Is it just me, or does reheated chicken taste FUNKY??

Options

Replies

• sunnyflower1177
    Options
    nope its not you, reheated chicken is nasty!!!!!!!!
  • sab1157
    sab1157 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Same here. If I eat any leftover meat, I eat it cold. With the exception of meatloaf.
  • cbteegardin
    cbteegardin Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you reheat it. Microwaving it or reheating at high heat will continue to cook the meat, to OVERCOOK it. As with any meat, you cook it to well done and it starts to have the texture and taste of shoe leather (whether it is the first time you cook it or you reheat it to well done). Meat also continues to cook after you take it off the heat (it's why you rest roasts or turkeys when you pull them out of an oven). Could be you're overcooking the meat and eating it before you know it.

To properly reheat, you want to put it in a pan at LOW heat and stir it around constantly until it reaches an adequate temp. Again, don't want to recook it, just warm it up.

Just try this
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, just glad I'm not alone. All reheated meat tastes funky to me and I just can't do it.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one!!!! It tastes like a wet dog smells. I can't reheat chicken unless there's a lot of sauce and even then it's sketchy. If you pan heat it in sauce, I don't get the "wet dog" issue lol
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Yeah I cook a whole pack of chicken breast at a time but I only eat it hot the first time, the rest I usually just eat cold, or i'll reheat it in a frying pan with some veggies in a stir fry.
  • Motivatron
    Options
    I'm so glad to know that I'm not the only person who finds the smell of reheated chicken repulsive! I can eat it cold, or reheated with a lot of spices added to mask the smell, but just reheated = yecch!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I cut the chicken into bite size pieces and boil some chicken broth and pour it over the chicken but do not directly heat the chicken.
  • nelwerr
    Options
    You're not alone... My Husband says i'm too picky and it tastes fine the next day, but I find the taste revolting I GAG. As others said, unless it's in some kinda strong sauce, actually I'm eating Curry Chicken right now! I have found that Boneless chicken doesn't get that funky taste as much as with bones. and chicken breast doesn't get the taste as thighs and other fatty parts.

another way is before you cook the chicken, first rinse it from any preservatives, then soak it in some water, some plain white vinegar and some lemon juice. for 10-15 minutes. it works. you won't get ANY taste even if it's been in the fridge for 3 days!

another tip: always chop onions and cook it with the chicken. it absorbs all the stinkiness
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's just you.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    So basically you guys want your chicken to taste like nothing and not like chicken....
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Can't say I have this issue. But my only use of boneless, skinless chicken breast is to make a casserole for my puppy when he's sick, and he seems fine with it.

For me it's bone in, skin on, and brined.
  • Sharonneaton
    Sharonneaton Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have been taking the raw chicken off the bone and putting it in my food processor. I can shape into patties or nuggets seasoned to taste. After reheating these, i don't notice that taste plus they cook quicker. :smile:
  • nytrifisoul
    nytrifisoul Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Same here. If I eat any leftover meat, I eat it cold. With the exception of meatloaf.

What! I love cold meatloaf sandwiches. Plain white bread, alittle bit of ketchup....yum
  • Lhodge23
    Lhodge23 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've always hated the taste of reheated chicken...absolutely disgusting. The taste is indescribable. Last week I made "Chik-fil-A" chicken thinking that the heavily seasoned chicken would mask the leftover flavor....nope. I made it again this week, because it was so good fresh, but decided to try re-heating it in the toaster oven. I discovered the answer!! I PROMISE y'all, it didn't have that nasty taste whatsoever. It has something to do with the microwave. I had the leftovers twice. I'm so excited to have finally found a way to enjoy (not gag) leftover chicken. I really hope y'all try it. The only reason I joined this site was to let everyone know :)
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I can't eat re-heated chicken (GAG!)

It either needs to be freshly cooked, or if it's cold, I will put it in a salad. But even then (in the salad) it tastes weird to me. :ohwell:

Me neither, I never eat reheated chicken, fish or shrimp. They are all perfectly good cold. A fabulous dish is great hot or cold.
  • MelaniaMadison
    Options
    No one is pickier than me when it comes to reheated food. And yes chicken tastes and smells baaaad when its been reheated. This is why I could never do that thing people do where they pre make all their meals for the week.

My advice, just make the chicken fresh and pre make everything else.
  • JMTaucher
    JMTaucher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I really only ever have that issue with poor-quality chicken TBH. Since I switched to buying whole chickens from a local butcher or reputable farm that doesn't use hormones/antibiotics/poor-quality grain and are truly free-range, my leftover, reheated chicken is pretty amazing.

Also, because I brine and smoke them, I can use the cooked meat for all kinds of things as well as making amazing chicken stock from the carcass. I just made some smoked chicken nachos for dinner last night in the microwave that were delicious. No funky or dried out chicken at all. :smile:

I'm also VERY careful to cook, store and reheat to the proper temps to inhibit and kill bacterial growth.

FYI, NEVER undercook chicken to try and keep moisture. Brine it for a few hours before cooking it instead.

FYI #2, buy at least one good thermometer for your fridge and make sure it's between 33 and 39 degrees at the top and bottom shelves. Improper refrigeration temperature can and will promote bacterial growth, which contributes to funky tastes/smells (not to mention projectile... well, you know).
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    magerum wrote: »
    It's just you.
    +1

Reheated chicken is just fine.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Microwaves turn chicken into rubber. Try sauteing in a little olive oil.