Water is disgusting

Options
12346»

Replies

• Gwyn1969
    Gwyn1969 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that hates water, he drinks fruit juice or herbal tea. If you like the fruit juice but don't want all the extra sugar/calories you could drink watered down fruit juice, or since you're addicted to soda, put a little fruit juice into a glass of carbonated water.

I happen to like throwing a bag of mint tea into a water bottle filled with cold water. Over time it becomes flavored with the mint, but it's not as strong as mint tea, plus it takes very little effort.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Most people i meet that say this are right to hate water-they drink the chlorinated water the city provides. im on a well-i love water. When i go to houses on city tap-i bring my own bottle

Yes--when I go to my sister's house (in the city) I bring my own water with me. Kind of a pain, but I CANNOT stand chlorinated water. I also often squeeze a wedge of organic lemon into a glass of water and then throw in the wedge (it adds further flavor). It adds a few calories (the juice from an entire lemon is only 22 calories and I generally only use a half or so per day). The lemon adds potassium and di-limonine to the water (has antiseptic qualities that wipe out any scratchy throat from a possible virus). I haven't contracted one virus while I have been doing the lemon water thing.
  • teamianoshea
    Options
    I've read/heard diet cokes are SUPER bad for you. I also hate drinking water though. When I drink it from a water bottle I find it more bearable. Even more so when I fill it up with ice and add a little lemon juice. Chewing on ice would be a good way to get water too!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Great post OP!

I was wondering the same thing about air. I mean it tastes just absolutely dreadful!

Is there anyway we can flavor the air to make it taste better?
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I see from your diary that you are working out. Just stop buying other beverages. If all you have with you during a hard workout is water, you will drink water. You are better off training your palate away from sweet beverages, since they make everything you eat taste less sweet. After a couple of weeks fresh strawberries will taste like the most amazing thing ever.

My kids used to refuse to drink water, and I was horrified by this. (Because as their parent it was my fault.) I stopped buying other beverages and placed a Brita full of water at the table for every meal. They drink it now without complaining. You can re-train yourself, you just have to decide to do it.

Edited to add: I do think some plastics taste really disgusting and I can't drink water out of them. Try drinking it from glass or metal water bottles and see if that helps.
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The only time I thought water was disgusting was when I was pregnant. Other than that, it's always been my drink of choice.

My little boy isn't a fan of water so he gets Kroger brand vitamin water. He likes it. My husband likes Propel.

Our refrigerator dispenser has a filter and I drink that all day.
  • klmoorman
    klmoorman Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just keep a water bottle with you... you would be surprised how much water you will drink if it is in front of you.. a few sips here and there add up! And i just got the crystal light straberry lemonade flavored water "enhancer" thing where u can pick how much u shoot in.. that stuff is awesome!!
  • champagndrea
    champagndrea Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Mio or Dasani drops? There's no calories and i've heard they're pretty good.
  • Zilla100
    Zilla100 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I CANNOT stand drinking still water beyond a sip at the water fountain after the elliptical at the gym. Years ago, to get off of soda, I began drinking plain seltzer. It is now about the ONLY thing I drink, and I drink tons of it. This might be a solution for OP..the carbonation could make a difference, and after all, it is only water, just fizzy.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You don't need to drink straight water. You can hydrate yourself just fine with milk, tea, coffee, diet soda, ect.
    QFT
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Plain seltzer or club soda... plus one sweet and low packet, plus lemon or lime juice.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you need to make yourself. A girl I know use to make herself drink one can's worth of water, before she allowed herself to drink a can of pop. Whatever she drank of pop, she had to drink that much of water as well. And now, I think she's been a year(?) without pop at all.
    You could try the same thing.
    Eat more water-filled foods. Like fruits and veggies. A lot of people will tell you that doesn't count, but honestly, you don't need 8, 8 oz of water a day
    Or maybe you need more. Your body is not the same as everyone else's What you want, is for your urine to run clear to light yellow (like lemon-aid) :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    right, people say im crazy when i say i literally CANNOT drink water, fruit tea has been suggested and that's disgusting too, ive been drinking around 2 pints of diet coke a day for the last few months, as well as 3 cups of tea with semi skim milk a day.

is there any suggestion of how i can get water into me without it tasting so gross?

Many Thanks,

Beth

There's water in both of those things...
  • Tabtom08
    Tabtom08 Posts: 1
    Options
    I don't mind water, I drink it all day. My husband on the other hand hates it. He loves the Mio drops. They are 0 calorie and contain b12 for energy. Honestly he uses a lot in his water and it tastes like Kool-Aid. I'm kind of a "real food" foody, so when I've tried his the artificial sweetener taste is really strong, and I don't care for it. But if you're used to drinking diet sodas you probably won't detect it all. He didn't even know that it had artificial sweetener in it, until I tasted it. His brother is a fire-fighter and is often working 24 hour or longer shifts and swears by the Mio drops. They have lots of different flavors too.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Great post OP!

I was wondering the same thing about air. I mean it tastes just absolutely dreadful!

Is there anyway we can flavor the air to make it taste better?

:flowerforyou:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    We installed an under-sink filter to take the "swimming pool/pond scum" taste out of our city water and enjoy it. The cats like it better, too. We tried the pitchers and then the faucet filters -- both of which worked fine for a bit -- before we decided to bite the bullet and go the under-sink route. The hardest part of installing one is committing to drill a hole through your counter. They are not really very expensive and we only change the filters twice a year.
  • bethcox16
    bethcox16 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I always find these posts to be ridiculous. Only in the good old USA would you find people *****ing about drinking water. Just drink your water, it isn't difficult.

I'm from the uk, and I have never drank water, even when I was a runner, I used to run for my school and was 2nd in my county for both the 800 metres and the 5 mile cross county, and even then I just drank icy lemon fanta or diet coke.

By the way, I've kinda figured out a system where I get a glass of water and try and down it then tip the rest down the sink, and go get a coke, many thanks for your suggestions.
  • jadeyq1
    jadeyq1 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Drink squash :) I put the smallest amount of squash in a pint glass and then fill it with water. I'm not a huge fan of water either but if you do that then you get the fruit flavour as well.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    right, people say im crazy when i say i literally CANNOT drink water, fruit tea has been suggested and that's disgusting too, ive been drinking around 2 pints of diet coke a day for the last few months, as well as 3 cups of tea with semi skim milk a day.

is there any suggestion of how i can get water into me without it tasting so gross?

Many Thanks,

Beth

Well, like many things that are good for your health, it is an acquired habit. Just try increasing it a little each day. Also, I don't know it it has been mentioned but adding a squeeze of lemon to your water can make it much more pleasant. You can add a drop of liquid stevia (it is an herbal that you can get at the health food store) if the slight tartness puts you off.