks that can be eaten alone, as fish tacos, etc.
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    This is THE BEST tilapia recipe I've EVER had. Yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum, yum! Broiled Tilapia Parmesan. Sooo good.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Broiled-Tilapia-Parmesan/Detail.aspx
  • lainester
    lainester Posts: 46
    Options
    Great tips, bump for later...thank you!