Swai and Tilapia?

Options
2»

Replies

• bhannana
    bhannana Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I love both swai and tilapia. Swai is so mild, it's pretty much tasteless, although the ones I've had are a bit more "chewy" than tilapia. I cook both pretty much the same way:

Rinse and pat dry
    Season with adobo and grilled chicken seasoning (McCormicks makes one, Mrs Dash makes one, I have a kroger generic one currently) and lemon juice if I have it
    Cook in a non stick pan sprayed with a bit of cooking spray.

That's it. I eat it with rainbow chard or broccoli. Many people mentioned making them into tacos, also delicious! I prefer corn tortillas and a really good salsa.

I did once cook the swai in a foil packet with butter, garlic, onion, and some thyme. That was delicious but I'm cutting out the butter. I've marinated the tilapia in olive oil, onion, green olives, garlic, and tomatoes and then baked the whole thing. You can pretty much do anything to these fish and it'll taste like whatever you marinate/dip/sauce them with.
  • tneedham78
    Options
    I eat both of those fishes on a regular basis. I make them the same way most of the time. I use some Cajun seasoning and wrap them in foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Swai I sometimes just put some garlic, onion and pepper and wrap in foil also.
  • USATilapia
    Options
    If you live near a Whole Foods, ask they if they have the Tilapia that is raised in Colorado! It is much healthier for you and does taste way better. If they do not...tell them they need to since it is U.S.A. raised! Too many farms are raising these fish in very nasty conditions.

I believe you can find some recipes on their website quixotic farming.com

Good luck!
  • Evagem
    Evagem Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I just tried Swai this year and absolutely love it! I have only made mine baked so far. My favorite was to take a cara cara orange and juice 1/2 of it. I baked the swai with the juice and salt and pepper. While it was baking, I cut up the rest of the orange, 1/2 an avocado, and a small amount of onion. Once the fish was done, I put the orange avocado mix over it.

Last night I tried it with some older Tastefully Simple seasoning - CiCi Cilantro. Also good.

I will have to try sauteeing with peppers and onions for a fish taco.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    He is right. Look up Tilapia on youtube and you will never eat it again. They are dirty fish, nothing but cleaners. I never eat Tilapia and most definitely any fish from China.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Are they any "dirtier" than any other bottom feeder? Shrimp, catfish, chicken, mushrooms, etc?
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I marinate in italian dressing and cook in a non stick pan and put over rice and veggies.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Last night my swai was seasoned with Mojito Lime Seasoning and broiled :)
  • pamelajane26
    Options
    Sprinkle Tilapia with lemon juice and then sprinkle with 1 tbsp of parmesan- bake at 350 for 25mins! Delish!!! :)