Water is disgusting

Options
right, people say im crazy when i say i literally CANNOT drink water, fruit tea has been suggested and that's disgusting too, ive been drinking around 2 pints of diet coke a day for the last few months, as well as 3 cups of tea with semi skim milk a day.

is there any suggestion of how i can get water into me without it tasting so gross?

Many Thanks,

Beth

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    When I first started drinking water it had to be icy cold and I'd drink it all in one go. I'm still not a water fiend, but I can usually manage it. If you don't mind artificial sweeteners you could try mixing in crystal light flavour packets or the Mio water drops.

If you really just want to get it down and it's that disgusting to you hold your nose and drink it. It works with cough syrups and such.
  • epie2098
    epie2098 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Is your tap water disgusting? Try a Brita filter - they're great if your water tastes like chlorine etc. Do you find a chemical taste with bottled water? Switch to tap and Brita filter if needed.

What about water is grossing you out? Maybe you need to sip, not chug?

My best friend loves to use a Sodastream to make carbonated water. She says the carbonation gives her just enough 'fun' in the water that she doesn't feel like she's drinking water.

The only other thing I can suggest is to try emergenC, Mio, Crystal Light etc. to flavour it and gradually taper it off until you're drinking full-on water.. For example, I drink EmergenC at lunch every day, but I add 500mL/16oz water to it, instead of the 4-6oz suggested.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Filter it through some coffee grounds and add creamer. :) My own well water is heavy in metals and saline, so I drink bottled spring water and use the well water for coffee and cooking/steaming, where the flavor doesn't matter. I agree with you about tea, any tea except vanilla chai tastes like boiled lawn clippings.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    If none of the above suggestions work you will just have to drink it until it starts to taste good. It's the truth really.
  • rosha267
    rosha267 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The only time I ever enjoyed drinking water was when I was severely dehydrated. I do think water is the best way to stay hydrated so I force myself to drink it but its like taking medicine.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    The taste of water varies according to where you live and where the water is sourced. The water at my home is OK to drink as it is, where I often visit it's totally disgusting (though the water company assures everyone it's perfectly safe), so I do get where you're coming from. Have you tried adding high juice, no added sugar squash to it? I find that if I add just a LITTLE bit to my glass of water it flavours it enough to disguise the nasty taste. If you want to avoid artificial sweeteners (I think they're fine, but some people don't) you could try a squeeze of lemon juice, or just drink more tea. Any non-alcoholic liquid = close enough to water as far as your kidneys are concerned.

If you MUST have fizz, have you tried the flavoured waters available? They can be diluted with water if they're too sweet for your taste but still disguise the nasty taste.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Try drinking it through a straw, that way it goes down without you tasting it much and you can drink a lot more.:drinker:
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Filter it through some coffee grounds and add creamer. :) My own well water is heavy in metals and saline, so I drink bottled spring water and use the well water for coffee and cooking/steaming, where the flavor doesn't matter.

This too
  • bluetiffanys
    Options
    My choice of drink is Dr. Pepper and/or Cherry Coke. Like you I do not care for water and can't stand the taste and smell of coffee, tea, anything of that nature. I do understand the importance and necessity of water though for our bodies. I use to not be able to stand water unless I just got done working outside in the garden or mowing on a hot day. For the past several years I have been trying to tough it out and drink at least 32 oz (1 large cup) of cold / very cold water Monday - Friday at work. I started out small, drink some water then some pop and start again. I started using the Crystal Light pink lemonade and peach tea mix at home. I wish I had a better idea. It is a real struggle for me to drink water on the weekends. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can't like the after-taste of sugar substitutes in diet coke. I walk around with the taste in my mouth for hours afterwards. The good thing with that is that I happily drink water rather than suffering that weird chemical taste over everything else I eat.

Have you tried having just a little bit of lemon or lime in the water? The water where I live how tastes really odd compared to where I used to, and I had to struggle to get used to drinking it. I would keep a jug of water in the fridge, with a slice of lemon in it, to be able to drink enough water. I still do that in summer, when it so often is tepid when it comes out of the tap.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have always been a water lover. However, a few years back, I started dating someone with a pretty serious diet soda habit, and I started drinking a lot of soda...

one day, I took a sip of water and it tasted GROSS.

I was horrified! I immediately stopped drinking soda, and within a few days, water tasted yummy again.

My theory is that there is something about soda that you get used to, to the point that water tastes yucky.

YMMV.
  • rustyroof
    rustyroof Posts: 76
    Options
    try a straw, helped me loads :0)
  • CALABRESE3
    CALABRESE3 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    MIO is definitely my answer..Love them!!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink straight water. You can hydrate yourself just fine with milk, tea, coffee, diet soda, ect.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If your used to drinking sweet fizzy drinks water will taste plain boring to you, you just need to get used to it. Try adding a slice of lime or lemon, might help add some taste to it for you.

ETA Are you talking about tap water? I only drink bottled water
  • tiffandknee
    Options
    infuse your water with several slices of lemon, cucumbers, whole mint leaves, and/or slices of strawberries. I usually make a pitcher and let it sit in the fridge overnight to really let the flavors soak. Gives the water flavor without the additives in crystal light powders, etc.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow, before I joined MFP I had no idea that there were people who didn't like the taste of water!! But I see people here saying it all the time - that they HATE the taste of water. It's crazy to me! I looooove the taste of water. I never drink anything else.

Maybe you just need to get used to it and it'll be an acquired taste?
  • grosa001
    grosa001 Posts: 4
    Options
    Theres a few companies out there that make flavored, no calorie, water beverages. Theyre awesome, and only a $1/bottle. My fav is called Sparkling Ice, they sell it at Wal-Mart. The stuff makes drinking water enjoyable - I'm not a fan of straight water either unless I just ran a few miles.

www.sparklingice.com
  • flutterbye811
    flutterbye811 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    add lemon, lime, or mint- look up recipes for water infusions, and as much as I sometimes use crystal light try to avoid them when you break your diet soda habit (hopefully you are trying to), they have the same ingredients as diet soda and the chemicals are not the healthiest for you.

http://sarahstanleyinspired.com/2011/07/12/water-infusions/
  • MagicalLeopleurodon
    MagicalLeopleurodon Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Most people i meet that say this are right to hate water-they drink the chlorinated water the city provides. im on a well-i love water. When i go to houses on city tap-i bring my own bottle