Is it just me, or does reheated chicken taste FUNKY??

Options
Any tips or tricks on how to stop reheated chicken breast from tasting icky??? To me, it gets a very weird aftertaste.
BTW the chicken has not gone bad, I just made it yesterday and it's been in the fridge.

Replies

• karisul1
    karisul1 Posts: 50
    Options
    I can't eat re-heated chicken (GAG!)

It either needs to be freshly cooked, or if it's cold, I will put it in a salad. But even then (in the salad) it tastes weird to me. :ohwell:
  • Fat2FitACE
    Options
    It makes me sick to even think about it. I see all these posts from fitness buff's on instagram preparing their meals for the week and all I can think is "no wonder your thin....I would through my lunch in the trash everyday if I had to eat that"

It is freshly cooked or not at all!:huh:
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    How do you reheat it?

I tend to cook it in something to reheat it, ie in a curry or stir fry.
  • Ashshell
    Ashshell Posts: 185
    Options
    I have to buy a rotisserie chicken from the deli if I'm going to have reheated chicken. I don't know why it tastes better, but it does. I can't eat reheated chicken breasts that I make at home. :sick:
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I usually reheat in the microwave, very rarely on the stove. Maybe I should try that. I will give the rotisserie chicken a try too. Thanks!
  • coleeli
    coleeli Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I HATE reheated chicken. BUT I've found the secret to making it normal. :)
    I've made 3 different recipes using a "rolled" chicken.

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/08/chicken-rollatini-stuffed-with-zucchini.html

It reheats marvelously in the microwave and in the oven. I was definitely suspicious of it because just the thought of it makes me gag, even while I was eating it I was in disbelief that it was tasting fine. But I swear it works. Just make a rollatini chicken recipe. :) SkinnyTaste has a few different ones.
  • Laurelthequeen
    Options
    My husband refuses to eat reheated chicken unless it's in a strong sauce like a curry. He says it tastes too "poultry-y." I agree, but I like eating chicken and I'm not about to cook it at work for my lunch.
  • just_fur_luck
    just_fur_luck Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    In for the Funky Chicken!

funky-chicken-o.gif
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Yes! I've been saying this to my husband for years and he says I'm the crazy one! I hate the taste of reheated chicken. The only thing I've found to make it somewhat better is to slightly undercook it so that when it reheats it's not overdone.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me.....I like freshly prepared food always. Even if I have a sandwich for lunch I pack all the components separately and assemble it fresh before I eat. The same with salads--I like my tomato and cucumber freshly cut. I can't help it---that's they way I like it. The more weight I lose the more I demand that the food I DO eat is the very best.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    hot sauce. Drown the chicken in it. I hate that nasty poultry taste too.
  • grlygrl123
    grlygrl123 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can't stand the taste of any reheated meat! GROSS!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I can taste a difference between freshly cooked and reheated, but it doesn't bother me.

But reheated pork is gross to me! I'll eat my leftover BBQ cold before i'll reheat it!
  • cleotherio
    cleotherio Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I only eat it cold, and it must be white meat chicken breast only. Usually I put some over a green salad, or I'll make a chicken salad with it. I rarely eat dark meat. The few times I've tried to save and re-use dark meat (like Thanksgiving leftovers), the taste made me gag, and the flavor ruined the rest of the white meat I had saved. If I have dark meat leftover, it goes straight in the trash.
  • Nicole65
    Nicole65 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I even have this problem trying to re-heat rotisserie chicken, I just did it last night... re-heated about 5 oz, and ate two bites before I couldn't choke down anymore due to the taste/smell. REALLY glad to hear that I'm not the only one.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you reheat it. Microwaving it or reheating at high heat will continue to cook the meat, to OVERCOOK it. As with any meat, you cook it to well done and it starts to have the texture and taste of shoe leather (whether it is the first time you cook it or you reheat it to well done). Meat also continues to cook after you take it off the heat (it's why you rest roasts or turkeys when you pull them out of an oven). Could be you're overcooking the meat and eating it before you know it.

To properly reheat, you want to put it in a pan at LOW heat and stir it around constantly until it reaches an adequate temp. Again, don't want to recook it, just warm it up.
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    There is a definite taste difference in microwave reheated chicken. It's funny you mention this. A week or so ago, I made garlic chicken stir fry, and there were leftovers so my husband ate them the next day. He commented on how the chicken has a weird taste even in the strong stir fry sauce.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    The only way I can eat it reheated is if I make a casserole and have leftovers.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i dont know i dont eat reheated chicken
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I find it's only weird if you warm it in the microwave. It seems the microwave changes the texture somehow. EWWW. I generally only make the amount I intend to eat. If I do have leftovers, I will warm it in the oven covered with foil or over the stove top with a little liquid depending on how the chicken was prepaid to begin with.